• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Our beloved EVO beats the Droid X Video

Lame review, imo.

Buttons, Web text, photo quality? That's all there is to a smart phone?

Exactly.

His 4 categories to determine which phone comes on top:

1. Design
- Droid X won there because it was thinner and it was nice to hold. Is that seriously what goes in design? Design: Thinness and comfortability ONLY.
2. Screen
- Neither because he says they basically look the same and talked about for only a short few seconds
3. Buttons (he seriously put this under his "Screen" category?!? lmao)
- EVO won there because they were touch and not physical... Shouldn't this be under "Design"?
4. Photo quality
- EVO won there even though that picture he showed was NOT great quality. Can anyone see the immense over exposure? I'm not saying that the Droid X did any better... but I highly doubt he did any professional photo comparisons that other websites do that test exposure, color, saturation, distortion, sharpness, etc.
5. Web Page Text
- EVO won there because it changes text to fit the screen!... Seriously?

Winner: EVO! Because it has touch buttons, the photo quality is better(which was done in a professional manner, I'm sure), and it can modify the text on web pages!

Fantastic and professional comparison review by TheStreet TV! (who the hell are they?)

Upvote 0
Folks, the comparison has to be on of the most shallow comparisons evah!

1. If the settings in the browser are like Droid, you can change to "fit to page". Also, Dolphin kicks stock's butt anyways.
2. Hardware was not pointed out (besides camera). X has over 3X more app space, media memory, faster, lower nM chipset and better display.

Was the Street dude an HTC or Sprint plant? ;)

Why be in denial? I accept that Droid X is better than my Inc, but that is how tech works- something comes out better just a few months later. Love your EVO, but spinning only makes people dizzy ;)

Upvote 0

1. If the settings in the browser are like Droid, you can change to "fit to page". Also, Dolphin kicks stock's butt anyways.
2. Hardware was not pointed out (besides camera). X has over 3X more app space, media memory, faster, lower nM chipset and better display.

Why be in denial? I accept that Droid X is better than my Inc, but that is how tech works- something comes out better just a few months later. Love your EVO, but spinning only makes people dizzy ;)

So because the areas you choose to focus on with the droid x vs evo have the droid coming out on top then we are in denial? Yet the areas where the evo wins are completely disregarded and not mentioned..... i see your agenda...

Sorry you incredible has you so insecure that you come to the evo board in hopes that your misery will find company with the release of the droid x.... sorry bud but it isnt happening. Most of us would choose Sense UI and our EVO over the droid x. Sorry you are not so happy with your incredible.

Upvote 0
So because the areas you choose to focus on with the droid x vs evo have the droid coming out on top then we are in denial? Yet the areas where the evo wins are completely disregarded and not mentioned..... i see your agenda...

Sorry you incredible has you so insecure that you come to the evo board in hopes that your misery will find company with the release of the droid x.... sorry bud but it isnt happening. Most of us would choose Sense UI and our EVO over the droid x. Sorry you are not so happy with your incredible.

How in your fair mind could you rationalize features that are software and most only a few (built-in) settings away from making them equal, more than hardware, which is absolute? You take the word of a dude who was too lazy to check settings (browser is case in point)?

added:

BTW, I think the Inc is better (slightly) than the EVO, so if anything, it would be a pity party (EVO and Inc) ;)

Enjoy your EVO! I am enjoying my Inc :)

I will leave agendas to the "news" media and certain political figures (on both sides, sadly) ;)

Upvote 0
The evo is an amazing phone for web browsing. The way it reformats the text to fit the screen when you zoom counts more than some quadrant benchmark.

The point is that the EVO's hardware shortcomings cant be fixed with a simple firmware upgrade whereas the Droid X's web rendering problem can. I believe that's the point some are trying to make. Screen separation, and other hardware issues are a lot more serious than a problem that can fixed with a simple software patch, like EVO's 30fps lock.

Upvote 0

Your 100% on point my man! Seriously, what are some of you doing in here anyway? Don't try to rain on our parade, the EVO is the phone of the year, and is considered a game changer, face facts! I don't really care about M Flops, and bench marks to be honest.

I think these are just some pissed off incredible owners that are really mad that the incredible got zero hype, or love from VZW, and have to now plop down $500 to to get there newfound Android fix.....man up guys.

Upvote 0
I have Froyo on my Evo and in Quadrant I scored a 1263. The 30FPS cap is obviously holding back that score. I see the X got 1100 something in this video on 2.1, and considering EVERY Android phone to get upgraded to 2.2 has seen a significant performance increase it's safe to assume the X will still have the upper hand.

The thing is though benchmarks aren't real world usage and it won't be anything like a night and day difference.

Upvote 0
I have Froyo on my Evo and in Quadrant I scored a 1263. The 30FPS cap is obviously holding back that score. I see the X got 1100 something in this video on 2.1, and considering EVERY Android phone to get upgraded to 2.2 has seen a significant performance increase it's safe to assume the X will still have the upper hand.

The thing is though benchmarks aren't real world usage and it won't be anything like a night and day difference.

I agree! Without Froyo my EVO is fairly fast, and when they release it, it'll be ever faster and snappier. However so will the Droid X. But I doubt it will effect using the device in day to day use.

Upvote 0

Why do you constantly come to the evo board and troll? It's obviously because you try to justify your incredible purchase by capitalizing on some of the evo faults (which don't even come close to the pros of the evo). Why be in denial, just accept the fact that the evo is better than the dinc. In two years you'll be enjoying a phone that's better than the evo (maybe on a 4g network) unless you pay full price, while in just one year I'll be enjoying the next best android due to sprints amazing contract. Enjoy your incredible its a great device, but its no evo.

Upvote 0
Sick thread. Quick question, are more ppl rooting and changing the os to froyo or waiting for 2.2 to come out?

Welcome to the Forums, and the party J....I'm going to give it till the end of July for an official Froyo release. If its not out by then, I'll most likely cave and Root, and throw the unofficial build on my EVO! For now...I'm good with how my EVO is stock.

Upvote 0
Why do you constantly come to the evo board and troll? It's obviously because you try to justify your incredible purchase by capitalizing on some of the evo faults (which don't even come close to the pros of the evo). Why be in denial, just accept the fact that the evo is better than the dinc. In two years you'll be enjoying a phone that's better than the evo (maybe on a 4g network) unless you pay full price, while in just one year I'll be enjoying the next best android due to sprints amazing contract. Enjoy your incredible its a great device, but its no evo.

Troll???? I feel compelled to post, when silly stuff gets posted.

I will let the fanboys have fun :) I am just as pointed on the Inc board too. I have no true love for phones or any device. It would be a cold, unreciprocated love.

The comparison was shallow- at a comic level....... I want a device with a keyboard, anyways.... maybe that is the root of my deep troll-like hatred.

BTW:

"Enjoy your incredible its a great device, but its no evo", is true, regardless of perspective, best statement in this thread, IMO :)

Upvote 0
Doesn't it say something that we have to reference a 3 minute comparison done by someone who obviously had no clue about either phone to show how the Evo beat the Droid X? To me, this wasn't so much a test as it was an opinion...an uninformed opinion at that. I'm no engineer or rocket scientist but there are some very smart folks here whom I'm sure can see the fallacy in basing the validity of a comparison or test on the desired outcome.

By the same token, isn't it a little disingenous to say specs or benchmark tests mean nothing? I may be wrong but I suspect that if the Evo had come out on top in the benchmark test, the very same people who are saying benchmark tests mean nothing would be touting/defending it as much as they are the "test"/editorial posted by the OP.

I'll be the first to admit I have no clue what those tests mean or measure but common sense tells me the absolute performance of the Droid X is probably better than the Evo. Does absolute performance mean anything to the average user? Probably not with the current applications; could they mean something in the future as developers take advantage of the additional processing power? Based on what I've seen with PC's, probably so. Should this be the sole determinant on which phone a person buys? Only if the having bragging rights, albeit a short-lived one with the current pace of phone advancement, to owning the most powerful phone is intimately tied to that user's self-esteem.

Upvote 0
I see the X got 1100 something in this video on 2.1, and considering EVERY Android phone to get upgraded to 2.2 has seen a significant performance increase it's safe to assume the X will still have the upper hand.

You've no doubt read my take on that.

Respectfully, I very much doubt it. I believe there's some hidden Froyo goodness already under the hood of the Droid X and that fact just hasn't come out yet.

Time will tell. I honestly and sincerely hope for the sake of the expectations being set for Droid X owners that I'm wrong - but the underpinnings in silicon suggest otherwise to me.

I'm aware of 45 nm process advantages over 65 nm process implementations. I work in R&D in the semiconductor industry.

Much as I hate Linpack, its mere 12 to 13% improvement result for the Droid X over the others is highly suggestive of things in light of the 2.5x improvement with the Quadrant tests. Very highly suggestive.

OMAP4, Snapdragon 8672, Hummingbird - those are the killer processors to watch for.

In my opinion. Based on benchmarks.

But I could be wrong. I often am.

Upvote 0
By the same token, isn't it a little disingenous to say specs or benchmark tests mean nothing?

You are absolutely correct.

It is more disingenuous however to mislead the market.

The Droid X was originally hoopla'd and said to come out with 2.2. It was going to have killer performance - it's a killer processor and 2.2 is killer.

Suppose they'd done the release that way.

The market excitement would've shifted from the Droid X to the Droid X's wonderful Android implementation.

Potential buyers shopping for competing products, such as the EVO, would be hearing this: that's 2.2 - when the EVO has it, it'll all be the same.

The differentiation is still there, but it's weak.

Now - suppose you can release the Droid X with 2.1 but get 2.2 performance in some areas and keep that secret. They're not promising the same huge improvement when the Droid X upgrades to 2.2. Oh, no, they're completely innocent - none of them make future promises like that in marketing.

But it is not coincidental that they've implied it, and that expectation has been set.

And if I'm right, today's Droid X fans are going to ask what went wrong. And if any of them start blaming the silicon, then it affects me. I work in R&D in the semiconductor industry and would rather not have another round of needless questions creeping in to my personal life.

Believe me - if I'm right (and I don't _know_ if I am - but I'm not a fool) and if the big 2.2 performance improvement doesn't happen, what do you think the excuse will be?

The truth?

No. The excuse will be, well, that was the bug in the Droid X GPU and that's why they held back 2.2 - but don't worry, the new Droid Y will fix it with its OMAP 4 processor.

I have a choice. Ring the alarm and be laughed out of town as a benchmark-hating idiot later - or start right now protecting the reputation of OMAP 3 and Android 2.2.

I think I'm right, I have the courage of my convictions, so I'm willing to risk being laughed out of town as an idiot.

And no - I don't work for any of the industry processor makers so I don't have a dog in this fight where my own dollars are concerned.

I work at the level above that, in semiconductor reliability test, so my hands are clean.

I may be wrong but I suspect that if the Evo had come out on top in the benchmark test, the very same people who are saying benchmark tests mean nothing would be touting/defending it as much as they are the "test"/editorial posted by the OP.

In my case, that's proven not true by the fact that my "shenanigans" link point to an aside post that I wrote over in the thread criticizing and exploring the EVO's video limitations.

Again, my hands are clean.

It's not that the benchmark tests mean nothing.

I'm taking a LOT of meaning from them, now aren't I?

I'm just not taking the meaning that others want me to.

I'll be the first to admit I have no clue what those tests mean or measure but common sense tells me ...

I wrote my "shenanigans" post as best I could for the lay person. Feel free to criticize it, I count on that to improve my communication skills.

You may not have meant me specifically, but if I'm not the poster boy for the outcry against that benchmark video, I don't know who is.

Cheers!

Reactions: sean76
Upvote 0
Welcome to the Forums, and the party J....I'm going to give it till the end of July for an official Froyo release. If its not out by then, I'll most likely cave and Root, and throw the unofficial build on my EVO! For now...I'm good with how my EVO is stock.

sort of how I feel, and alot of other EVO owners do too

I love how the Droid X trolls are already extolling the virtues of a phone that isnt even released yet..It might be a great phone, but, could we at least wait until people start owning them before we say how great they are?
And, once again, who gives a $hit what engadget, or ALL the other reviewers think of ANY phone?
Its the user community that actually gives you some insight into what these phones really do.
But, of course, as much as this bothers ALOT of people, you have to use your own pea-brain, and actually get a phone and use it yourself to decide how you like it...I know, thinking on your own can be tough for many of you, but, you still gotta try it...

Upvote 0
So this is what it looks like when fanbois attack. If apple ever starts releasing different products and revisions of the iphone the internet will implode.

You are on drugs if you can't see that the x outperforms the evo in a major way. Even with my fps cap removed, rooted and no bloat. Who cares? If the evo won those benchmarks you would be wearing them here like a badge of honor. So stop acting like tools.

Buy the device on the network you like best and stay out of competing phone forums.

Reactions: Vihzel
Upvote 0
How in your fair mind could you rationalize features that are software and most only a few (built-in) settings away from making them equal, more than hardware, which is absolute? You take the word of a dude who was too lazy to check settings (browser is case in point)?

added:

BTW, I think the Inc is better (slightly) than the EVO, so if anything, it would be a pity party (EVO and Inc) ;)

Enjoy your EVO! I am enjoying my Inc :)

I will leave agendas to the "news" media and certain political figures (on both sides, sadly) ;)

Look, I have an Incredible, and I have an Evo. I don't post about my Evo on Inc forums, and I don't post about my Inc on the Evo forums.
Simple concept that works for everyone.

Upvote 0
You are absolutely correct.

It is more disingenuous however to mislead the market.

The Droid X was originally hoopla'd and said to come out with 2.2. It was going to have killer performance - it's a killer processor and 2.2 is killer.

Suppose they'd done the release that way.

The market excitement would've shifted from the Droid X to the Droid X's wonderful Android implementation.

Potential buyers shopping for competing products, such as the EVO, would be hearing this: that's 2.2 - when the EVO has it, it'll all be the same.

The differentiation is still there, but it's weak.

Now - suppose you can release the Droid X with 2.1 but get 2.2 performance in some areas and keep that secret. They're not promising the same huge improvement when the Droid X upgrades to 2.2. Oh, no, they're completely innocent - none of them make future promises like that in marketing.

But it is not coincidental that they've implied it, and that expectation has been set.

And if I'm right, today's Droid X fans are going to ask what went wrong. And if any of them start blaming the silicon, then it affects me. I work in R&D in the semiconductor industry and would rather not have another round of needless questions creeping in to my personal life.

Believe me - if I'm right (and I don't _know_ if I am - but I'm not a fool) and if the big 2.2 performance improvement doesn't happen, what do you think the excuse will be?

The truth?

No. The excuse will be, well, that was the bug in the Droid X GPU and that's why they held back 2.2 - but don't worry, the new Droid Y will fix it with its OMAP 4 processor.

I have a choice. Ring the alarm and be laughed out of town as a benchmark-hating idiot later - or start right now protecting the reputation of OMAP 3 and Android 2.2.

I think I'm right, I have the courage of my convictions, so I'm willing to risk being laughed out of town as an idiot.

And no - I don't work for any of the industry processor makers so I don't have a dog in this fight where my own dollars are concerned.

I work at the level above that, in semiconductor reliability test, so my hands are clean.

In my case, that's proven not true by the fact that my "shenanigans" link point to an aside post that I wrote over in the thread criticizing and exploring the EVO's video limitations.

Again, my hands are clean.

It's not that the benchmark tests mean nothing.

I'm taking a LOT of meaning from them, now aren't I?

I'm just not taking the meaning that others want me to.

I wrote my "shenanigans" post as best I could for the lay person. Feel free to criticize it, I count on that to improve my communication skills.

You may not have meant me specifically, but if I'm not the poster boy for the outcry against that benchmark video, I don't know who is.

Cheers!

First, I did not mean you or anyone else in particular. I don't browse these forums enough to know members' stated positions on matters of such vital import.

However, I do apologize if what I posted, in any way, makes your personal life as someone in the "R&D in the semiconductor industry" more complicated. I suppose my naivete didn't allow me to see the potentially far reaching implications of online forum postings for some.

Having said that, my only real point was, based on various responses I've seen on the forum, that some users are so emotionally invested in their phones that it seems to cloud their objectivity and blind to the obvious.

Now, is this a bad thing? Not necessarily; forums like this exist partly because of our enthusiasm for the subject matter at hand. It brings us together and allows us to share a sense of camaraderie. But when this enthusiam turns blind and manifests itself in personal attacks and accusations of "trolling" in any discussion that even hints at potential issues/dissatisfaction or otherwise is perceived as an insult to the good name of Evo, hasn't it gone too far and stifles open exchange of ideas?

Upvote 0
The point is that the EVO's hardware shortcomings cant be fixed with a simple firmware upgrade whereas the Droid X's web rendering problem can. I believe that's the point some are trying to make. Screen separation, and other hardware issues are a lot more serious than a problem that can fixed with a simple software patch, like EVO's 30fps lock.

No, the real point is that no one knows the ACTUAL shortcomings of the Droid X because they haven't been sold to millions of people yet and had 160 apps installed on it, and been dropped, run down an assembly line etc.

You can't compare real life shortcomings to demo fantasy goodness. It doesn't add up. How many demo Iphone 4's has yellow blobs on the screen, or froze up and vibrated to dead battery?

Exactly.

5. Web Page Text
- EVO won there because it changes text to fit the screen!... Seriously?

Actually yeah, that makes a HUGE deal in web browsing because you don't have to scroll back and forth to see what's being read. The text is automatically sized to fit however much you zoom in. That is a surefire win in the browser category if I've ever seen one.

As for the benchmark tests, every test I've seen with them being compared on WIFI and 3g has them pretty much identical loading speeds. The Droid has better video quality and can play games on it, but is lacking a major component in the future of smart phones.

FRONT FACING CAMERA FOR VIDEO CHAT!!!!

That's almost a deal breaker considering ALL of the other major smartphones have it. So people on Iphone (when they can get to wifi, and have a 3rd party fring app, lol) will talk to people on EVO's will talk to people on Galaxy's and the droid will be left out.

The droid is great, but stop polluting this forum with your nonsense.

Reactions: wase4711
Upvote 0
First, I did not mean you or anyone else in particular. I don't browse these forums enough to know members' stated positions on matters of such vital import.

However, I do apologize if what I posted, in any way, makes your personal life as someone in the "R&D in the semiconductor industry" more complicated. I suppose my naivete didn't allow me to see the potentially far reaching implications of online forum postings for some.

I take responsibility for being unclear. By my personal life, I mean my real life - my walking around, face to face with people life. The one where friends to turn to me to deconflict confusion that builds up for them in the tech sector.

My meaning was, that planting a seed here, the word of mouth that extends and flows outward can be less confusing for others.

Those of us that do any posting whatsoever in forums like these are vastly outnumbered by those that do not, but I'm of the opinion that more word-of-mouth flows from here. Six degrees of separation.

You in no way impeded or insulted or stepped on any of my toes.

Quite to the contrary, you asked some great questions and made some great points and I heartily welcomed the opportunity to respond. (edit - Taking it as possibly directed to me was something that I'd intended as a courtesy to you, in event that you might be too shy to post to me by name. Who knew?)

Because in real life, I'd rather be having fun than helping my friends with tech confusion. But because of the definition of the word friend, I never refuse them.

So no, I'm not bothered by people on forums just not seeing my point of view. That's control freak behavior that always leads to fanboyism and flames.

I put it out there, if no one's interested in the discussion, I move on.

Hey - I'm posting as a leisure activity, not out of OCD. I just as often just watch a movie or a ball game. :D

Having said that, my only real point was, based on various responses I've seen on the forum, that some users are so emotionally invested in their phones that it seems to cloud their objectivity and blind to the obvious.

Sad, isn't it?

Now, is this a bad thing? Not necessarily; forums like this exist partly because of our enthusiasm for the subject matter at hand. It brings us together and allows us to share a sense of camaraderie. But when this enthusiam turns blind and manifests itself in personal attacks and accusations of "trolling" in any discussion that even hints at potential issues/dissatisfaction or otherwise is perceived as an insult to the good name of Evo, hasn't it gone too far and stifles open exchange of ideas?

Yep.

PS - To the part where it can argued that this is real life, too?

No worries, I'm helping people out with their tech confusion. ;)

Upvote 0
Well I have been up and down the Droid X system and I see nothing indicating it's using any parts of 2.2. I'm not saying it isn't possible but it seems extremely unlikely.

I would never expect our 3 year old Snapdragon to win against a (almost) brand new TI OMAP anyway.

Bottom line for me is I am very happy with the performance of my Evo and don't feel insignificant just because a better handset is coming out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones