OTA with 2.3.340, and rooted with z4root

Last Updated:

1. colchiro

colchiro Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Woke at 2 a.m. and decided to check for update, found it and was ready to install a few minutes later... only took about 5 minutes.

Was disappointed that I no longer had root so opened z4root, yup, still there, but it said it wasn't rooted, so I tapped root. It ran about 10 seconds and I saw boot screen (oh crap).

It booted into recovery, (well at least I still have CW Recovery) so I decided to make a backup while I was there, then rebooted.

Next thing I knew I had root. :cool:

Droidx overclock complained about only installing from Market the first time I ran it, the second time it told me what's new and let me set my settings, but the desktop app didn't show them, next thing I knew that had updated.

Everything's working just fine, a little slower than I remembered, but that always happens after OTA updates until files are cached.

Think I'll deodex tonight and check out new roms. :D

Advertisement
  2. Caveman419

Caveman419 Well-Known Member

Do you know if this means that those of us that have updated to the OTA can now install the newer ROMs like Apex 1.2.1 and Tranq 3.6?

3. colchiro

colchiro Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

If a rom requires you to install the android 2.2.1 leak (install.zip) before installing the rom, I would think installing the OTA would be the same thing.

I wouldn't install any rom that doesn't.

That's what I'm doing after work today.

4. Keyan

Keyan Well-Known Member

I don't want to create a new topic so I'll ask here since it's OTA related.

I am deodex'd with 928black glass, 2.2, 2.3.15, can I OTA? When i check for system updates it says Theres nothing new at this time.

I am trying to get the update and switch over to apeX.

Ideas? Any help would be appreciated.

5. Caveman419

That is what I thought too. I just was hoping to hear if from other experienced users before moving onto the newer ROMs from Fab and P3. I have been waiting patiently for them. :D

6. Caveman419

I was in the same spot. I actually installed the backup from right before I deodexed last night before bed and the update was there for me this morning.

Not sure that you need to go back to pre-deodex though.

7. Diz

Diz Well-Known Member

I'd just apply the leak from somewhere. I'm not sure if Motorola still blocks updates for people who have rooted their phone or not.

8. Gareee

Gareee Well-Known Member

I unrooted and got the update, updated, and when I ran zroot the phone hung on the rooting message.

I'm doing a battery pull, and will retry to root again.

9. deftdrummer

deftdrummer Well-Known Member

Can someone please tell me how to get the OTA update? I'm on 2.2 rooted with Z4, and I have removed some bloat. I understand that I will need to reinstall this bloatware before I update, and I will probably lose root in the update process.

Can someone kind of walk me through this? Last time I screwed up my DX big time and it's running perfectly. I want copy and paste though!

10. thenew3

thenew3 Well-Known Member

No you can't. I had the same setup and the OTA downloaded but would not install.

11. Keyan

Keyan Well-Known Member

how did you fix this issue?

12. Caveman419

You need to either:

a) flash your nandroid backup that you made after you obtained root and before you flashed 928Black Glass to deodex

or

b) flash the .sbf file that corresponds to your bootloader

13. Keyan

Keyan Well-Known Member

I could have sworn in clockwork I checked "backup" but the only backup I see listed is 2 days after I had already deodexed. crap.

I think Im screwed, may have to use the .sbf.

flashing the sbf will revert everything to stock completely?

14. mxsjw

mxsjw Well-Known Member

Just another opinion...I'm going to wait till we can actually pull the update and test for myself. There is so much conflicting information about this, it's not worth it for me to lose everything without knowing for sure. The only way I can know for sure is to test it myself.

15. droid_freak

droid_freak Well-Known Member

"TranQ 3.51 is already .340 as per P3 tweet, Who is running TranQ 3.5.1, if you are then you are already on .340.. just FYI, who lovs you baby" P3

16. Caveman419

I think if you do not wipe data after you flash the .sbf you might not lose everything. I just read this somewhere else but can not find it right now, will post it if I find it.

17. Keyan

Keyan Well-Known Member

I have no problem "wiping" everything, I can just grab everything back from a titanium backup save, right?

18. Caveman419

Correct, just do not reinstall any of the system data, only apps and app data.

19. Keyan

Keyan Well-Known Member

ok, I will give this all a try later tonight and report back (hopefully) a success.