Otterbox Defender Review

Last Updated:

1. firemanjay

firemanjay Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Here is my attempt to review the Defender Case for the EVO,
    Please go easy on this it is my first time to do something like this, I know that the sound is kind of loud but what the hell it gets my point across.

I ordered my case on the morning of the 10th of November and of course the 11th was a holiday. it arrived on the 17th by way of USPS.

I am overall happy with this case there are a few minor issues that I show in the video I paid just $40.45.

The outer silicon layer does seem to collect dust, I think that is an issue with all silicon covers. In the video it didn't seem to fit all that well but i went back and did a better job of installing it, The port covers are the weakest link of this part. The volume buttons and power buttons seem to be well designed and do a great job.

The plastic screen protector does seem to have that wet look. (I will try to wash it or use the baby powder trick later and get back to you all) but it does do a nice job, it covers just the touch area of the screen and leaves open the sensor, camera and speaker. On the back side the plastic covers the camera and the led lights but leaves the speaker open.
    The kickstand snaps in to the cover and does seem a little week but since I only use it to prop up the phone I cant see where there would be an issue, I do like the fact that it has a flat spot instead of a rounded end, this gives it a little more stability. If you notice in the video that when you push on the upper left hand corner of the phone with the kickstand deployed that it could fall over, same issue with the stock kickstand.

The holster is somewhat of a loose fit as seen in the video. if you put the phone face forward, if done face out it seems to fit better.
    I like the face inside the case seems a better protection factor, (I may place small sections of velcro in each corner to tighten it up)
    The belt clip is a tad loose, seems to be the same one used for the Iphone because it has the kickstand lock on the top portion, I do like the fact that it rotates all the way around.
    you can place the phone in the case with pretty much any orientation you choose, power button pointing up, power button pointing down.
    That seems to be a cool idea.
    It will take some time to get used to taking it out of the holster and putting it back in.
    All in All i like this case.
    I will order a Ballistic case when they are available and try to do a side by side comparison if you like.
    Enjoy your new case, and thanks for reading and watching
    Jay

[​IMG]

Advertisement
  2. Townsey24

Townsey24 Member

Nice review. I was excited to get mine in the mail soon until I seen you put It in the holster. That's gonna really bother me if its loose. It took otterbox this long to get it out and couldn't even get a tight fit?. For 50 bucks It might be going back. Fail. Thanks for the video!!

3. StepBack

StepBack New Member

The problem with the screen protector on your otterbox is that you have the invisible shield on it still! But anyways thanks a ton for the review!

4. cajunman4life

cajunman4life Well-Known Member

Thank you for putting up the review, I am considering getting the otterbox defender for my evo.

I'll be interested to see your review on the ballistic hc case if you indeed get one.

You said overall you were happy. Would you recommend this case for purchase to friends/family?

Once again thank you for your review :)

5. firemanjay

firemanjay Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Yes I would recommend this case.
    I have noticed if you put the case in the holster face out the fit is much better and doesn't really rattle.
    I am also getting used to removing it from the holster.
    I will get the Ballistic case just cause I can, and will do a review when it comes in, of course the wife said she wanted to get it for me as a Christmas present (stocking stuffer) so my review may be a little delayed.

6. edlex

edlex Well-Known Member

Just got it and as others have said it does fit a little loose face in but other than that I love it.I'll follow up with a more in depth review once I've had it for a few days.

7. Raekwon

Raekwon Well-Known Member

My biggest gripe about the commuter is the SUPER CRAPPY cover for the ports at the bottom. It gets pulled open all the time in my pocket and sometimes pulls away from the hard shell and starts twisting around. A rip in the silicone developed within a couple weeks of having it. I am really disappointed to see the defender has a flimsy soft bottom port cover as well. I will most likely be going with a different brand for that reason alone. I love my commuter case but I HATE the port cover. Make it a hard one that clicks closed or make it similar to the headphone jack cover so it fits snug in the holes...... WTF Otterbox? lag on releasing it because you don't want to release an inferior product and you come with a heinous design flaw AND THEN repeat the same flaw on the defender which took even longer to release. Wow.

8. edlex

edlex Well-Known Member

Ok so now I've had a chance to use it for a couple of days and I have to admit, the more I use it the more I like it. I haven't experienced the oil slick on the screen but maybe that's because I left the sgp screen protector on. I also solved the looseness problem but putting some small pieces of silicon tape on the inside of the holster corners and now it fits snug. Overall I'm very happy so far. The only real cons I can find its the two open spaces they left for the speakers. I would have preferred they be more protected.

9. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

This makes me glad I got the trident case. Much better than this.

10. Peoples-2

Peoples-2 Member

Because you can compare the two without even handling one in person. :rolleyes: