Other StorageGeneral

Last Updated: 2013-01-31 21:20:56
  1. anjali001

anjali001 New Member

Hi all!

I just got this phone (switching from an old iPhone 3GS) and it's been great! I'm loving the flexibility on Android. One question - 64 GB is tons of space and I'm not worried about running out soon or anything but when I look at the storage it says that there is 9.47 GB under "Other". Is this just Android and Sense taking up that much space? I expected a few gigs but close to 10 seems like a lot! Just wanted to see if that was normal. Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. Hjortron

Hjortron Active Member

Wow. I'm in the same boat! I just got my phone last Thursday (have been playing with it all weekend, and am loving it), and I was JUST wondering about this VERY QUESTION last night! I was Googling it, in fact (to no avail). Mine is showing "Other" at 9.41GB. Very strange. I can't imagine that Sense is THAT big (is it?). I was hoping to find some sort of utility on the Play Store, which might be more specific about telling me what that 9.41GB is made up of. I can see that I'm the first reply you've got. Am hoping you'll get a few with some answers...
  3. RigelX

RigelX Well-Known Member

It might also include all of the non-removable-unless-you-root bloatware.
    I'm showing 9.17Gb under "Other".
    Might be able to find out using a file manager.
  4. anjali001

anjali001 New Member

Yeah that could be it - there is an ungodly amount of AT&T crap loaded on there. Thank god it's 64GB, if it was 16GB it would be already full! I just wanted to make sure mine wasn't an anomaly. Thanks for the help guys!
  5. JAy3001

JAy3001 Well-Known Member

Mine also states the same under "Other" so I doubt it is anything to worry about. Think yourself lucky its not a Win8 phone, 4GB internal space, no move to SD card and the OS takes up 2.8GB of the 4GB your supposed to get! I hear its even worse on the Surface tablet.
  6. Driftfog

Driftfog Well-Known Member

Your lucky my "other" is 10.24GB with 02 in the UK.

Apps only take up a tiny amount of space these operating systems must be huge and what bloat-ware is near that size?
    I remember in 1998 getting a PC with 6gb hard drive and people telling me I would never ever fill it as that was massive amount of storage :rolleyes:
  7. RigelX

RigelX Well-Known Member

Heh. I remember feeling the same way when I upgraded from a 40mb hard drive to a 500mb!
  8. Hjortron

Hjortron Active Member

Those were the days, eh? My first computer (a Macintosh Performa 630 CD) had a 250Mb hard drive. I think we're showing our age with this conversation... ;)
  9. RigelX

RigelX Well-Known Member

I think you're right. Since posting that I've been thinking about my first computer... A Timex-Sinclair with 8kb (that's "kilobytes" for you youngsters) of RAM and used an audio cassette recorder for storage.
  10. Hjortron

Hjortron Active Member

OUCH!!! You win! ;)