overclock speeds?

Last Updated:

1. talonpunk831

talonpunk831 Active Member This Topic's Starter

What overclock speed are u guys running and how is it?

Advertisement
  2. tatonka_Hero

tatonka_Hero Well-Known Member

I'm running 710 when the screen's on, and it seems pretty damn smooth and responsive to me

3. JB in AZ

JB in AZ VIP Member VIP Member

Ditto! 710 (max) 245 (min) with screen on. 480 (max) and 245 (min) screen off, using OC Widget from the market (free). Things seem to work well.

4. Joehunni

Joehunni Well-Known Member

710 has been regarded by most as the highest stable clock speed, and you really won't need more than that once you try it.

5. JB in AZ

The benefit to setting the sleep (or screen off) speeds down, of course, is battery savings...Just be sure not to set it too low, or the incoming phone call (ot text message) might be hard to answer, unitl the cpu sets the new clock speed for the screen on settings.

6. 330D

330D From My Cold Dead Hands VIP Member

^ this. It works flawlessly for me.
    Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

7. dmm5157

dmm5157 Well-Known Member

Yup, i'm using the new SetCPU widget and have mine running at 691/245 on demand and 480/245 screen off on-demand. I can't complain and don't see much speed difference when going to 768. The jump from stock (528) to 691 and over is amazing, though. And the battery difference is minimal if set up correctly, so it's definitely worth it.

8. Joehunni

I tried Zen but for me the updater wouldn't work, installations kept failing then leaving me in recovery menu. Also I hated how all the icons had ******ed looking boxes around them.

9. dmm5157

dmm5157 Well-Known Member

I had to disable signature required, i believe to get them to flash, but all mine worked fine. There is a zip to remove the boxes around icons. Read the zeb thread on XDA

10. lay6

lay6 Member

749 high
    19 low

defined frequencies every 3rd till 550 then every other one up to 750

no difference for screen off or on. I do a lot of streaming when the screen is off, so I need the HP.

I am running iced honey bun... It's amazing.

11. Syphon

Syphon Well-Known Member

Is the overclock speeds worth the decrease in battery life? I use Fresh 2.3.3 and its pretty snappy as it is minus a few slowdowns here and there....just don't want to OC and have my speed go up just a tad but have a dead phone all the time.

12. 305Cane

305Cane Well-Known Member

Im rooted with Fresh 2.3.3 and Overclock widget only has the settings up to 528 with screen on. am i missing something with setting it to 710?

13. beefytee

beefytee Active Member

yeah I can't get mine up past 528 either

14. cephraim

cephraim Well-Known Member

I'm running SetCPU and have:

Screen on: 710max, 245min (on demand)

Screen off: 245max, 19min (on demand)

Battery <40%: 556max, 245min (on demand)

I was concerned about the 19min screen off, but read that, as long as you have "on demand" set, it should respond quickly when you get a call or text while in sleep mode.

So far so good. I think! LOL.
    Anybody else using similar Screen Off settings?

Eph

15. 305Cane

i got mine to work, and i set it to 710, but it doesnt display more than 528.

you have to define the frequencies you want to use inside the widget. one you do that and save, you should be fine, but its still displayes 528 for me and not 710. Though 710 is a max and may not show up unless under load, i just want to be sure its done correctly.

16. beefytee

beefytee Active Member

Oh, ok I already did this. I didn't realize it wouldn't show more than 528 if it was running hotter than that.

17. 305Cane

well thats the thing. i dont know if it should show more than 528 even though it may be running 710. i was hoping for some clarification by the more experienced users.

18. JB in AZ

I'm running 2.3.3, with the OC widget, and mine shows the actual speed on the widget, be it 245 or 710. I can actually see it change, if I am quick when i wake the phone. I believe that you need to run the correct kernel, not just Setcpu or OC widget to get the higher speeds. I am using the 710 v4 kernel for Fres 2.3.3.

Here's a link -> [KERNEL][OC]FIXED FC on call WifiTether stop lockup, UNDERVOLTED - xda-developers

I see that there has been some revisons to the first post...I don't have time to read thru it now, but I have had no issues at all with this setup and kernel. Great battery life, as I have it set to slow down when it is sleeping.

19. Joehunni

Just download system panel, its shows your cpu clock speed and cpu usage in real time.

20. Joehunni

And yeah dont just try to overclock whatever just because your rooted, you need to be running a rom/kernel combo designed for it.

21. 305Cane

i figured it might need a kernel in combination. im wondering if it can still work within the current non kernel limits without issue till i get home and do everything right.

22. Traviswf

Traviswf Well-Known Member

Can you overclock with Fresh
    2.1.3?

What's a good link for over and under clicking the hero? I like the idea of better speed AND battery life...

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

23. JB in AZ

EDIT: 2.1.3??? Not sure about that one.... Here's what I see listed...Fresh 2.1.1/2.1.2/2.3.3

As I mentioned a few post up... http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=705074

Be SURE to nandroid backup before applying any new kernel. Be sure to install OC Widget or SetCPU so you can set the frequencies right. If you set them correctly, the "possible bug" comment shouldn't apply, AFAIK.

ADDED: Regarding the bug (from xda):..." incorrect settings in ramdisks that sometimes caused CPU to drop to 19mhz. Bug is present in all V4 kernels (use SETCPU/Oc widget and
    manually set the frequency in the V4 kernels to avoid this)

24. Joehunni

I when i'm overclocked, I use the overclock widget, its been tested as being more accurate than setcpu. Also, I dont bother setting a separate screen-off clock speed for 2 reasons. For one, if the screen is off and the phone is asleep its gonna be running a low clock speed anyways, so unless your phone is asleep most of the time due to you not using it much you arent gonna get any real battery savings by allowing it to sleep with a slightly lower clock speed. Reason number 2, when the screen first comes on, it has to ramp the cpu speed up into your separate screen-on bracket which takes cpu and battery to do. Also, this has been known to delay the reception of text messages and phone calls due to the extra cpu usage as the screen comes on, I have personally missed calls due to this. So I wouldnt set a separate screen-off clock speed speed, just set it for like 245 - 710 on demand.

25. JB in AZ

I have mine set at 710 (max) 245 (min) with screen on, 480 (max) and 245 (min) screen off, using OC Widget, and have not missed any texts or phone calls, and the screen wakes, and speeds-up just fine. At one point, I did have it set to a lower setting (screen off) and did experience some lag in waking up and being responsive. I don't remember what that setting was.

I'm not sure there is an "on demand" setting in OC Widget. Be sure to check the appropriate boxes when setting it up, or it won't work.

Different freq Screen off=ON
    Use your Frequencies=ON
    Auto start on Boot=ON
    Then SAVE

EDIT I have suppress notifications OFF and it notifies me when the clock speed change was succesful. I may turn this setting off after a few days of testing.