• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Otterbox Defender Case for Motorola Xoom - Video

Just got done installing the case. A few thoughts:

-Build quality is second to none. You can really tell Otterbox took their time in designing a really high quality case. Even the instructions are high quality!!
-The case fits absolutely perfect.
-Installation could not have been eaiser
-As someone else said, the innovations on this case are very nice. The whole screen protector/multi angle stand thing might be the best part. Not the kind of stuff you see from any other case.
-With the case and screen protector on, it makes the Xoom weigh a metric ton. Not something that bothers me but to some people it might bean issue.
-When I first heard of this case I went nuts over the price. I thought it was outrageous. Now i see the light. For a case of this quality, the price point is perfect. Well worth every penny.
-I reccomend this to every Xoom owner

Upvote 0
yeah ive been enjoying and it is worth the cost. it will get cheaper or have discounts as time passes but us early adopters will pay the premium first and blaze the trail for later users. supporting otterbox early here will let them know they made the right choice by designing this case for the xoom. it really is great and the photos online do it no justice. definite recommend also.

Reactions: jcash3
Upvote 0
Got mine in Today, absolutely awesome case!

Built very tough, the stand angles work great and everything just fits and works great. The silicone outer shell doesn't feel too "grippy" so it wont pick up every bit of fluff it comes into contact with, but its got enough grip that it gives you a good hold. Very impressed, and so were all the guys at work :D

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
Irony I made the thread (ok technically marctronixx made it) and I don't have the case. I'm still on the fence but it seems everyone likes it...so I have two questions that will decide for me:
1. I heard the case loves dust, true? If so is it easy to clean off our hard?
2. Doesn't the dock door block the speakers on the hd dock? (my he dock won't be here until tomorrow so I don't know where the speakers are on the dock)
2. Does your xoom get really hot with the case on?
2. How hard is it to take on and off?
By the way, I can't count...

Upvote 0
ill have to look at the video again. i just dont see it happening. the case is too thick. or maybe im too thick? :p

The Defender has a large door about 2.5-3" tall and 6 inches wide, that swings open. The little silicon port that covers the bottom inputs is built into this entire 'door'. Its a very tight fit so it doesn't flip open accidentally, but its quite large to allow for the various Moto speaker docks. From looking at pics of the speaker dock, the speakers are on the side and top of the back? It would cover up the back, but would have a bit of space between the speaker dock and the door.

As for dust, the silicon is a little less grippy than the stuff on my Trident Nexus S case, so while it will grab small crumbs and stuff off a table, they wipe off very easily. I was pleasantly surprised at the texture.

Its actually pretty easy to take on and off. First you open up the speaker dock door, then remove the silicon ring from the 4 corners. The 4 "lugs" (the plastic bits that protrude from the silicon and lets the cover snap on) you pull off the bottom half with a finger nail, and the front cover will start un-snapping all the way around.

For heat? It acts as an insulator so it builds up a little more heat. Under load the battery (measured with battery life/temp app) tends to measure about 30 degrees C, versus 20-25 C (ambient) when not being used. It seemed to sit about 2-3 degrees cooler under load when using the Moto portfolio case, so its not a huge difference. Seeing as how PC/computer components tend to run in the 40-60 degree C range, I would say well under the heat tolerance.

ETA - Whoops forgot the pic :p

img2840r.jpg

Upvote 0
appreciate the heads up rapt. i had forgotten about that trap door! :)

the HD speakers will not be affected AG. the flap will rest on top of the dock and may alter the sound a bit, however this depends on if the dock is facing a hard surface of out in the open on a table/desk.

and yeah i still dont have any dust on the sucker..

Reactions: androidguy65
Upvote 0
Well today i got my Otterbox Defender case for my Xoom, I had it on pre-order here in the UK. I thought i would come and write a few words on what i think.

The build quality is good as always, it fits perfectly and will be good protection if dropped apart from the screen.

A few complaints, starting with no screen protector (tight arses lol).

I bought a car holder for the Xoom and the charging dock, all fine until i put the Xoom into the Otterbox case. Cant use it in the charging dock as it is too thick now. Cant use it in the car holder as its too thick (this is my fault buying it first).

You have to remove the hard cover to use the camera. With pulling it apart everytime to charge it on the dock and using camera (something they should have thought about but i guess i can use the USB) i hope the hard cover part doesn't get worn or the rubber so that it doesn't fit as tight, only time will tell.

Pros - Its Otterbox!
Its sturdy and strong as expected good build quality.
The stand is very nice with 2 angles.
Nice cut out at the bottom to get to the various plugs.
Volume buttons actually are easier to use now.

Cons - Too bulky now to fit ordinary Xoom car holder.
To bulky to use my Motorola Xoom charging dock now.
Have to remove the hard casing to use camera.
Not even one screen protector for the money you pay.
Quite expensive.

I love Otterbox but really the only thing that bothers me alot is not being able to use my charging dock without dismantling the case every time.

The car charger i should have checked and possibly bought one that would fit it with the new thickness, if one even exists?

Anyone else got any comments on this case?

Cheers

Upvote 0
Well today i got my Otterbox Defender case for my Xoom, I had it on pre-order here in the UK. I thought i would come and write a few words on what i think.

The build quality is good as always, it fits perfectly and will be good protection if dropped apart from the screen.

A few complaints, starting with no screen protector (tight arses lol).

I bought a car holder for the Xoom and the charging dock, all fine until i put the Xoom into the Otterbox case. Cant use it in the charging dock as it is too thick now. Cant use it in the car holder as its too thick (this is my fault buying it first).

You have to remove the hard cover to use the camera. With pulling it apart everytime to charge it on the dock and using camera (something they should have thought about but i guess i can use the USB) i hope the hard cover part doesn't get worn or the rubber so that it doesn't fit as tight, only time will tell.

Pros - Its Otterbox!
Its sturdy and strong as expected good build quality.
The stand is very nice with 2 angles.
Nice cut out at the bottom to get to the various plugs.
Volume buttons actually are easier to use now.

Cons - Too bulky now to fit ordinary Xoom car holder.
To bulky to use my Motorola Xoom charging dock now.
Have to remove the hard casing to use camera.
Not even one screen protector for the money you pay.
Quite expensive.

I love Otterbox but really the only thing that bothers me alot is not being able to use my charging dock without dismantling the case every time.

The car charger i should have checked and possibly bought one that would fit it with the new thickness, if one even exists?

Anyone else got any comments on this case?

Cheers

Have you tried opening up the large dock door on the back? it was designed so you can use it with a charging dock!

The only complaint I have on it so far, is the front 'plate' is verry thin. If you look at the back plate and how thick it is, the front plate is very thin and hollow. Not sure if that would affect the protection at all, the rest of it seems extremely well built.

Reactions: Peterpoose
Upvote 0
Sigh i was just messing about with it and yes your right, the flap sorts that problem. I was only lifting the little flap out lol

Im happy now, shame about the car holder but thats my fault.

Yep it is I think (front Plate) and easily breakable but i dont see a need to remove it often do you ?

As for dropping it on that thin part, you may have a good point!

Upvote 0
just got it! from the box to the xoom it took 30 seconds, you should have seen how fast my hands moved :)

the protection is amazing, every port has a door and I can live with the thickness. One problem, this thing loves dust because use of the silicon. Anyone know an easy way to get the dust off?

I haven't had much of an issue with dust, but you should be able to use one of those soft screen-cleaning cloths or a microfibre cloth (something that doesn't leave lint) to get any dust off.

Upvote 0
Hey all, on the otterbox case is there any small rubber pieces that separate the hard interior shell from the actual xoom so that the hard case doesn't sit right up against or touching the xoom? Was worried about the hard shell scratching my xoom like some hard cases do. Any input would be appreciated!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones