• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Over 10,000 SMS MSGS Can't Delete

wicked1

Jan 24, 2010
Ok this is starting to piss me off, I have over 10K messages, and it will not let me delete them?

I have been reading the only way to get rid of them is by resetting the phone to factory default? Is there anyway to back up all the stuff I purchased or am I hosed?

Is there an app that will delete them all at once, I do not care if I lose all my SMS msgs, but I really do not wish to reset the phone?

Any Help would be appreciated:eek:

Try this app, SMS Backup & Restore:
QRCode.png

It has an option to delete all SMS messages on phones.

Upvote 0
I use the combo of sms backup and restore and delete old messages. I just like to backup all of my messages, but I don't want to delete them all at once. Delete old messages lets me delete all messages over a week or two old. That keeps my messages trimmed down, but also allows me to keep recent conversations for reference.

On 10K messages, Delete Old Messages is going to take quite some time to do its thing. I recommend that you set it when you aren't going to be using your phone for an hour or so. Maybe when you put it on charge at night.

Upvote 0
If coming from a dumbphone... those auto delete when they reach their max... which is usually like 300. Too bad smartphones cant dumb down sometimes:D

My old dumbphone didn't have autodelete. And it had a capacity of 40 messages (good thing I'm not big on texting). It would just keep asking me to clear my messages if I had one waiting to be received.

The stock Android messaging app does have auto-delete BTW. I have no idea why HTC removed that feature.

Upvote 0
My old dumbphone didn't have autodelete. And it had a capacity of 40 messages (good thing I'm not big on texting). It would just keep asking me to clear my messages if I had one waiting to be received.

The stock Android messaging app does have auto-delete BTW. I have no idea why HTC removed that feature.

40? lol... that's either really old or really crappy.

Yes, now I recall that initially it asks to delete messages once it would get full. But i always found an auto delete option in the settings.

Upvote 0
From what I've seen in some posts about how much people text, 50 texts is what some of them will do before lunch (or breakfast even). If I get to 50 in a month it's been a BIG month, but I'm from the generation that will use a phone as a phone and actually TALK to someone... :)

If you think 50 is a big month, read THIS and tell me that 50 is a big number haha.

Upvote 0
I actually use SMS Cleaner Free. It has by day or month delete options, and it has all those options for free, unlike Delete Old Messages, which in the free version I believe only allowed past 6 months. I average about 150 texts sent and received a day, so I usually go in and delete my messages from the past day or two so I have a few messages from the last day or so in there. I don't know why, but I just don't want to delete EVERYTHING at once, but that's just me.

Upvote 0
My daughter got a standing ovation in one the local sites for having the record for the second Most texts in a month. 18000 +

Btw, the record was about 25000+ this was about a year ago.

:eek:

In the future, all pithy conversations will only be four short sentences long.

> SUP?
# NUTN
> ME2
# LOL

25,000 a month? There are only 960 minutes in a 16 hour day - that's roughly 1 text/minute during every waking minute in a month.

What a slacker I am - 250 a month is my hard stop.

eu1

Upvote 0
:eek:

In the future, all pithy conversations will only be four short sentences long.

> SUP?
# NUTN
> ME2
# LOL

25,000 a month? There are only 960 minutes in a 16 hour day - that's roughly 1 text/minute during every waking minute in a month.

What a slacker I am - 250 a month is my hard stop.

eu1

Haha. Probably mostly were those four sentences. My daughter was probably doing twenty a minute and still does.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones