• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Over 5 phones checked from various locations have grounding issue!!!

That's much worse then mine. I can activate all widgets/apps installed in the top line of the home page. You should probably consider getting a replacement.

Yeah, definitely. I think I'll wait a bit to see what HTC has to say about the 30 fps cap on our devices first. If it's just a bug like most people seem to think and HTC commits to fixing it, I'll swap mine out for a new one. If it's some deeper seeded issue that is permanent, then I might look into the iPhone 4, as much as I do NOT want to do that.

Upvote 0
From my understanding, in a capacitive touchscreen, a layer of electrons (ions?) is passed over the screen and a sensor detects where the flow of electrons is interrupted by the electrical conductivity of the human body.

i-lost-an-electron-are-you-positive-shirt.jpg

Upvote 0
I checked multiple stores to test the issue regarding the touch screen and found that every single phone had the issue! The top half of the screen isn't as responsive as the bottom and it is dramatically affected if it is resting on a soft surface (clothing, bed, rugs etc). I contacted HTC and they were aware of the issue before it was launched (talked about during training sessions).

Upvote 0
I checked multiple stores to test the issue regarding the touch screen and found that every single phone had the issue! The top half of the screen isn't as responsive as the bottom and it is dramatically hindered if it is resting on a soft surface (clothing, bed, rugs etc). I contacted HTC and they were aware of the issue before it was launched (talked about during training sessions).

Good work, detective. Now I am off to do some 4G surfing on my nice big 4.3" screen.

Upvote 0
...and it is dramatically affected if it is resting on a soft surface (clothing, bed, rugs etc).
I don't get this at all... Unless it's because you can't push as hard with your finger, why would this effect responsiveness? Even on my Evo, I barely have to touch the screen to get a response. On the other hand, I have noticed that buttons very close to the edge of the screen, the 'p' button in upright QWERTY and the search button in android market, sometimes take a few tries, but I'm not sure if this is the screen or my little fingers failing to hit where they should. :D

Upvote 0
...and it is dramatically affected if it is resting on a soft surface (clothing, bed, rugs etc).
I don't get this at all... Unless it's because you can't push as hard with your finger, why would this effect responsiveness? Even on my Evo, I barely have to touch the screen to get a response. On the other hand, I have noticed that buttons very close to the edge of the screen, the 'p' button in upright QWERTY and the search button in android market, sometimes take a few tries, but I'm not sure if this is the screen or my little fingers failing to hit where they should. :D

yeah, I noticed that too.

Upvote 0
Wow I noticed this too! I keep my phone on a non-slick rubbish mat (the kind you might use to keep items in drawers or on you car dash from slipping), and unless I'm holding the phone, I can't pull down the menu, and I do have problems activating some other on-screen elements like shortcut icons to apps.

I didn't think much about it (I assumed like an above poster that it required grounding of some kind), but the concern about the car mount and causing issues using navigation really concerns me too.

Since so many people have noticed, I'm not sure what I should do... I have 30 days to return it if I choose to, but other than this the thing is so flawless.

Upvote 0
It happens to all devices unless the whole state of California got bad batches which is highly unlikely....

here's a link to my experience

YouTube - Evo Touch Screen Issue

doesn't happen when using both thumbs...just thumb and index....idk maybe there's something wrong with my fingers but I saw two other people try this and they had the same issues. Remember to do this with the power unplugged too btw. For some odd reason the power cable corrects the issue somewhat.

Upvote 0
All I know is that the Palm Pre, despite it's many hardware issues, did not have screen/grounding problems which I would consider a major issue over "oreo" effects. Also, the iphone has an insane screen and I barely have to touch it to get it responding. I really wish 3 years after the initial release of the iphone that the other companies would be at least caught up when it comes to the fundamentals of a smartphone. I love the EVO but this looks like a hardware issue that can't be corrected by an OTA update...but who knows...maybe HTC will deliver.

Upvote 0
I checked multiple stores to test the issue regarding the touch screen and found that every single phone had the issue! The top half of the screen isn't as responsive as the bottom and it is dramatically affected if it is resting on a soft surface (clothing, bed, rugs etc). I contacted HTC and they were aware of the issue before it was launched (talked about during training sessions).

you brought your bed to multiple stores?!

i like this phone. if i was having this problem, i'd pick it up with my other hand.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones