Otterbox Commuter DHDAccessories

1. djdillpickle

djdillpickle Well-Known Member

Hi guys

I picked up the Otterbox commuter for the DHD recently after some thought on the Defender product from this thread

http://androidforums.com/desire-hd-...box-defender-series-htc-desire-hd-review.html

I thought it was too bulky.

I am very happy with the commuter; I have no concerns about 1-2m drops, slips, falls and such.

It's is not bulky; just an extension on the phone itself.

The silicone layer is under the hard case, which makes it very easy to slide out of pockets etc.

4.5/5

Advertisement
    :
  2. AussieAndroid

AussieAndroid Well-Known Member

I bought the Otterbox Commuter case over the weekend.

Nice case. It's not as bulky as others, but it definitely does add a bit to the feel size-wise.

A couple things I am worried about...

- The silicone insert that sits inbetween the phone and the hardcase has a flimsy cutout bit at the botton to accomodate the USB and headphone connections. It gets caught in your pocket and stretches and will be a problem eventually. I think I may try super gluing the silicone to the case along this edge permanently.

- The silicone insert, while only the corners are exposed, is enough to grab onto material when I try pull it out of my pocket. It's not a deal breaker, but put it this way, everytime I pull my phone out, I end up with an inside out pocket :p
  3. djdillpickle

hmm, I guess our technique differs when it comes to pulling our phones out of jeans pockets etc as I don't really have problems.
  4. AussieAndroid

AussieAndroid Well-Known Member

Haha I guess so!
    or you have silk lined pockets :p

I'm thankful I got it though. Dropped my phone for the 2nd time ever last night.
    Case works
  5. Mi-Nigle

Mi-Nigle Member

Really is a good case. The back has cracked on mine, but it was from a fair old height (I was climbing) and the phone is fine! Literally looks good as new :)

Still completely usable with the little crack and with the silicone insert it just bounces off rocks!
  6. vid

vid Member

My commuter case has 2 cracks (which I've reinfored with a drop of superglue), which is a tad annoying but also is good as it means the damage isn't on my handset. My biggest annoyance is that the thin strip silicone at the base of the screen has stretched and usually gets caught when taking my phone out of my pocket. If you don't understand what I mean, here is a picture:
    [​IMG]
  7. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

That made me chuckle.
  8. djdillpickle

@vid

Yep, that little bit is definitely the major concern.
  9. ral

ral Well-Known Member

I love the case, but my Commuter has developed two cracks beside the power and volume buttons in less than two months of use.
  10. ral

ral Well-Known Member

Here are the pictures on the cracks on my case.

[​IMG]

I am going try to fix it by:

1. Apply a temporary cast (scotch tape) on the outside.
    2. Apply super glue in the inner side of the case and let it rest for two days.
    3. Apply a thing piece of plastic on the inside of the case and stick it with super glue as reinforcement.
    4. Remove the temporary case on the fourth day.

And other advice. TIA.
  11. Mi-Nigle

Mi-Nigle Member

It's a shame yours has developed cracks so early on. Fixing may be more trouble than it's worth and I'd definitely give emailing Otterbox a try. They have great customer service and helped me out with another problem I had.
    If not then I really don't think those two cracks will affect how well it protects the phone, unless a chunk actually breaks off. The plastic is still there to get in the way of a knock. :)
    ral likes this.
  12. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

I assume those cracks were from normal use, not an actual impact on the corner of he case?
  13. ral

ral Well-Known Member

Have not dropped my phone or hit it on anything. I keep it in a belt pouch and not in my pocket. Started repairing it already. Good thing is when you press the cracks together they fit snuggly (no missing plastic).

As near as I can tell, they were caused by how I press the buttons. I manipulate the volume rocker with the thumb and the power button with my forefinger from behind the phone. I noticed when I press the buttons the plastic part of the case moves a bit. It is also possible when I press the buttons sometimes I also come into contact with the plastic part of the case.

How do I feel about the OtterBox case. Okay. I am a disappointed, but in the end it is more of a cosmetic failure. I still have not seen any other case which has convinced me it will do a better job in case I actually drop my phone. So, I am a disappointed customer who will be buying another OtterBox case for my next phone.

I also had an OtterBox for the HTC HD2... which has had no issues.

Who knows, I might even get Defender for this one.
  14. flixxx

flixxx Member

I just got my otterbox yesterday and so far i'm really happy with it.

in fact, I prefer the bulkiness it adds because i don't accidentally press buttons now reaching for my phone.
  15. djdillpickle

Slowly but surely I am starting to notice this issue. I am considering a silicone fix.
  16. ral

ral Well-Known Member

The repair so far.

I pressed and held the cracks in the plastic outer case together by using Scotch tape and applied a small amount of Super Glue on the inside of the case.
    Waited for 24 hours to let the glue set.

I removed the Scotch tape and confirmed that the glue is holding the case together.

[​IMG]

Since the only glue holding the pieces together would be whatever managed to seep into the cracks a place a second layer of glue behind the cracks and applied a small soft but strong piece of plastic for additional support.

Not the cleanest job... but it will do.

[​IMG]

Will put the phone back tonight when I get home... never did this before. They put the case on in the shop where I bought it and never have take it off till now. Any tips?
  17. djdillpickle

Send it back, see what they say.

I guess it'll be hard to convince them it wasn't due to a knock.
    ral likes this.
  18. ral

ral Well-Known Member

Probably a bit too late for that since I already did a DIY repair... also not worth the trouble. If I am the only one with this problem it is probably something I did :confused:

Sorry about the pics... I thought I had the resized to 640 x 480 at Tinypic.
  19. ral

ral Well-Known Member

So far so good. I managed to re-insert the phone without re-opening any of the cracks. Lets see how this goes.
  20. ral

ral Well-Known Member

It never occurred to me that I could claim under warranty as M-Nigle and djdillpickle suggested

I inquired with OtterBox is this kind of thing was covered by warranty. They said they will send me a replacement. I AM FLOORED. WOW. It will be cool if they send me a replacement. No biggie if they don't. The repaired case works out fine. I have changed the way I pressed the buttons by manipulating from the front.
  21. ral

ral Well-Known Member

OtterBox is sending me a replacement. I am really surprised. See I am a lawyer and all, but I never claim on the warranty when there is physical damage. Whether the material used on something is now strong enough or such is a hard point to argue, and unless a lot of people have the same problem, it might be the way you used something.

No other case will protect my phones. I am an OtterBox client for life. I think I owe them that much.

I dropped ketchup on my phone yesterday, so I had to remove the case to clean it and was worried the cracks might give. No problem, everything held together fine.
  22. djdillpickle

WOW. Obviously we where all doubtful re: a warranty claim.

Impressive, + 1 Ottebox
  23. ral

ral Well-Known Member

I got the case under warranty from OtterBox. They sent me a whole case, not just the plastic shell. Am amazed at their service.

Never would have thought to claim under warranty... so thank you all.
  24. Spaceprobe

Spaceprobe Well-Known Member

Having had a couple of drop near misses I bit the bullet and got one of these. Only
  25. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker Moderator

Mine tends to go in that way anyway... I listen to music on mine on the way to work and have to put it in that way, due to the position of the headphone socket!

Might have to look at getting one of these! :)