• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Otterbox Commuter just hit.... linky

I am at work, don't really have the time to be taking pictures. I'll see if I can post over the weekend. The price was 34.99 (whatever the price is on otterbox.com) and they have me 20% off because I told them with my work account I get a discount on accessories as well.

I don't really know what you want in a review, I've never really done one. Just ask questions and I'll answer. I like the case, it's sturdy, not to bulky considering the protection. Feels the same if not a bit smaller in the hand compared to the seidio innocase II that I had for a short period. The screen protector is good as well. The case cost a bit more than what I typically see out there, but I think it's worth it.

Upvote 0
I am at work, don't really have the time to be taking pictures. I'll see if I can post over the weekend. The price was 34.99 (whatever the price is on otterbox.com) and they have me 20% off because I told them with my work account I get a discount on accessories as well.

I don't really know what you want in a review, I've never really done one. Just ask questions and I'll answer. I like the case, it's sturdy, not to bulky considering the protection. Feels the same if not a bit smaller in the hand compared to the seidio innocase II that I had for a short period. The screen protector is good as well. The case cost a bit more than what I typically see out there, but I think it's worth it.

pfft what kind of job doesnt have enough downtime to let you take your time taking pictures and writing up a review. lol

how much bulk does it add to the phone itself?
what about the quality of materials used ?
are there port covers for the top/bottom of the device?
If so, how do they fit? stay closed?

thank you for taking the time in answering all our inquiries

Upvote 0
Does the case cover the power/volume buttons? If so, how difficult is it to press? I have an Ebay TPU case that I no longer use because of how damn difficult it was to press the buttons.

Yes, it covers the volume rocker and power/sleep button. I actually find it the same as without a case to sometimes easier to sleep/wake the phone. volume rocker works great. I'm actually liking the case more and more.

Told two of my friends about it and they picked up cases yesterday evening at our local sprint and they said they all like it a lot as well.

Reactions: The Dorian
Upvote 0
Yes, it covers the volume rocker and power/sleep button. I actually find it the same as without a case to sometimes easier to sleep/wake the phone. volume rocker works great. I'm actually liking the case more and more.

Told two of my friends about it and they picked up cases yesterday evening at our local sprint and they said they all like it a lot as well.

Would love to see some more pics, especially of the buttons whenever you get a chance. Thanks for the reply.

Upvote 0
On the screen side, is the silicon layer loose at the screen edge, as in I could lift it up if I brushed my finger against it? Or is it secured down, kind of like the hard case layer is clamping down on it and effectively sealing the silicone onto the phone?

This would be my one complain of the case. The top where the rubber inner case is that is not supported by the hard case is not very tight. You can move it some if you touch or rub finger and catch it. It's not horrible, but you does and will move. It sill feels solid and doesn't seem like it will stretch and get worse.

Reactions: neoshi
Upvote 0
Willimatic, do you find that the silicone part of the case tending to attract dust? The thing I hate most about my Seido Innocase Active is that the soft silicone parts of the case constantly seem to be dusty. Also, is the case easy to pull in and out of your pants pocket? On the Seido, the material always catches on the fabric of my pockets, so sometimes it can be hard to quickly take out or put back in.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
This would be my one complain of the case. The top where the rubber inner case is that is not supported by the hard case is not very tight. You can move it some if you touch or rub finger and catch it. It's not horrible, but you does and will move. It sill feels solid and doesn't seem like it will stretch and get worse.

Mm shucks. I guess none of the cases work all that well for me. I always find that when you can lift up the silicone like that, dust and dirt will find its way in and rub against your phone. Problem is, if you were to create a case like this design that actually does clamp the silicone down onto the phone, then we're looking at thicker cases/fully enclosed cases and potential screen area lost. Thanks for the info.

Upvote 0
I just picked mine up at the Sprint store. Unfortunately for me it's a week to the date to late for me. I dropped mine on Monday on the way home from a Labor Day float trip. Had it on my lap sleeping in the passenger seat and when we stopped to get gas I got out and it fell to the pavement. Luckily though...It landed on a corner and the screen didnt crack. It did however crack the camera lens and dented and scratched the bezel up on it. It's covered now.

Had I got this last Friday before I left I'd be in great shape. Damn you Otterbox!! Lol.

Upvote 0
New to Android/Evo and love it! I ordered my case on Thurs morning and got shipping confirmation today that it should arrive tomorrow via Fedex (FedEx Ground from Colorado to Texas is only a day). I tried the local Sprint store and they didn't have it.

aaz: I had an Otterbox on my BB Tour and loved it. I'm really picky about the silicone edges picking up dust as well. While the silicone corners on the Tour version did catch some dust, it wasn't enough to drive me nuts. :) I also found it pretty easy to pull out of a pocket so I'm expecting similar results for the Evo version. The glossy black plastic back part is what keeps it from completely sticking in your pants pocket.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: aaz110
Upvote 0
I took the plunge earlier today. The Commuter Series just looked so sleek. What I like is the silicone/plastic combo. It didn't look thicker than my HTC silicone case. I just want it to repel dust... Anyway; I'm more than happy to pay a little more (and wait a little longer) for American-made products.

Sorry;

10905d1284166890-evo-otterbox-commuter-case-review-dsc00042.jpg

Upvote 0
So I went and picked mine up. It's very nice, not any bigger than my htc silicone skin.

Couple things though, I'm not in love with the way they did the bottom ports cover, when I pull it out of my pocket the rubber can snag and it comes unseated. And I wish they would have made the top by the speaker and front cam, similar to the impact and defender, bringing the rubber down to the screen and having cutouts for the speaker and cam and sensors. The way it is it lifts from the phone quite easily in that spot.

I guess it's a keeper.

Upvote 0
After reading everybody's posts and reviewing pictures posted here and on other sites, I decided to pass on the Commuter Case and pre order the Defender Case. $44.09 out the door with free shipping. Can't wait to get it. Till then, I'm running with nearly 0 protection using the Body Glove Case...which I'll keep as well.

Upvote 0
After reading everybody's posts and reviewing pictures posted here and on other sites, I decided to pass on the Commuter Case and pre order the Defender Case. $44.09 out the door with free shipping. Can't wait to get it. Till then, I'm running with nearly 0 protection using the Body Glove Case...which I'll keep as well.

Where did you pre-order the Defender from?

Upvote 0
New to Android/Evo and love it! I ordered my case on Thurs morning and got shipping confirmation today that it should arrive tomorrow via Fedex (FedEx Ground from Colorado to Texas is only a day). I tried the local Sprint store and they didn't have it.

aaz: I had an Otterbox on my BB Tour and loved it. I'm really picky about the silicone edges picking up dust as well. While the silicone corners on the Tour version did catch some dust, it wasn't enough to drive me nuts. :) I also found it pretty easy to pull out of a pocket so I'm expecting similar results for the Evo version. The glossy black plastic back part is what keeps it from completely sticking in your pants pocket.

Hope this helps.

Thanks sigmaxaa...just ordered one after reading your experiences with them.

Upvote 0
Very disappointed in Otterbox. I purchased the Commuter 4 minutes after I got the e-mail on the 9th of Sept. I still have not received a shipping confirmation. I called yesterday and they said the paperwork must have been lost. I call today because I still havent received a shipping confirmation and the Rep. basically tells me that it is waiting to be fulfilled which means its backordered. How is that even possible? They might have great products but there Order process is garbage. Thanks Otterbox! Seidio seems like a better option for the simple fact I can protect my phone with their cases because they actually ship stuff you purchase from them.

Upvote 0
Very disappointed in Otterbox. I purchased the Commuter 4 minutes after I got the e-mail on the 9th of Sept. I still have not received a shipping confirmation. I called yesterday and they said the paperwork must have been lost. I call today because I still havent received a shipping confirmation and the Rep. basically tells me that it is waiting to be fulfilled which means its backordered. How is that even possible? They might have great products but there Order process is garbage. Thanks Otterbox! Seidio seems like a better option for the simple fact I can protect my phone with their cases because they actually ship stuff you purchase from them.

Just cancel the order and walk into a Sprint store

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones