Outlook Syncing with Google and Phone

Last Updated:

1. sdelliott31

sdelliott31 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Being new to Android with the Captivate, I didn't really understand how the syncing with outlook would work. This is what works for me.

1. I keep all my contacts, calendar, and appts. on Outlook on my home PC, so I downloaded the Google Calendar Sync that runs in my system tray.

2. I logged into the Google account and clicked on having Outlook being the main and moving info to Google. I then set the minutes to 10 between syncing.

3. The app will then upload calendar, contacts, and tasks to Google (I only had Yahoo before).

4. My phone settings has Google set to automatically update, after a few more minutes, you will see all the uploaded information sync to your phone.

5. If I am not home, and I now have my Google Calendar Sync set to 120 minutes and that both website and Outlook are combined. I can then enter something on my phone, new contact, or whatever and when I get home it is sitting in my outlook.

Its not reinventing the wheel by any means. But I really struggled on the learning curve so if this helps someone knew great.

Advertisement
  2. calaski8123

calaski8123 Active Member

Coming from the BB, I was disappointed to see how poorly the Android sync was with Outlook. I have my set up similar to yours, but the Google Calendar Sync does not sync contacts... at least on my end it doesnt. It only syncs calendar entries. To be honest, I find the calendar syncing through Google to be quite good as I now have syncing on the phone, online, and my work computer even if I go on vacation as it is over the air.

I have not found a way to sync the contacts though so can you please explain how you did this? Right now I am still using the HTC Sycn to sync my contacts but it is bad. I still also have not found a way to sync my notes either but I am using Evernote which is a workable alternative for the time being.

Jim

3. n7slc

n7slc Member

Coming from a BB and iPhone, I too was extremely disappointed with the lack of good Outlook sync for mail, contacts and calendars. I've found that the Google Sync is hit and miss...I'm using gSyncit and it works really well.

Check it out:

http://www.daveswebsite.com/software/gsync/

4. whoisx3ro

whoisx3ro Member

I got Samsung's Kies program working, and it syncs flawlessly with Outlook contacts. Did for me, anyways.

5. lanceeee

lanceeee Member

Kies works for me too

6. rlb4

rlb4 Well-Known Member

Google Calendar Sync only syncs the calendar, not contacts, tasks or email.

7. calaski8123

calaski8123 Active Member

Yeah thats what I thought.... wondering how he did this?

8. mesho7

mesho7 New Member

My gsyncit doesn't synchronize outlook calendar with google calendar. I get the message:

Error = Type mismatch or the value "01/01/2080 12:00 " in the condition is not valid.

at Microsoft.Office.Interop.Outlook.ItemsClass.Restrict(String Filter)
    at gsyncit.core.CalendarController.UpdateGoogleCalendar(String folderId, String storeId, DateTime startTime, DateTime endTime, SyncTable syncTable, FeedMapping feedMapping)
    at gsyncit.core.SyncProcess._SyncronizeContent()

Version = 1.15.27.0

Did anyone see that before ?

9. Reggie3

Reggie3 Well-Known Member