OtterboxAccessories

Last Updated:

1. TxAgDroid

TxAgDroid Member This Topic's Starter

Just received notice that Otterbox finally has cases for our phones! Since I've never had a Otterbox, what's the main difference between the Defender and Commuter series? I'm drawn to the commuter due to its relatively thinner profile since I'll still be carrying my Dinc in my pocket.

Any help?

Advertisement
    incredible x4 likes this.
  2. incredible x4

incredible x4 Well-Known Member

The defender is he godfather of all cases. It has what Otterbox calls 3 layers of protection. It starts with a hard plastic case. It comes apart into 2 pieces and snaps together. This is what the phone goes into. This hard plastic case also has a built in screen protector. Its a thin piece of clear plastic that is build in to the hard case. It in NO WAY affects how the screen operates. Though it does affect how the screen feels. It feels like a resistive touch screen with the case on. Then on top of the hard case goes a silicone case. There are tabs on the hard case that align the silicone and hold in in place. It is the best silicone case I have ever had. It slides in and out of your pocket very easily and doesn't hardly attract lint.

I have a defender on my ipod touch and it is AWESOME. When Otterbox says it provides the best resistance from shock, bumps, and damage, they mean it. I don't know about the commuter case but I would go with the Defender. Now, this case will add some thickness to the phone, but I think thats a small trade off for the protection that it adds. I tend to drop things so this added thickness has helped me.

BTW, thanks for posting this. I've been waiting FOREVER for this case.

Edit: Just checked Otterbox's website, the Defender series is NOT available yet. I repeat, Defender is NOT available yet. I also looked an amazon.com, they said the cases will ship in 3 - 5 weeks.

3. dscribe

dscribe Well-Known Member

Correct, the Otterbox Commuter series is available now, but the Defender is not.

4. incredible x4

incredible x4 Well-Known Member

Yea, I realized this after I checked their website. I'm going to go for a defender so I have to wait a little longer. But thats been the whole story with Otterbox and the Incredible. Just keep waiting and you will eventually get it.

5. WhiskyDevil

WhiskyDevil Member

I really like Otterbox Defender cases, but they really missed the boat with the Incredible. By the time they release the Defender for hte Incredible I'll be looking for my next Android phone... :(

6. Beatlesfan

Beatlesfan Well-Known Member

I just ordered mine. Here's a coupon code for 10% off that worked for me: amcc9010m

7. xFlawless11x

xFlawless11x Well-Known Member

Just got my Commuter in the mail and threw it on my Inc. This is my second Otterbox and I was very happy with the first. I must say although I like the added screen protection and such on the Defender I think it just makes it a little to bulky. The Commuter is just enough protection but doesn't add a lot of extra girth. At least from what I can tell from the pictures and previous models....

Pretty sleek fit as you would expect from Otterbox, all in all for the hour or so I've had it I like it. My phone takes a good amount of abuse daily so adding some extra padding is never a bad idea.

Anyone else receive theirs yet? Thoughts?

-Flawless

8. zeuswsu

zeuswsu Active Member

Thanks for the info flawless, is there anything you don't like about it?

9. Hydro556

Hydro556 Active Member

On the defender model, when they say it includes a screen protector, do they mean a regular adhesive screen protector like we are all used to, or is it something else?

Trying to decide if I want to get a Defender, but am curious about this screen protector.

Also, I am happy with my Seidio innocase, but wouldnt mind having more protection. Actually had a Seidio Active on backorder from Amazon but they ultimately canceled my order.

May get my daughter one as well, but would like to hear more from those of you more familiar with otterbox cases. Especially the difference in the level of protection between the Commuter and the Defender.

10. Droidizzle

Droidizzle Well-Known Member

Never had Otterbox. One can only assume the Defender gives more protection than the Commuter, but is it that much more of a difference to spend the money?

11. xFlawless11x

I'll take pics tomorrow to post here and over on xda where someone asked for them. But I'm going on 2 days with it and I really like it, as I stated it does add some girth but I was already knocked off the table by my cousin and not a scratch on it.

The defender series has a built in screen protector, it fits perfectly over it and doesn't interfer with the touch screen but adds an additional layer of protection. Although I've never had a defender series case, a friend referenced it to feeling like a solid brick he could throw at a wall and still work.

I think its a bit of overkill with all that but if you need the added protection aka work in construction or something then go for it.

The commuter is a soft plastic grip which the phone is gripped by which then fits into a molded hard plastic outer casing. It comes with a screen protector that you can apply or leave off if you choose.

Again I've never had a Defender series only another Commuter but Otterbox cases have always held true.

Feel free to ask any more questions and I'll attempt to answer them with the knowledge I have. Pics up tomorrow.

-Flawless

12. xFlawless11x

I'll post a couple pictures here directly. I also uploaded a bunch to a photobucket account I had under this name.

If you guys want any specific pictures just let me know, I wasn't really sure what to take a picture of :rolleyes: lol

Also it sucks when the phone your taking pictures of has a better camera quality then the digital camera you bought 2 years ago :(

-Flawless

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Link to the photobuck with more pics.
    [​IMG]

NightAngel79 likes this.
  13. wild style

wild style Well-Known Member

Thanks for the pictures. The case looks good, but I'm curious how the back looks. Do you have any shots of that?

14. xFlawless11x

Here ya go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Flawless

wild style likes this.
  15. novenom

novenom Member

i just got mine its a nice case but the hard plastic seems a little slippery will see how i like it after a couple of days

16. xFlawless11x

I felt like that at first too. You kinda got used to it, at least I did.

-Flawless

17. silentronin

silentronin Active Member

i have the seidio active case now. how does the otterbox compare to that. i have been planning on getting an otterbox since i got my dinc. one of my coworkers has an otterbox for his iphone and he loves it. from the pics, it looks like they are very similar in design and how they are applied to the phone.

18. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

Are the buttons hard to press?

19. novenom

novenom Member

no problems with the buttons at all just im coming from the verizon black silicone case so this is a bit thicker and a little slippery it will take me a couple of days to get used to it

20. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

Just wondering, did you guys who received he case get a tracking #? I ordered mine right when I got he email on Thursday morning, got the confirmation but no tracking number yet.

21. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

Look just like the one for my Eris, best case. Just got a new case from Verizon today and Love it otherwise if be buying this

22. xFlawless11x

No tracking number >.>

You get an order number I think so that you can call if you have questions but there is no way to track your order. They do have a map that has different colors showing different estimated delivery days.

Its at the bottom of this page.

I got mine in 3 days and that the color region I was in.

Also to comment on buttons, there's no trouble what so ever. Just as easy as easy as before.

-Flawless

23. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply Flawless. I have the vzw black silicone, the Seidio Active and will do a little comparison between the 3 when I get the Otterbox. Cant wait!

24. Ryd1ZZ

Ryd1ZZ Well-Known Member

I ordered mine on the 4th and didn't get a tracking number. But I went back and checked my confirmation email just now, and there was a tracking number. I didn't know an email could somehow be updated but I know it was blank before. Just wanted to let you know. Check your email again, maybe the tracking number section got updated, magically, lol

25. wild style

wild style Well-Known Member

@Dream I'll be looking forward to your review as right now I'm deciding between the Innocase Active and the Otterbox Commuter. As far as looks go, I'm kind of feeling the Seidio at this point. I'm sick of this verizon rubber case. ;)