OTA vs custom kernel....notice any difference?

Last Updated:

1. aznmode

aznmode Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I use Baked Snack 1.7 and I tried the deodexed version of the OTA but noticed no change. Infact I found the OTA would stutter sometimes when scrolling. Also compared to CM6 and Neterchy kernel 4.1.9.1 I don't see it being same or better besides it being official. I know pretty soon the devs will have their own version but for now I don't see a reason to update.

Advertisement
    madiom likes this.
  2. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

I also see no change, except the HTC version stutters. I believe the reason we don't see stuttering with the custom kernel is not because of the FPS fix, but because of better CPU throttling governance, and possibly HAVS if that is part of your kernel.

The more standard deviation you see in FPS2D, the more stutter you will see in normal operation. Lately, my custom kernels show less than 3 stdev, meaning the FPS is very stable. Meanwhile the HTC benchmark shows stdev in the 9s. Comparable to my old charts when the FPS was first uncapped, but little CPU optimization work had been incorporated.

3. aznmode

Great info. Thanks. Just glad I wasn't the only one seeing no difference. I was about to redo the OTA just incase it didn't update correctly but I'm gonna stick with Baked for now.

4. aznmode

Anyone else find custom kernel better than OTA?

5. TheManRSW

TheManRSW Well-Known Member

I'm running Baked Snack 1.75 with the kernel that comes with it (#3). The fps average with fps2d is 53 with a deviation of 2.6. The kernel (havs) with uncapped fps and some tweaks to cpu is running stutter free and seems to have good battery life under moderate use. I'm not a heavy user, but I do use internet and text messaging throughout the day, as well as talk for about two hours.

6. aznmode

I take it you are sticking to baked snack.