Outlook contacts and sorting on the Droid

Last Updated:

1. dbog

dbog Member This Topic's Starter

After a bit of fiddling I was able to sync my Outlook email, calendar and contacts. It looks great and I'm quite pleased except for one thing. The listing of my contacts is by first name then last. Unfortunately there does not seem to be any way to have the Droid reorder the contacts list by last name first. I've spoken with other Droid owners and they have no problem with first name then last, but for me it's a real time waster having to "find" a particular individual, as for many of them I don't know their first names, just last. Is there a way that I am unaware of to sort the contacts by last name first? Our IT guy discovered a work around, but it entails going through each of my contacts and changing the way the names are displayed in the "Full Name" category. For over 200 contacts this will take some time. Thanks for your help...

Dan

Advertisement
  2. dbog

Bump

3. doomedromance

doomedromance Well-Known Member

Sorry that made me laugh. Great "work around" haha, it was the first thought that popped into my head.

But anyway, how did you get your contacts to sync? I have google calendar sync but only thing I could find to sync my contacts was google app sync and that was like paid for business use or something I couldn't use it. I had to save as CSV and import it. But that's a real pain to keep doing back and forth so I don't.

4. Davidrtco

Davidrtco Member

I too would like to know how to sync my calendar and contacts from Outlook! We don't use an exchange server...

Thanks
    dkoscielak@gmail.com

5. jraggio

jraggio Well-Known Member

I am using TouchDown to get Exchange data. It works well. It has an option to sync to the stock contacts app and I notice the behavior of the stock contacts off is a little funky. Some of the imported contacts are listed as "first last" and others are "last, first". I can't figure out why they behave differently. I also found the same inconsistent behavior when I created a new contact in the stock contacts app. It is kind of annoying and does make it difficult to find a contact by scrolling. Then again in the true google spirit, we can just use the search facility to find somebody. It doesn't matter how they are listed. That being said, if any of you can figure out how the stock contacts app chooses to list things I'd appreciate it ;-)

John

6. dmgabe

dmgabe Well-Known Member

You can just hit the search button and start typing their last name.

7. Soul Master

Soul Master Member

I am also one of those people who would prefer the contacts sorted/listed by Last, First. It's annoying the other way.

But, I have found that I am rarely going into my contacts list... I use Voice Search. "Call Joe Lupe Mobile", or if I don't know the first name, "Call Obama Mobile" works fine too.

In my brain, the Voice Search is what is preventing the sort issue from escalating beyond "minimally annoying".

-SM

8. dmgabe

dmgabe Well-Known Member

Why go through the trouble of scrolling through your contact list? Hit your search button and start typing. Contact will appear in the results. I guess some people just like to do things the hard way. Voice search is a viable option also, but I always feel stupid using that sort of feature in public, don't know why, just do.

9. Charlie.Masone

Charlie.Masone Active Member

How about Comany forst then their name? I cannot always remember the names of people I'm looking for but their company usualy comes first. Outlook sorts that way.

10. myanonbox

myanonbox Member

One thing I'd like is sub-folders for contacts. I'd like my personal contacts (friends / family) to be in the main folder, then a special folder for work, then another for restaurants and other local businesses (I get carryout a lot).

11. jraggio

jraggio Well-Known Member

I agree search is the way to go. It just bugs me when things are inconsistent. Some are listed in different ways.

John

12. dbog

Thanks for the quick responses. "Just start typing in the search box" might be fast and efficient for some, but for me being, "thumb challenged" and of the point of view that it shouldn't have to be this complicated would rather have my contacts listed by last name first. As for using the voice command, that has some merit but again adds needless steps. From these responses, it seems that there is no solution but what our IT guy has worked out. I will begin the conversion Monday and begin putting last/first with new contacts.

My work uses Exchange server, so that would answer the questions about syncing. I, too, use to manually sync but am forever spoiled and again more efficient by remote syncing. When an appointment changes, our secretary makes the change and "Voila" I'm current. Thanks again, and if anyone comes across an app that will sync my contacts last/first with exchange I'm on board.

Dan