Outlook Sync'ing with Google/Hero

Last Updated:

1. Stormbringer318

Stormbringer318 Member This Topic's Starter

Hi Folks,

Newbie alert...:confused:

I've come to see the light and made the move last weekend away from windows mobile to the Hero...now I'm ready to embrace the cloud! :eek:

I use Outlook at home which was straight forward to keep in sync on my windows mobile device...

I'm keen to keep using Outlook so my goal is to sync my calendar, contacts and tasks with my google apps account which would then be accessible to the Hero.

After countless hours research and testing I settled on the following setup:
    - Home PC sync's outlook calendar to google calendar via googles calendar sync which is then linked to my Hero; and
    - Home PC sync's outlook contacts to my Hero via HTC Sync.

I haven't devised a method for tasks yet and as for notes I prefer to keep them in outlook only.

This setup has its limitations as HTC Sync sets the contacts to type "phone" which means they don't get uploaded to google. Furthermore, I've discovered that Google in their wisdom automatically creates contacts on your behalf based on people you email and this feature to my knowledge cannot be deactivated...so I'm questioning the merrits of putting my contacts into google if I'm going to be bring down contacts I never created.

I'm keen to hear from others who use outlook and no doubt have more andriod/google experience to get a feel for how they sync up.

PS. I'm using Vista Ultimate (32bit) & Outlook 2007.

Thanks...

Advertisement
  2. Stormbringer318

Just an update on my sync'ing setup...

I've ditched HTC Sync as its incorrectly setting the timezone of the Hero each time it syncs...separate thread on that.

Current setup is:
    - Home PC sync's outlook calendar to google calendar via google calendar sync; and
    - Home PC sync's outlook contacts to google contacts via Companionlink for Google (Trial).

I'm only using Companionlink for contacts as its not playing ball with recurring appointments...I've sent them a email on the matter.

Would really like to hear from others and get a feel for what the Hero/Android community is using to integrate their Outlook information...perhaps a tasks solution that works for others???

Thanks...

3. Stormbringer318

For what its worth...I've asked the folk at Companionlink for assistance regarding recurring appointments...no joy at present but will update this thread when I do.

As for HTC Sync - all support could offer up was not sync'ing my PC with the internet...no joy there so will not be using it - especially during day light savings.

4. Ziani

Ziani Well-Known Member

What I am doing at the moment for my contacts is sync with outlook so have unchecked my google sync settings on my phone so I dont get both.