• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Out of memory notifications & apps unexpectedly ending

Hi, this is my forst post. I am a veteran PC user (desktop, OS's) but brand new to the world of Android. The viewpad 7 being my first entry into Android.

I recently bought my first ever Android device, an Viesonic Viepad 7 model VS13761 with 512mb RAM and Android 2.2. I am thouroughy disappointed with the device. My biggest disappointment is with regards to the lack of memory.
Problem: the lack of memory whenever I try to launch apps and unable to install apps due to lack of space, but I've already moved everything that could to the SDCard.

I have moved all the apps that I can to the 8Gb memory card but that made no difference. Whenever I got an 'out of memory', or 'not enough space to run...' I restarted the device and that made no difference. As a result I am unable to install any more apps and can barely run anything on the device.

My question is:
1. Is the memory issues I am experiencing because of a limitation of Android 2.2 ? I have already read other forums posts relating to my question.
2. Would a Android (2.2, 3.0, 3.1) device with 1Gb Ram and 4/8/16/32Gb SDcard memory also have the same memory issues as previously mentioned ?
3. Does the amount of RAM have any influence on the amount of apps one can run ? Meaning, no matter if one has 512mb RAM and a 32Gb SDcard memory, you would still have the limitations of only bing able to run what one can load/run from RAM.

The reason for my asking is that I am looking to import myself tablet direct from an online Chinese dealer. I don't wanna buy another 512mb device just to find that I will have the same issues that I am trying to escape, namely memory litmitations.

Does the amount of apps running depend the available RAM ? Will an increase in RAM benefit me ? Would a device running Andoid 3.0/3.1 with 512mb RAM be able to run/manage apps better than a similair device running Android 2.2 ?

Thank you

The solution is to purchase a faster speed micro SD card, format part of it to ext4, and then use an app on the phone like link2SD that will not only move the app to sdcard, but will also move the data and other stuff that adds up.

I had about 100 apps installed on mine when I had it, almost all set up that way, and never a problem using anything. There are more detailed instructions elsewhere, I'll see if I can track them down.

Reactions: leonghk
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones