• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Over 5 phones checked from various locations have grounding issue!!!

If you cant pull down the notification bar while your phone is laying down, try plugging it in and charging it. When my phone is laying on a surface, I cant pull the notification bar down and the screen is finicky. While its charging, everything works perfectly, weird.
If you just touch the phone it works too. You don't have to plug it in.

It's not really that strange if you look around a bit:
http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/99387-improperly-grounded-touchscreen.html
http://androidforums.com/support-tr...d-various-locations-have-grounding-issue.html

Upvote 0
and, therefore, this is not a problem, right?

i mean, if you barely notice a multi-touch problem while your phone is laying on your bed, which is like, what; .05% of the time...

edit; i just dl'd a multi-touch visualizer. i did see a problem on my table, couch, and kid's bookbag. the touches "stuttered" but were there. if i picked it up, not a problem. bottom line: if i need to multi touch, get it off my kid's back pack.

where's that louis c.k. video about how we're not satisfied with anything?

I agree with you on both counts.

I'm seeing touches stuttered on the top half of the screen if the phone is on something that is not grounded (it was a couch for me) The touches do register (I tested with a multi touch visualizer and just dragging down the notification bar) but the capacitive screen is not very responsive at all.

I, also, don't think this is a big deal. If I didn't test specifically, I prob. would have never given it a second thought.

I would guess that it could be fixed with a firmware update. I know that the Incredible has the same issues and the Motorola Droid has issues in a capacitive screen test and that has not detracted from the quality of the device. Here's the link:

Capacitive screens test ? iPhone, HTC Droid Eris, Motorola Milestone and Google Nexus One

This grounding issue, I can live with. The issue with the bottom of the glass screen coming loose is a much bigger problem (in my opinion)

Upvote 0
Please no flaming - it's a problem for some, and not for some others. But I think at this point there is enough evidence there is an issue affecting some percentage of units.

Just as another data point - here is a video I made. I basically put a wire in between the negative terminal on the phone and the battery, and then demonstrated the issue with the wire floating, and then with my finger touching the end of the wire (i.e. providing a solid ground). I showed this using the keyboard in landscape mode where the problem seems mainly limited to the left side.

I also tried simply attaching the wire to the negative terminal of a multi-meter I had, and it produced the same effect as seen in the video: essentially, when grounded, the touch screen works flawlessly for me, otherwise it has issues on the upper (potrait) / left (landscape) side.

I was going to submit this all to HTC and if I didn't hear anything back, then to the state's attorney general and better business bureau. Not trying to cause issues, but a response that they are looking in to it would suffice.

YouTube - Sprint Evo - Ground issue

Upvote 0
Please no flaming - it's a problem for some, and not for some others. But I think at this point there is enough evidence there is an issue affecting some percentage of units.

Just as another data point - here is a video I made. I basically put a wire in between the negative terminal on the phone and the battery, and then demonstrated the issue with the wire floating, and then with my finger touching the end of the wire (i.e. providing a solid ground). I showed this using the keyboard in landscape mode where the problem seems mainly limited to the left side.

I also tried simply attaching the wire to the negative terminal of a multi-meter I had, and it produced the same effect as seen in the video: essentially, when grounded, the touch screen works flawlessly for me, otherwise it has issues on the upper (potrait) / left (landscape) side.

I was going to submit this all to HTC and if I didn't hear anything back, then to the state's attorney general and better business bureau. Not trying to cause issues, but a response that they are looking in to it would suffice.

YouTube - Sprint Evo - Ground issue

I think that's a good approach. Someone tried explaining on another forum that this is "normal" for capacitive screens. I understand that there's an explanation for this behavior, but that doesn't mean that it's "normal". I don't see the iPhones with capacitive screens having this issue.

Upvote 0
Mine works flawlessly exept for this issue, just contacted Sprint about it and they said they will gladly replace it when they get them in stock again.

So mine is going back for this, what is the point of touch screen if its docked in your car and you need to do something navigation wise and it dont work?

I look at it like this, atleast I got one, just use it as a test mule.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones