• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Out of internal memory. How to apps install onto SD after 2.2.1 root with Team Chicken Eater ROM.

Please excuses my noobness... This is my first post on here... I have been following the EXCELLENT GUIDES on here pretty easily up to this point... Before I explain my problem; since this is my first post, I would like to thank EVERYONE on here for what I have learned so far... Without this site this phone might as well just be a phone and calculator that can go onto the internet... Instead with your help, This phone has become almost more necessary than my car!

Here's the issue. After following the guides, I've been able to root my 2.2.1, install the Custom Recovery Menu and install teamchickeneater's ROM... The phone is a pale comparison of what it was when it first came out of the box... Still have a couple "issues" before this phone is "godly". First and most important is the fact I'M RUNNING OUT OF INTERNAL MEMORY! after the 2nd week!? :( I have tried like 4 different guides trying to get my take my internal memory and combine it with my SD card... Is there even a way of doing this? With teamchickeneaters ROM? Thanks in Advance for any and all help...

Please excuses my noobness... This is my first post on here... I have been following the EXCELLENT GUIDES on here pretty easily up to this point... Before I explain my problem; since this is my first post, I would like to thank EVERYONE on here for what I have learned so far... Without this site this phone might as well just be a phone and calculator that can go onto the internet... Instead with your help, This phone has become almost more necessary than my car!

Here's the issue. After following the guides, I've been able to root my 2.2.1, install the Custom Recovery Menu and install teamchickeneater's ROM... The phone is a pale comparison of what it was when it first came out of the box... Still have a couple "issues" before this phone is "godly". First and most important is the fact I'M RUNNING OUT OF INTERNAL MEMORY! after the 2nd week!? :( I have tried like 4 different guides trying to get my take my internal memory and combine it with my SD card... Is there even a way of doing this? With teamchickeneaters ROM? Thanks in Advance for any and all help...

Download a cache cleaner

Upvote 0
I have seen were apps like Apps2SD with a rooted phone be able to add internal memory from SD card... Maybe I'm not asking the right question.. Or don't know the jargon or terminology...

I have 200MB of internal storage and the free 2gb SD card that came with phone... I have moved as many apps as possible to my sd card... BUT still have ran out of internal storage... SO much that I'm getting low memory warnings :(

I have seen on youtube when previous droids have had this problem they just partition the SD card and make it so they have more internal memory...

something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKbVDIHG818&playnext=1&list=PL4A4D6E76B8D03121

Upvote 0
I have seen were apps like Apps2SD with a rooted phone be able to add internal memory from SD card... Maybe I'm not asking the right question.. Or don't know the jargon or terminology...

I have 200MB of internal storage and the free 2gb SD card that came with phone... I have moved as many apps as possible to my sd card... BUT still have ran out of internal storage... SO much that I'm getting low memory warnings :(

I have seen on youtube when previous droids have had this problem they just partition the SD card and make it so they have more internal memory...

something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKbVDIHG818&playnext=1&list=PL4A4D6E76B8D03121
Could you just use that app2sd and move your apps over, I was down to 88mb of internal memory and decided to try that now I have 125mb of internal it obviously can not move every one or all of the file but it should give you some breathing room, you must have a lot of downloaded apps to be consuming 200mb

Upvote 0
AHHHHHHHHHH!!!! i had this issue too. i moved almost 100% of my apps to my sd card though. not including the ones i use widgets with and a few google ones i kept in the system/apps folder

i found this a LONG while back, it helpped me because it basically enables the move to SD feature of 2.2 and up for all apps. there are still a few and system apps that cant be moved but for the most part any app on the marketplace can be.

Android – Move your apps to SD | Serge Jespers

hope that helps you ^^

Upvote 0

this looks interesting! ;D once i get my 32gb from newegg im going to try this out and see if it works! :)

Thank you that information about moving unmovable ones is great.

your welcome ^^ always happy to help on this forum cause people here are always helpful to me too :)

Upvote 0
this looks interesting! ;D once i get my 32gb from newegg im going to try this out and see if it works! :)

your welcome ^^ always happy to help on this forum cause people here are always helpful to me too :)
I did as it instructed, and went a little move happy, found that some things really should stay on the internal storage, such as swype keyboard, and the launcher. lol but got it all sorted out and working.

Upvote 0
pretty close to what i'm looking for...

but if you look at the end of this guys video, he literally was using his SD card as internal storage...

so when he would go to settings > SD card & phone settings then to internal phone storage he changed it to close to +1.4GB's...

THAT'S what I would like to do... I'm starting to think Apps2sd2.apk dont work with the ROM :(

Upvote 0
I did as it instructed, and went a little move happy, found that some things really should stay on the internal storage, such as swype keyboard, and the launcher. lol but got it all sorted out and working.

lol well im glad you worked it out xD
i would have been happy to help if you had crippled your phone a bit :D!

just remember, anything on the phones internal will be read and loaded first, thats why most system critical things are made non move-able without root, the SD card is loaded shortly after the phone starts up so mostly it takes time to use any apps saved on it depending on how fast your phone feels like being on start up :)

pretty close to what i'm looking for...

but if you look at the end of this guys video, he literally was using his SD card as internal storage...

so when he would go to settings > SD card & phone settings then to internal phone storage he changed it to close to +1.4GB's...

THAT'S what I would like to do... I'm starting to think Apps2sd2.apk dont work with the ROM :(

well one thing I personally haven't tried but have seen in the recovery menu for 2.2.1 and for 2.2 is that there is a partition SD menu, i did explore it without my sd card in and for the partition option it lets you set

Swap Size The swap "file" size that acts and virtual memory,
ext size i think thats how it shows thats essentially what gets read as internal storage as well
and the remainder is fat32 which is the part thats read as external storage

so if you want to give that a try i can give you a run through of exactly how to get to the menu and start the partitioning/set sizes

Reactions: Deeeepimpact
Upvote 0
funny you guys are going down this path... I've been "tinkering" messing with different settings in the 2.2.1 Custom Recovery Menu and I just posted this problem under this thread:

"Anyone else having problems when trying to mount /sd-ext after partitioning sdcard? I get an error "E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 (No such device)"

http://androidforums.com/optimus-m-...nally-custom-recovery-2-2-1-stock-phones.html

When I use the Recovery Menu to partition the sd card I do:
Swap: 35mb
Fat32 Size: 571.8
Ext2 1400.00

When I get done partitioning I go to mount it in the Recovery Menu I get the error mentioned above ""E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 (No such device)"... After reboot, the internal storage (memory) amount is still at 158MB... BUT the total space on my SD card goes from 1.8GB to 507MB to Am I missing a step here?

Upvote 0
OK.. i may have some help for a few of you.. but i also have alot of questions.

First.. U dont need to mount the SD-ext partition to use it.. however.. if i am correct.. u do need to use Dark Trems Apps2sd script in order to use it. and the Swap from what i know and have read, i believe is only usable if u are running CM7 or some kind of Gingerbread ROM

Now my question is this.. I recently got a new phone.. the LG Optimus M MS690. I had a Huawei Ascend b4, was running CM6 on it with DTs A2sd script installed.. which transfered ALL internal apps and cache to teh sdcard Freeing up ALL of the internal memory and running EVERYTHING from the SD card. Even the Dalvik cahse was moved tot eh SD card. Was awesome..
I ahve now Purchased a new phone.. old one broke.. I have the Optimus M.. Have rooted it and removed all bloatware. Thats as far as i have gone so far.. My biggest question is, and i hope there is someone out there with the answer, Can u use dtapps2sd script on this phone with the stock ROM? I see the custom recovery available for this phone.. im aboutt no flash it and make a backup.. i guess i could just run the script and see what happens.. but i usually dont go blindly into things lol. I also only see a couple roms available for this phone.. and ahve no idea how good either of them are. I also have a question about the OCed kernal that is available for this phone. Can i run this kernal with the stock room? If i could runt he kernal and the a2sd script with this phone it would be amazing.. its already way faster than my old phone,, and a2sd would take away the wall i have hit with apps.. im not maxed out but i dont want to max out and have my phone moving like a slug. again any help would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones