• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Over 6 months later and we still have a bada$$ phone

Okay, that makes sense. It must be that it only needs to be named update.zip when you use it to install. Any other time it can be named something else so you can use the name update.zip to install the next item. Is that right?

Once you've applied whatever update.zip file be it a ROM, theme, kernel etc., you don't need it anymore. You can rename it something to hold onto, but it's not necessary. This is also another good reason to using Clockwork Recovery as opposed to SPR. With the former, you can apply whatever it is as long as it's a zip, never a need to rename.

Reactions: djkeller3
Upvote 0
Once you've applied whatever update.zip file be it a ROM, theme, kernel etc., you don't need it anymore. You can rename it something to hold onto, but it's not necessary. This is also another good reason to using Clockwork Recovery as opposed to SPR. With the former, you can apply whatever it is as long as it's a zip, never a need to rename.

Very interesting and helpful. Thank you!!

Upvote 0
interesting.. looks like, without rooting, I could do this and then do your Baseband Downgrade to .01P the EASY way!!! (update.zip) and see if that gets me back to the awesome signal I had before 2.1....

agreed?

installing SPRecovery would be rooting your Droid..... in the most basic sense..... so you could actually have lots of fun with this

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones