• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Otterbox laughability.

Snow_Fox

Android Expert
Mar 31, 2010
Ok.. I've argued with customers over this before.

Otterbox is not water proof. (not the more popular versions defender/commuter anyway)

Great marketing though.. For some reason or another water and phone's are arch enemies aching to cross paths it seems..

So name your product after a mammal commonly associated with water, then add a small disclaimer not water proof!

GENIUS

Otterbox is not water proof. (not the more popular versions defender/commuter anyway)

Great marketing though.. For some reason or another water and phone's are arch enemies aching to cross paths it seems..

So name your product after a mammal commonly associated with water, then add a small disclaimer not water proof!

GENIUS

If they really want waterproof then maybe they just need to invest in a Pelican case. Not a mammal but this bird has the potential to be waterproof at shallow depths.

Upvote 0

GENIUS

Actually, genius, they started their company making waterproof and indestructible containers. Sometimes companies evolve with the demands of the market and most don't change their name. It's catchy and well known and they already had a good following so why change it just to make you happy?

What 'genius' would look at that and think it's waterproof??

Upvote 0
Actually, genius, they started their company making waterproof and indestructible containers. Sometimes companies evolve with the demands of the market and most don't change their name. It's catchy and well known and they already had a good following so why change it just to make you happy?

What 'genius' would look at that and think it's waterproof??
This is more ment to be joking/light hearted than outright condescending.

I am well aware that companies needs/market change over time.

That doesn't mean there isn't irony in the name.

however, for what its worth the sheer amount of people who do believe it is water proof make me feel like they really need to be more proactive in warning it isn't.

bit extreme but, if their brand was "water proof" it would be ironic to have a 'water proof' defender series that isn't water proof.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones