• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Other Networks

oChi

Lurker
Feb 13, 2013
Hello,
I'm confused; all threads I've read mention "unlocking" only when dicussing rooting. Does a phone need to be rooted in order to "unlock" mobile network options, e.g., if taking hardware over to a different carrier than the one through which the phone was purchased?

Please advice as I cannot seem to find this info out for myself. Thanks!

So...no one seems to be able to answer this question; are there other sites I should be looking into for this info?

Re Legality of unlocking: in the U.S. it's now illegal to "unlock" any phone purchased on/after Jan. 26th(?), 2013, the official date the Librarian of Congress removed cell phone unlocking from its list of DMCA exemptions.

Upvote 0
The Rezound has been successfully used on several other networks, with either the Global Mode leaked RUU or a custom ROM it has been used on T-Mobile, AT&T, Page Plus, Straight Talk, and most other US carriers (except Sprint to my knowledge). It does require some work on your end, and a "donor" cheapo phone in some cases, but I would suggest checking out the Rezound forums on XDA for more information on this topic.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones