• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Otterbox or Trident?

hooverxl

Lurker
Jul 25, 2011
Great place to find information, therefore I have bookmarked this website for future use. But onto my question....

I am a very clumsy person. Every phone I have gotten I eventually drop and dent or scratch it within a month of first getting it. So I have decided to look around for covers since it's taking over a week to get my new Evo from Wirefly. A buddy of mine ended up getting the Otterbox Commuter, and it feels very rugged and solid. Feels like it was almost meant to come out of factory with that type of skin and feel.

But as I kept looking around I came across a couple others. Nothing quite catching my eye until I fell upon Trident Kracken Series. It looks very nice, almost more rugged than Commuter, and comes in various colors. My question being that since Youtube doesn't have any side my side comparisons for the Evo, or the right series, I'd ask this place.

What are your guys impressions of these two skins? I am aware that the Kracken has a blue tint issue with the camera cover so I will probably cut it out.

Also, if I'm not happy with the built in screen cover, I plan to go with either Crystal Clear or Anti-fingerprint covers from SGP Steinheil as I've used them before and loved them.

I've the Otterbox Commuter for my Desire HD, I can't really comment on what the Evo variant is like, but I'm pretty confident that my case/phone would withstand most drops.

It only adds a little bit of bulk to the phone and I actually think it give thes phone a better feel. It feels naked and delicate without the case on.

On the flip side, the rubber bits are magnets for the dust in my pockets and the screen protector never stays clean for long (I didn't realise fingers could get so greasy :p). If you're getting an alternative protector, that shouldn't really make much difference though. I'll probably look at getting one myself.

Upvote 0
My wife and I just purchased Evo 4Gs last week. I spent the whole week researching cases with the right mix of protection and allure. Protection from my inherent clumsiness and our 19 month old chewing technophile, and allure for my wife's delicate tastes. As much as I love the look and feel of the 4G, I know I'm going to have to cover it. My research led me to Otterbox, Trident, and Ballistics. As luck would have it, I came across 2 people with CRACKED Otterbox cases. Also, I don't believe in buying the crap that comes on Mall carts, so I was planning to buy online, and couldn't find Otterbox with color options anywhere online for reasonable prices.

I fell in love with the look of the Trident Kraken series. I preferred the red, and my wife, of course, could not make up her mind. Then, while having a bid on ebay for a pink Kraken (for my wife), I ran across Ballistics. The Hard Core series with its FIVE levels of protection immediately caught my eye. Bulky is a word that comes to mind, and is immediately shoved out because of the sheer size of all 5 layers. However, the 5th layer is optional and is easily removed (a plus for me), and the LG series with 3 layers is perfect for my wife. It even has a built in kickstand to replace the 4G's. It's prone to popping off, but is easily reattached.

Here's to hoping we'll be satisfied.

Upvote 0
My wife and I just purchased Evo 4Gs last week. I spent the whole week researching cases with the right mix of protection and allure. Protection from my inherent clumsiness and our 19 month old chewing technophile, and allure for my wife's delicate tastes. As much as I love the look and feel of the 4G, I know I'm going to have to cover it. My research led me to Otterbox, Trident, and Ballistics. As luck would have it, I came across 2 people with CRACKED Otterbox cases. Also, I don't believe in buying the crap that comes on Mall carts, so I was planning to buy online, and couldn't find Otterbox with color options anywhere online for reasonable prices.

I fell in love with the look of the Trident Kraken series. I preferred the red, and my wife, of course, could not make up her mind. Then, while having a bid on ebay for a pink Kraken (for my wife), I ran across Ballistics. The Hard Core series with its FIVE levels of protection immediately caught my eye. Bulky is a word that comes to mind, and is immediately shoved out because of the sheer size of all 5 layers. However, the 5th layer is optional and is easily removed (a plus for me), and the LG series with 3 layers is perfect for my wife. It even has a built in kickstand to replace the 4G's. It's prone to popping off, but is easily reattached.

Here's to hoping we'll be satisfied.
I love my ballistic hc case, it is wonderful. without the optional layer, the case isn't too horribly big, and will slide into a pocket fairly easily. testing for the ballistic (can be seen on youtube) includes a 15 and 25 foot drop test, along with running the phone over with a car. the car warped the case a little, but the phone survives all three tests without a scratch.

Upvote 0
Pretty nice looking, but without a belt clip, it's a deal killer for the Trident. Silicone and pockets just don't play well together. If you take the silicone skin off (looks like major surgery to install) what to do with it? Back to pocket. I looked at their website and it doesn't appear they offer a clip, or holster.

Upvote 0
I bought the Otterbox mid grade case (commuter?) a year or so ago. The rubber piece that covers the ports at the bottom is SUPER crappy and poorly designed. Won't stay put no matter what. Only has the TINIEST lip to hold it where it should be. Also very thin in the bottom. Mine cracked there pretty soon after I got it. Otterbox was not helpful in their support.

In the end I just cut the bottom port cover off with a razor. Yes the cover was that useless. Better off without it.

I always wish I would have went with the Trident. Sweet looking and as for not having a belt clip, well... Belt clips are way up there on the dorkiest looking shit ever list. Unless you need it for your job or something. It's up there with wearing your bluetooth all the time whether you are on a call or not. Just makes you look like a tool. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones