Outlook Sync Issues - Need Assistance

Last Updated:

1. gunny5821

gunny5821 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hello Guru's,

Well I have my Captivate up and running, after trying and trying and trying harder to sync my Outlook 2007 Contacts and Calendar, I have pretty much self taught the settings arena! So here is what I did;

1. I created an export CSV (Name it Contacts Outlook, suggestion) from Outlook via Contacts
    2. I created an export CSV (Name it Calendar Outlook, suggestion) from Outlook for the Calendar
    3. I than went to the Captivate Settings area and choose the Accounts and Sync, submenu.
    4. I than added my new Gmail Account via the Add Account button on the bottom of the screen. I than selected that Gmail Account via the Manage Accounts submenu, which is located in the same place you currently are at.
    5. Now I went to the internet and started up my Gmail Account.
    6. In the Gmail account, go to Contacts and Calendar and Import in the appropriate CSV file to match what you are doing.

OK, so now everything is on my Captivate. If it takes you a couple of tries to get it right, fear not, I had to do it, oh about 4 times. By the way, if you mess this up and want to delete all of your imported CSV items and try it again, you will need to go into the Privacy setting and than the Factory Data Reset submenu. This will clear everything and yeah you guessed it, put you back to Factory Settings. Hey thats one way to learn, called Practice Makes Perfect, LOL! There are a couple of small steps I left out simply because you will know the next logical step.

OK, now the problem. When I go into contacts, every contact has a small "g" on the contacts tab, indicating the contact is coming from the Google Sync. If there is no "g" on the contact tab, the Contact is stored on your Captivate. So I am reviewing the Contacts I just Imported and noticed there were multiple "g's" on some Contact Tabs. A look into the Contact and I find the culprit. On the contact, there is a submenu titled, Linked Contacts. Now mind you I have NO such thing in Outlook and I have no idea how these links, well became links. So when you proceed to the Linked contacts submenu, you will see a list of Contacts that are now linked to your Contact. Can you delete them yes, but that just causes more ripples on some.

So, is anyone else noticing this? How do I ensure there are NO links when I import? It is really irritating to say the least and it is a true pain to go through this process manually. I examined the Contact within Google and there is no Link Contact to be found. So this must be an Adroid thing. So can someone show me the way....

Thanks ~~ Gunny

Advertisement
  2. gunny5821

Anyone else having this problem? How did you fix it? I'm sure there must be a huge amount of users who use Outlook either at home or work, most likely both. So, lend a hand folks..

Thanks ~~ Gunny

3. Jack45

Jack45 Well-Known Member

Today is your lucky day. I wasted hours on this crap and was finally able to transfer my Outlook contacts to the Captivate without links and without Google's "G". The first thing you need to do is forget syncing via Google. I know others successfully do it this way, but I didn't want to be tied to them and the Gs and links pissed me off.

Here goes.

If you haven't already done so, download the USB driver(s) from here:

http://androidforums.com/samsung-captivate/123644-captivate-usb-drivers-links-here.html#post1151562

Then download Kies from here:

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/SW/201007/20100702081434906/Kies_1.5.1.10071_32.exe

I exported my Outlook contacts (didn't do the Calendar) to a Windows CSV file then selected default mapping.

Now open Kies and have it recognize your phone. Click on the Contacts icon, then the PC tab. Click on Open File and point the program to your Windows CSV file. For some reason the resulting sync placed birthdays for all of my 385 contacts in the Captivate - with all being born today. The answer to this dilemma - if it happens to you - is to map the two birthday fields on the left to something that has no value, like salutation, first born son, or some other field known to be blank.

When Kies presents the resulting contacts listing, open a sample contact that is known to have typical info (notes, etc.) so that you can verify that your imminent transfer will be successful. Then copy all to phone.

You may need to futz with the Kies mapping but it does work.

Oh - and if you missed something in the Kies mapping or for whatever reason don't like how your contacts transferred, you can delete them all from the phone using a free app named Contact Remover (nifty little thing) then try the sync again 'til you get satisfactory results.

Hope this helps!

4. gunny5821