• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Sprint] OTAs

Granted I haven't been on htc for a while, but I'm pretty sure with the custom recovery in place, you could download the OTA. But it's going to fail when you try to install it, because it needs the stock recovery to install an OTA.

The easiest method, wait it out for a dev to update to the latest OTA, flash the newest radio along with the updated rom for that OTA.

However if your persistent on taking the official OTA , flash on the stock recovery to get it to install. Doing this, I'm almost 100% positive, will kill your root. And if your Hboot gets upgraded, depending how quickly the devs are working, there could be a short wait on a new root.

Having that said, just flash a rom based off of the newest :)

Upvote 0
Granted I haven't been on htc for a while, but I'm pretty sure with the custom recovery in place, you could download the OTA. But it's going to fail when you try to install it, because it needs the stock recovery to install an OTA.

The easiest method, wait it out for a dev to update to the latest OTA, flash the newest radio along with the updated rom for that OTA.

However if your persistent on taking the official OTA , flash on the stock recovery to get it to install. Doing this, I'm almost 100% positive, will kill your root. And if your Hboot gets upgraded, depending how quickly the devs are working, there could be a short wait on a new root.

Having that said, just flash a rom based off of the newest :)

All good, gonna stick to this stock rom until camera code is released, I'm digging Zoe and the other camera features.

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
one actual advantage of htc dev is that the only way you could not easily re-root is if they released and OTA that relocked your botloader,and removed unlock support :eek: i do not think that will happen.

however,if you have a custom recovery in place,you cannot accept the OTAs. the custom recovery is unable to install firmware and other aspects like the stock recovery does,and attempting to jam you up to a point where recovery is difficult(potentially impossible)

in some cases OTAs can be accepted naturally while rooted,by leaving the stock recovery in place,however,alot of factors must be correct,so simply leaving recovery stock does not gaurantee OTAs will succeed.

your best bet if you want to be rooted,as has been mentioned,is DO NOT ACCEPT OTAs. rom devs will bake the updates into custom roms you can flash in recovery,and the firmware packages will be pulled from the OTA downloads for you to manually install on your phone.

so dont worry,your not stuck without updates. youll just have to apply them more manually,rather than trying to accept an OTA on the phone. :)

hope that all made sense :)

Upvote 0
for others interested,that is just new firmware,so its not the complete update. bootloader will need relocked in order to flash,and it will update hboot,radio.etc.

a recovery flashzble rom should be available on xda somewhere as well. flashing the firmware in hboot,and the rom in recovery will effectively give you the entire update :)

be caustious with firmware updates. currently,hboot is allowing radio and boot image flashes in recovery(i believe). same thing happened with one s and one hboot updates removed those priveleges :eek:

Reactions: gonowhere
Upvote 0
I don't want to lose root & I am kind of an idiot as to how to flash a new ROM that may contain the full "updates".

When I first got my OG Evo 4G I had no idea how to flash new ROM and now I'm a flashaholic. You're gonna get used to it and the great thing about it is that there is a nice small community here that can help you with anything. Most ROM threads have a instructions on how to flash a ROM.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones