1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Outlook and Excel questions

Last Updated:

1. jaguarot

jaguarot Member This Topic's Starter

I haven't been following the WP7 release but was under the impression it would be available in about a month. Then I heard it wouldn't be available on Sprint for another year. My contract was up on my HTC Touch Pro on WM6.1. Upon seeing my son's Samsung Epic Galaxy 5 Android 2.1 (on Sprint), I decided to give it a try. Much of it blew me away, but he doesn't use the same apps as I.

I picked up the Epic this weekend. I've noticed a bunch of features I really like, for example how it handles BlueTooth. The AMOLED screen is fantastic. Most of the other stuff is just a matter of things I have to get used to.

There are a few things I really don't like and I have 30 days or alternate programs to figure out how to get them to my liking, all having to do with Office 2010 apps that I use regularly. I'm running SBS 2008 with Exchange and Win7 on my primary PC.

1. I'm old school and never got used to alphabetizing contacts by first name. I prefer company, last name, first name. Anyway to change that?

2. I have 60+ folders in ten branches in Outlook. The Android app displays them in tabs across the top. I'd much prefer a tree display. Any way to do that?

3. I did some searching to find an easy way to sync Outlook Notes (or OneNote or even a third-party app) between my PC and the Epic. Unfortunately a search turns up all the information on synching Outlook.

4. Anyone have a recommendation for synching Excel spreadsheets (.xlsx) between the phone and my PC or server?

Thanks for any help you can offer during this mildly challenging transition.

Mark

Advertisement
  2. jimdroid

jimdroid Well-Known Member

4. Use Dropbox to synchronize files across computers/phones.

jd

3. jaguarot

Thanks, JD. I use dropbox, but am used to connecting up to sync, so it didn't occur to me. One of the files is a list of passwords, so I'm a bit hesitant to have that stored in the cloud.

Have any recommendations for the best software to read Excel files on Android? Password protection would be a big plus.

Mark

4. jaguarot

Forget the question about Excel. I'm still finding apps on the phone. I just discovered ThinkFree Office and am playing around with that.

Mark

5. smithjones

smithjones Member

I am curious what andriod app are you using for Outlook? I am an Outlook user and haven't been satisfied with the "gmail - outlook" interface.....

thanks,

s/j

6. jaguarot

s/j,

I'm not using an Outlook app, per se (unless the apps are tied together). I haven't figured out how to pull up the names of the apps, but they're the ones that come with the Samsung Epic. There are four components, three of which sync. Calendar, Email, Contacts, and Memo (which doesn't sync, as far as I can tell).

The biggest thing I don't like about Conrtacts is that they are only ordered by first name. Most of my contacts are businsss, so I'd like to list by business, but can't find anyplace to change that.

Email is great but it looks like it's made for people with just a few folders. I really need something with a tree view.

I can live without something synching to my Outlook Notes, but it would be ideal if Memo did sync to that, but at least usable if it synched to some program in Windows.

Unless I'm missing something in the options in programs, it's apparent to me that the PIM programs that came on my phone aren't really business class. There are a lot of things I like better on Android than on WM6.1, but I'd really like to find an app that's more Outlook-like.

Mark

7. jolenemae21

jolenemae21 Well-Known Member

Ditto :)

8. jimdroid

Mark,

Google products are more oriented to searching than scrolling. Typing either first or last name into the search box of Contacts will get you what you want.

Similarly, Google email is more oriented around labels than folders. Once you get used to labels (and it did take me a while) you might find that they suit your really well. I now wish that Outlook had labels instead of folders :).

There are many Note programs that sync. You can use Evernote, Springpad and a host of others that sync with the cloud (and therefore your PC).

There is also Google Tasks, which syncs with the cloud.

jd

9. tmohd2androiduser

tmohd2androiduser New Member

Hello All
    Enjoying my Android handset after a long journey on TMO HTC HD2. Now my HD2 is running on Fryeo version. Enabled my corp email. One problem now I have is when I do a "reply all", a copy is getting sent to my INDBOX, how do I stop it.
    Thanks for your help.

10. jaguarot

Jim,

Thanks for the info. I did find a good app called TimeCatcher which does exactly what I needed. I was using Notes to track my time at customers. TimeCatcher is like a stopwatch and when you're done, you can put notes about the work. It doesn't sync as far as I can tell, which makes it a little harder to cut and paste, but I may find a way to do that when I've played with it a little more.

Mark

11. jimdroid

Mark,
    TimeCatcher looks really nice...thanks for the info. Let us know how it works out for you.

jim

12. Zarch

Zarch Well-Known Member

13. ross607

ross607 Member

If you're using exchange, try this app: Touchdown

Exchange TouchDown (Andro 1.x) - Android app on AppBrain

this is a 30 day trial of the full product, really nice app and just what I was after unfortuantely the price of the full app ($20) put me off purchasing so I had to go back to stock which is functional but nothing more. Wasn't froyo supposed to add some extra features and functionality to the stock exchange? I haven't noticed any difference.

14. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

I can't speak to this specific requirement but you might want to look at the Exchange clients out there. Touchdown was mentioned but there's also RoadSync and Moxier, among others. IIRC, K-9 supports Exchange as well.

Are you looking to sync with Outlook or with Exchange? They're not the same thing despite what seems to be a common misunderstanding on many forums. Exchange is the server. Outlook is a client -- commonly used with Exchange but it does support many other types of mail servers.

15. tmohd2androiduser

tmohd2androiduser New Member

I am getting SYNC error, but when I go to mail outlook is getting SYNCD and getting all emails. THis problem occurs only when I am not in the email, currently my email setup is to get the emails as they arrive in my inbox. Appreciate your help.