• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Otterbox case for the HTC EVO 4G LTE.

I wish they are going to have the commuter case in stock as well but I doubt it. I have seen reviews where there are air pockets/watermarks in between the screen and the screen protector layer of the defender case. I wonder if this will happen with this version of the defender. I know there are ways that supposedly fix this issue. I wonder how much thicker each case makes the 0.35" (8.9 mm) EVO LTE.

Never had water marks on the defenders. Ballistic yes. I am fine if it adds to the thickness, if I know my phone is protected.

Upvote 0
I wonder how much thicker each case makes the 0.35" (8.9 mm) EVO LTE.

HTC Evo 4G LTE's dimensions and weight:
5.3 x 2.7 x 0.35 inches; 4.7 ounces

Defender's dimensions and weight (per Amazon):
5.8 x 3.2 x 0.8 inches; 4.8 ounces

Commuter's dimensions and weight (per Amazon):
5.6 x 3 x 0.6 inches; 3.2 ounces

Upvote 0
I wish they are going to have the commuter case in stock as well but I doubt it. I have seen reviews where there are air pockets/watermarks in between the screen and the screen protector layer of the defender case. I wonder if this will happen with this version of the defender. I know there are ways that supposedly fix this issue. I wonder how much thicker each case makes the 0.35" (8.9 mm) EVO LTE.

To fix this issue on my evo3d I took the plastic protector in the defender out and applied a zagg shield and then put the case back on.... No more dirt underneath it no more oil spots and the screen is a million times more crisp and clear... I would suggest that fix to anyone.... I will be doing the same thing with my evo4g lte ( when I get it). :D

Upvote 0
I think I'm going to avoid the defender series, for both the price and what appears to be a slight design flaw. It appears that the USB port cover is a pretty significant nub on the side/back edge that looks like it will cause the phone to rock unevenly when utilizing the kickstand. I know it's not a huge deal, and the thing can surely be cut/ripped off, but there was a similar issue with an old Sedio case on me OG Evo (not a port cover, just a plain design flaw) that got under my skin when I was using it.

Upvote 0
I think I'm going to avoid the defender series, for both the price and what appears to be a slight design flaw. It appears that the USB port cover is a pretty significant nub on the side/back edge that looks like it will cause the phone to rock unevenly when utilizing the kickstand. I know it's not a huge deal, and the thing can surely be cut/ripped off, but there was a similar issue with an old Sedio case on me OG Evo (not a port cover, just a plain design flaw) that got under my skin when I was using it.

I just need the protection in my professional or the ole LTEvo will be toast before you know it lol.. Honestly if I had a desk job or something not physical I probably wouldn't even case it its so pretty... It pains me to have the defender on my beautiful white 3vo but it would be oil brown now if not for it... Lol

Upvote 0
I got the pink and white one from Sprint because cause I was getting a car dock too and saved 20%. I have never used Otterbox only Seidio and I am getting the Seidio surface case too. This case reminded me of Sedios active case which I love so that is why I was wanting to try it. Pink and Purple my 2 favorite colors. I wish Seidio made pink but there active has it's own generic kickstand so I am going with the surface which I had on my 3D with a kickstand. I also had an active for my 3D which was the best.

Upvote 0
Now I'm trying to decide--Otterbox Defender case or Otterbox Commuter case? I've had neither for my OG EVO--I used a different protective case--so I'm in decision mode here. I like the defender, but it seems to make the phone look too bulky and all.

Luckily the official card dock for the LTEVO has an insert you can remove so that supposedly larger cases will fit! So, that's not something you'd need to factor in.

Reactions: 3vodroid
Upvote 0
So which is "better"--the commuter case or the defender case? The latter does look more durable, but as someone who has dropped his phone but 3 times in 18 months, I'm wondering if it'd be a tad too bulky for me.
The Defender is the tougher of the two without a doubt. But where I just read that the phone is slightly larger than the Moto Droid Razr...it could be a monster :eek:

Upvote 0
Now I'm trying to decide--Otterbox Defender case or Otterbox Commuter case? I've had neither for my OG EVO--I used a different protective case--so I'm in decision mode here. I like the defender, but it seems to make the phone look too bulky and all.

Personally, i have had the defender on every phone ive ever had.. and my excuse my french.. ipodtouch4g... Yes the defender adds extra bulk but it depends what you do for a living.. im a mechanic.. its important that i have something that will not only save my phone from a fall.. but from grease, grime,oil,.. all the ports have plugs..also bumping into things as im trying to squeeze into tight spots.. its always on my hip.. which is another reason i say go defender.. the holster is fool proof imo.. ive never had it fall out of the holster... and while yes i have had 2 clips break.. you rbing it anywhere otterboxs are sold and your sure to get a replacement.. i guess what im trying to say is if i had a desk job, or retail or anything thats not physical.. i would go with the commuter.. im also a big guy..6'4 so really i dont mind the extra bulk.. i actually prefer it. i have already put on hold a blue defender at the radioshack that i preordered.. i went with the blue bc i wanyted something different.. ive always had plain black defenders. For the weekends when i dont need the extra protection, i would go commuter but they only have the pink/white in stores at the moment.. so i bought the blue gel case that sprint has in stores right now

Upvote 0
I'm considering a Defender, based solely on how thin the LTE is. I've managed to keep my EVO 4G without a scratch using a Commuter case...but...that case has been swapped out by Sprint and Otterbox several times in 25 months. The only thing that has deterred me from getting a Defender case in the past, is the integrated screen protector (and the size a little). But Otterbox is a top notch company that stands behind it's product 110%, and I was told by a CSR that they back up the integrated screen protector as well as any other component of the case.
The extra heft going into the new phone may be what I prefer. Actually...looking at the specs, the LTE Defender is the exact same thickness as the EVO 4G Commuter. Decisions..decisions... :)

Upvote 0
I'm considering a Defender, based solely on how thin the LTE is. I've managed to keep my EVO 4G without a scratch using a Commuter case...but...that case has been swapped out by Sprint and Otterbox several times in 25 months. The only thing that has deterred me from getting a Defender case in the past, is the integrated screen protector (and the size a little). But Otterbox is a top notch company that stands behind it's product 110%, and I was told by a CSR that they back up the integrated screen protector as well as any other component of the case.
The extra heft going into the new phone may be what I prefer. Actually...looking at the specs, the LTE Defender is the exact same thickness as the EVO 4G Commuter. Decisions..decisions... :)

Personally...that is the one thing about the defender that i am not a fan of at all.. oil and dirt was alwyas getting under the screen.. i am highly anal about stuff getting under the screen.. to the point where i need to stop what im doing and clean it out.. itjust irks me... also the built in protector kind of distorts the screen a tad.. it just doesnt seem to look the same as if it didnt have anything on it.. so what i did on my 3vo is i took the built in protector out.. it just pulls right off no problem.. and i put a zagg shield on my 3vo and then put the otterbox on as normal.. not only is it now impossible for anything to get under it.. my screen is much more vibrant.. while i was at best buy today i bought a zagg shield for the ltevo and i plan on doing the same thing to this phone as i did with the 3vo

Upvote 0
I've had the Commuter series on my HTC Hero and my current Evo 3D. It wasn't out when i got my original Evo so I just bought a cheap lil gel case for it and never ended up upgrading.
My dad had a Defender on his work AT&T iPhone (don't worry, he's since switched to a SGS2 and loves it) and I just thought it was too bulky.
Anyway, I'm going with another Commuter case as long as it's made available in the near future.

Upvote 0
Personally...that is the one thing about the defender that i am not a fan of at all.. oil and dirt was alwyas getting under the screen.. i am highly anal about stuff getting under the screen.. to the point where i need to stop what im doing and clean it out.. itjust irks me... also the built in protector kind of distorts the screen a tad.. it just doesnt seem to look the same as if it didnt have anything on it.. so what i did on my 3vo is i took the built in protector out.. it just pulls right off no problem.. and i put a zagg shield on my 3vo and then put the otterbox on as normal.. not only is it now impossible for anything to get under it.. my screen is much more vibrant.. while i was at best buy today i bought a zagg shield for the ltevo and i plan on doing the same thing to this phone as i did with the 3vo
That's an excellent idea! I had a zagg screen protector on my Moto Q9...and it was a bugger to get on cleanly (I'm anal as anal can be). I also had one on my Canon G9 display, which wasn't as bad...but still. I'm thinking maybe Defender with the Commuter screen protector?

OH...BTW...the "first" Moto Q9 I had with the zagg shield on it? Was in my back pocket...I tripped stepping backwards and the pointy, business end of a big rock got the better of it and shattered the screen. The screen protector was in perfect shape though...and zagg sent me a new one under warranty. The phone cost me like $100 to replace. But I was glad I had the screen protector on it... :laugh:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones