• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Our EVO selected as as one of the 10 "devices that will fail in 2010"

Status
Not open for further replies.
It prints money. It has an app that will build you your own island and then it transforms into a frakking jet and flies you there.

However, I called Sprint, then HTC and was able to verify that if you attempt to have any form of physical relations with it, that will void your warranty.

And creep people out.

(unofficially, one HTC rep did volunteer that she was unclear as to what that would do to or for reception)

It helps reception.;)

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I dont get why all you guys think the EVO is gods gift to man. I actually agree with the article. We already know better android phones have been announced and are coming in the next few months. Meaning the EVO will be old news even before this year is over. It was expected by the way the mobile device market is advancing these days. So anyone who doesnt like the EVO, is an apple fanboy? This phone isnt perfect, neither is the Iphone. But come on at least get your heads out from your asses.

Whats not perfect for you may be perfect for someone else. Anyways I thought the point of the thread was whether or not the EVO will fail. Not if the damn phone is Gods perfect gift to man kind.

Reactions: damewolf13
Upvote 0
Uhhhhhh I did read it
icon_rolleyes.gif
. If you "read" my other posts you will see that it comes from what the general public perceive and want in a phone. Point is the Iphone just works, its easy enough for a grandpa to use. People got used to having an easy to use phone. Its what the people want and its what every phone will be compared to.

I got my 75 year old grandma an EVO, after a couple of days she mastered the swiping, gestures, etc. In other words she got the hang of it. So you saying Dumb, Old, and Non techie people cant use anything else other then an Iphone. What about the Jitterbug? Is that phone only for the mentally disabled or what? :eek:

Upvote 0
Low price plans have nothing to do with what makes a phone better.
that is more of a comparison of Sprint Vs. everybody else

I do partially agree with the article as well as some points

Nobody really uses Sprint....which should mean wonders for their network since they won't ever have to experience the issues At & t supposedly has with their network.
I find it interesting people(people on these forums) Say they drop calls but people i know who have AT & t actually never experienced drop calls.

How is "the iphone is a fail" due to selling 1.7 by like three days?

True, 77% were upgrades...i did a quick calculation...the iphones other 23% is around 391,000 which is still more then evo's launch day sales.

The argument that iphone is having issues with signal and the yellowish screens....

1)Sprint had their own issues(although temporarily) where customers literally bricked their phones that HTC and they both sent to phones
2)Sprint/HTC has build quality issues as well(screen issues)

At the end of the day, Android's "open" philosophy and Apple's "walled garden"...nobody really cares from a customer perspective.

It doesn't mean we as customers are "DUMB" but nobody really cares to waste time tweaking
a phone...You shouldn't have to tweak a phone like you do android to get it to perform better(i.e hero/eris)

I really do not think Android will ever see the success apple sees in one device...Even with Verizon(the biggest carrier), every ONE android device is a fail compared to apple. Which is why it has been stated before, that it takes ALL android devices to see the success of Apple.

However, this means with all the android devices combined this will allow GOOGLE ANDROID TO OVERTAKE APPLE. The evo is a great device but to be honest, i wouldn't say it does much anything better than an iphone 4...if anything, a phone is basically on the same level as iphone for once.

Nobody uses Sprint? I guess Sprint just has 50 million nobodys then.

Upvote 0
I got my 75 year old grandma an EVO, after a couple of days she mastered the swiping, gestures, etc. In other words she got the hang of it. So you saying Dumb, Old, and Non techie people cant use anything else other then an Iphone. What about the Jitterbug? Is that phone only for the mentally disabled or what? :eek:
Well good for your grandma. Im saying the iphone just works, simple and out of the box better than the EVO, and people expect that from their phones now.

Upvote 0
Well good for your grandma. Im saying the iphone just works, simple and out of the box better than the EVO, and people expect that from their phones now.

Damn right its good for my grandma. The point is that Android is just as intuitive as the POS Iphone. Its got a really huge phone button right on the middle bottom of the screen. How freakin hard is that. Android is great for everyone from 75 year old grandmas to tech savvy geniuses such as yourself.

Upvote 0
Yes the majority of people who tweak there android devices are trying to make their devices perform better.

I thought that was the main purpose of root....To give your phone features it technically isn't supposed to have(i.e live wall papers on a hero) to make it perform better

Correct me if i am wrong?

Rooting makes your device perform better? Live wallpapers makes your device perform better?

You might want to retract that statement.

Because jailbreaking the iPhone has always given the iPhone capabilities that other phones already had.

Upvote 0
The article is wrong because he has written the EVO off as a failure, when it's already a proven success. It is the most popular phone on a network that doesn't have many high end options, and doesn't release many high end phones on a regular basis like say, Verizon.
So, the EVO and the Samsung 4G phone will be top dogs on SPRINT for quite a time to come. Unless you are someone with disposable cash who can jump from network to network and pay the accompanying ETFs, then really doesn't matter what ATT has, what Verizon has, or what TMo has. The fact of the matter is, the EVO will NOT be obsolete or out-of-date for SPRINT users.

Will it get old? Yes. Will better options come along on SPRINT? Eventually. But so you have the evolution of the modern smartphone. Just because Blackberry released the Bold doesn't make the Curve a failure.

Reactions: Complex757
Upvote 0
I dont know if anyone touched on this......

HTC will probably have an Android and WinMo, Dual-Core, 4G phone on Sprint within the next 2 years..

By the time Sprint finishes their 4G rollout, the EVO (and the Epic) could be the most affordable 4G phone(s) out. Sprint doesnt have to EOL this phone anytime soon, its ahead of its time. That was a big plus for having this come out being 4G ready so early.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I've heard that iphone fanboy tone before. They claimed the EVO won't be a game changer for Sprint and that Sprint was putting all their eggs in one basket. Guess what, their recent articles started saying "who could've guessed how successful the EVO was, that even sprint and htc did not anticipate that much demand...". I could've told them that the EVO would be a major success simply because it made me to jump ship from my iphone 3gs.

Now I can tell them that even after 1 year, it will still be wildly popular due to it being such a perfect phone with big screen, kickstand, and 4g. Businesses will start adopting sprint's 4g (EVO/EPIC) when SF, NYC, and LA lights up. Perhaps some other android phone with 4.3" screen with 720p hyper retina display (galaxy s2), dual-core, 4g, and maybe kickstand could overshadow it in the future. But by far EVO is still one perfectly spec-ed phone for at least the next two years, it will be sort of like how the iphone first gen is still somewhat viable.

I can't wait for the author to write his new article, "who would've guessed the evo...". Answer: anyone who is not brainwashed...

I don't feel like reading the rest of these posts, so I'm just gonna drop my 2 cents... even when I get a new phone after my Evo, I will still keep my Evo and use it frequently, can't get rid of that huge screen, and wifi!

Upvote 0
Point is the Iphone just works, its easy enough for a grandpa to use.

As long as you hold it in your right hand, sure.

People got used to having an easy to use phone. Its what the people want and its what every phone will be compared to.

No, this is wrong. People are buying the BRAND, not the PHONE. Because I've used both and the Evo is just as easy to use as the iPhone. My 5 year old son can move between menus, I'm thinking the Evo doesn't have any problems with ease of use.

Upvote 0
Nobody uses Sprint? I guess Sprint just has 50 million nobodys then.

It's funny that you quote the initial statement i made but didn't read the other post where I basically apologized for the statement i made.

Early mon understood what i meant though i didn't word it the way i should have.

I meant when compared with At & t and Verizon, Sprint is very meager...that's what i meant when i said nobody uses sprint

thanks

Upvote 0
It's one thing to post something relevant, sourced and logical that just happens to be negative. It's another thing to go out of your way to post often marginally relevant, completely unbacked and illogical negative things in every thread possible about a phone you have moved on from. THAT is a textbook form of trolling.

Sorry bud but i am guessing the term trolling is subjective because trolling to me are people who do not have the phone and are bashing it and it's user without any first hand knowledge of how it works....

Kind of like iphone users coming to an Evo forum and talking down about the phone

myself...i actually owned an evo for the majority of June so anything i post is relevant to me and my opinions about the phone and device.

I have moved on from the phone personally as my own device but i still play around with the Evo, i have a father who is now using sprint and his evo so yes I still post and come here looking for new information and posting my opinion or issues i have with his phone because i love this community for the most part , because there are a lot of people here who you can actually have a discussion with(i can speak as negatively as i want about a device and they can speak and praise it and we disagree yet there is no issue about it). I like that because it not only educates me on things i was wrong about and Earlymon gave me a lot of food for thought and i actually did some research and saw some of the things i said were completely wrong. It also gives others another outlook besides their own to look at as well.

Nobody specifically said the phone was god's gift however the overall atmosphere that I am getting from Evo Owners is an air that is god's gifts.

What's funny is i had already apologized earlier for speaking incorrectly and people are STILL posting about it.

Drop it...because the only person going out of their way to post anything are the people who truly feel the need to defend a phone....

Upvote 0
Sorry bud but i am guessing the term trolling is subjective because trolling to me are people who do not have the phone and are bashing it and it's user without any first hand knowledge of how it works....

No. Trolling has nothing to do with device ownership. Someone could still own an Evo and troll this forum (and a couple people do). Trolling is a behavior.

Upvote 0

Kind of like iphone users coming to an Evo forum and talking down about the phone

myself...i actually owned an evo for the majority of June so anything i post is relevant to me and my opinions about the phone and device.

I have moved on from the phone personally as my own device but i still play around with the Evo, i have a father who is now using sprint and his evo so yes I still post and come here looking for new information and posting my opinion or issues i have with his phone because i love this community for the most part , because there are a lot of people here who you can actually have a discussion with(i can speak as negatively as i want about a device and they can speak and praise it and we disagree yet there is no issue about it). I like that because it not only educates me on things i was wrong about and Earlymon gave me a lot of food for thought and i actually did some research and saw some of the things i said were completely wrong. It also gives others another outlook besides their own to look at as well.

Nobody specifically said the phone was god's gift however the overall atmosphere that I am getting from Evo Owners is an air that is god's gifts.

What's funny is i had already apologized earlier for speaking incorrectly and people are STILL posting about it.

Drop it...because the only person going out of their way to post anything are the people who truly feel the need to defend a phone....

Gonna have to expand, trolling is a forum term, used on many if not all forums, so it has nothing to do with phones.

This explains is nicely.

Troll (Internet) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Upvote 0

You've posted so much nonsense, I bet you've forgotten what the original topic was about.

That's why you're a troll.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones