General Other Storage

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by anjali001, Jan 23, 2013.

1. anjali001

anjali001 New Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Hi all!

I just got this phone (switching from an old iPhone 3GS) and it's been great! I'm loving the flexibility on Android. One question - 64 GB is tons of space and I'm not worried about running out soon or anything but when I look at the storage it says that there is 9.47 GB under "Other". Is this just Android and Sense taking up that much space? I expected a few gigs but close to 10 seems like a lot! Just wanted to see if that was normal. Thanks!

Advertisement

2. Hjortron

Hjortron Active Member

Nov 30, 2012
    Male
    Systems Administrator
    San Francisco, CA
    Wow. I'm in the same boat! I just got my phone last Thursday (have been playing with it all weekend, and am loving it), and I was JUST wondering about this VERY QUESTION last night! I was Googling it, in fact (to no avail). Mine is showing "Other" at 9.41GB. Very strange. I can't imagine that Sense is THAT big (is it?). I was hoping to find some sort of utility on the Play Store, which might be more specific about telling me what that 9.41GB is made up of. I can see that I'm the first reply you've got. Am hoping you'll get a few with some answers...

3. RigelX

RigelX Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Alabama
    It might also include all of the non-removable-unless-you-root bloatware.
    I'm showing 9.17Gb under "Other".
    Might be able to find out using a file manager.

4. anjali001

anjali001 New Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Yeah that could be it - there is an ungodly amount of AT&T crap loaded on there. Thank god it's 64GB, if it was 16GB it would be already full! I just wanted to make sure mine wasn't an anomaly. Thanks for the help guys!

5. JAy3001

JAy3001 Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Male
    UK
    Mine also states the same under "Other" so I doubt it is anything to worry about. Think yourself lucky its not a Win8 phone, 4GB internal space, no move to SD card and the OS takes up 2.8GB of the 4GB your supposed to get! I hear its even worse on the Surface tablet.

6. Driftfog

Driftfog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Male
    Fork Lift Truck Dealership Linde
    Merseyside
    Your lucky my "other" is 10.24GB with 02 in the UK.

Apps only take up a tiny amount of space these operating systems must be huge and what bloat-ware is near that size?
    I remember in 1998 getting a PC with 6gb hard drive and people telling me I would never ever fill it as that was massive amount of storage :rolleyes:

7. RigelX

RigelX Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Alabama
    Heh. I remember feeling the same way when I upgraded from a 40mb hard drive to a 500mb!

8. Hjortron

Hjortron Active Member

Nov 30, 2012
    Male
    Systems Administrator
    San Francisco, CA
    Those were the days, eh? My first computer (a Macintosh Performa 630 CD) had a 250Mb hard drive. I think we're showing our age with this conversation... ;)

9. RigelX

RigelX Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Alabama
    I think you're right. Since posting that I've been thinking about my first computer... A Timex-Sinclair with 8kb (that's "kilobytes" for you youngsters) of RAM and used an audio cassette recorder for storage.

10. Hjortron

Hjortron Active Member

Nov 30, 2012
    Male
    Systems Administrator
    San Francisco, CA
    OUCH!!! You win! ;)