Otterbox Case for Samsung MomentTips

Last Updated:

1. darkspork

darkspork Member This Topic's Starter

I couldn't find a review on the Otterbox Commuter case for the Samsung Moment but I couldn't wait so I ordered one from the Otterbox website for $31.45 with free ground shipping using coupon code "techbargains6100p" (expires on the 31st). Delivery was fast, I ordered Tuesday night and got it today. I don't like buying things without reading reviews so I figured I'd post this for other people that feel the same.

Inside the box:
    Inside the box is the case (2 pieces), a screen protector and a microfiber cleaning cloth. I can't comment on the quality of the screen protector because I had one of the "invisishield" screen protectors put on the phone the day I bought it.

Materials and quality:
    *The case has a silicone layer on the inside that shouldn't scratch the phone, and has a hard plastic shell.
    *The case makes the phone feel sturdy and seems like it would do a good job absorbing shock if the phone were to be dropped.
    *I like the way the phone feels in my hand with the case on it, I also like that the phone won't get stuck in my pockets.
    *The case has a nice look to it. The back is textured (I think brushed aluminum is the texture they wanted to give it, maybe woodgrain or a cross of the two)

Fit:
    *The fit is mostly perfect. It has a cutout for the headphone jack, micro-usb port, microphone (on bottom of phone), front speaker, and back speaker. The side buttons are covered in silicone, but have raised portions where the buttons are. The volume rocker has arrows on it, but the buttons on the other side are not labeled (voice recognition, camera, but I know which one is which).
    *The part of the case that goes on the screen half of the phone has an indent on the left, to aid sliding the phone open.
    *The case snaps on very easily (it has snaps, I don't know if they are the same as the body glove snaps but they work fine) but is much harder to get off (not too hard, just hard enough that it won't accidentally come off).
    *The main problem with the fit of this case is that it does interfere with the slider mechanism which makes it a little bit harder to open (just initially until it starts moving) and when you slide it shut you need to press the two halves together to shut it all the way.
    *It adds less than 1/4 inch of bulk (possibly closer to 1/8 inch but I am terrible at guessing lengths and don't have a ruler handy).

Competitiveness:
    I have seen people ask how it compares to the body glove. I did not buy or own a body glove so I can't really give a fair comparison. The body glove looks thinner and possibly less protective. I don't know what the texture is of the body glove but it seems similar. It doesn't seem like there are a lot of cases made for our phone so I don't know what else to compare it to.

Conclusion:
    I wouldn't pay over $30 for this case. It will probably turn up on amazon.com for less than that within a few months. The quality of the case is good, but I think I might have paid a little bit extra to have the brand. If you already have a case you are happy with like the body glove it is probably better keep using that until the price comes down significantly.

I didn't include any pictures because Otterbox has has some on their website, hope this helps.

Advertisement
    chibucks, Coldcloud and speciala106 like this.
  2. Coldcloud

Coldcloud Well-Known Member

Does this case add much weight to the phone? I have been on the fence on whether I should get this case or not. How has the case been handling the phone since you got it?

-Thanks

3. darkspork

Sorry for the delayed response, I didn't think anybody was interested in my post so I stopped checking it. I ordered the case within a week of getting my phone so I didn't get a lot of time to get used the phone's weight without the case.

The case itself is extremely light, I would think you would be hard pressed to notice any real difference it weight. While it doesn't make a real difference the added bulk makes the phone feel like it could be heavier (only when held in my hands). The bulk and weight are not bothersome to me, and I generally keep my phone in my pocket (coming from a Motorola Razr).

It's comfortable for me to have it in my pocket, but the contrast between it and a modern flip phone constantly leaves me frantically searching for my work phone when I put it in my pocket (I've been called an idiot several times for it).

The case handles the phone well. It is an excellent fit and makes the phone feel very well protected (to me at least). The issue I mentioned in my first post with the sliding action is no longer present. I have no complaints about the case and would not hesitate to recommend it to somebody that wants to protect their phone.

Coldcloud likes this.
  4. chibucks

chibucks Well-Known Member

thanks darkspork for the post - i ended up picking one up too.

it does add some substance to the phone, but the case is solid... and it does solidify the keyboard slide out (the wobble). personally, i haven't had a better case than this... definitely quality.

Coldcloud likes this.
  5. Bacabachaui

Bacabachaui New Member

I just got this case today, and it definitly feels like it protects the phone. The slider is a bit rough now and I don't really like it. Hopefully it goes away. I didn't install the screen protector I don't usually like those.

6. darkspork

As an update, this case is garbage. Don't get me wrong, it's probably the best snap-on case for this phone, but it's not worth the price. After a 3 1/2 months of service, half of the snaps have broken off. The case will not stay on snugly anymore. If I never had to take the case off it may still be fine, but as it is I had to remove my battery almost every day due to lock-ups. I'm pretty dissapointed as my impression of Otterbox was that they make tough cases.

My apologies go out to anybody who I made waste money on this accessory.

7. kiddk1

kiddk1 Well-Known Member

the body glove case is good, I had the cheap ebay ones but they kept falling off.

8. HeadlessPonch

HeadlessPonch Well-Known Member

My nephew loves his iPhone Otterbox case, but then it has no moving parts.

The Wife has one of those soft silicone Moment covers off of ebay. It was like $4 or $5, can't remember. Feels slick, like I'm going to drop it, but it would probably bounce a couple times if dropped. The case also sometimes gets in the way of pulling down the notification bar. I don't have a cover myself, since I have either fit the phone in my pocket, or in a belt holster at work.

9. NYdroid33

NYdroid33 Well-Known Member

yea you can get custom cases on ebay for dirt cheap but dont expect those clips to stay on for any more than a month. I made that mistake too many times. Im shocked this Otterbox is the same way considering the price (even though I was going ti buy it on eBay for $24.99). The Bodyglove ones looks okay, Im not a fan of the kickstand tho this isnt an Evo. Who knows how good that even is though as it uses the same clips everyone else uses. Dont get me wrong the cases defenitly protect the phone but the case cant handle too much abuse (which is supposed to be the point). I just stopped using them because I decided enough was enough but I thought the Ottorbox was finally something worth taking a second look at