• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Overclocked? How High?

Frisco

=Luceat Lux Vestra=
Jan 19, 2010
androidforums.com
It's only been about three hours, but I've been running my Senseable 3.1 at 806/768 with no ill effects that I can see; nothing but speed and quickness all around the device's apps and menus.

Battery levels don't look any different from when it was running at the default 528.

Still testing, of course, but I have to admit I am startled at this because my first few tweaks on other ROMs would freeze the device when I attempted to go over the mid 700s.

I am of course wary, and will be watching, almost expecting something bad to happen down the line; we'll see.

What is the highest successful setting you have used or are using now?

The highest setting I get on a non-JIT ROM is 806mhz, I can run it at 825mhz for a time but the stability is not there, if the ROM has JIT max is 787mhz, phone becomes too unstable at 806.

Currently running Tazz Ultimate Elixir @767mhz rather then 806mhz (don't see the need)

no. JIT has nothing to due with OC speeds. thats all controled in the kernel, depending on what kernel you use it may only let you OC to 710, others like mine will allow you to get up to 864

most phones in general can only hold on up to 787. mine crashes instantly if i have it any higher. that has nothing to do with software, that part is hardware specific

Upvote 0
no. JIT has nothing to due with OC speeds. thats all controled in the kernel, depending on what kernel you use it may only let you OC to 710, others like mine will allow you to get up to 864

most phones in general can only hold on up to 787. mine crashes instantly if i have it any higher. that has nothing to do with software, that part is hardware specific

All I know that I have run many different ROM's without JIT at 806mhz all day long no problems. I put on a rom with JIT on it the thing will crash within 2 minutes at 806mhz (also tried this on multiple JIT ROM's).

I am currently running Damaged Tazz in which you can enable JIT and reboot the phone. Without JIT enabled on this ROM top is 806mhz stable, I try running it with JIT enabled @806mhz=crash. Can run this ROM JIT enabled all day @787mhz. I have run linpack scores on this rom without JIT enabled and with it enabled. Scores without JIT 3.3, with JIT 5.3, so I know its working.

Correct me if I am wrong but dosen't JIT cause instability issues and make a ROM more proan to crash.

Upvote 0
All I know that I have run many different ROM's without JIT at 806mhz all day long no problems. I put on a rom with JIT on it the thing will crash within 2 minutes at 806mhz (also tried this on multiple JIT ROM's).

I am currently running Damaged Tazz in which you can enable JIT and reboot the phone. Without JIT enabled on this ROM top is 806mhz stable, I try running it with JIT enabled @806mhz=crash. Can run this ROM JIT enabled all day @787mhz. I have run linpack scores on this rom without JIT enabled and with it enabled. Scores without JIT 3.3, with JIT 5.3, so I know its working.

Correct me if I am wrong but dosen't JIT cause instability issues and make a ROM more proan to crash.

Jit is unstable in general and doesnt actually do anything to speed the phone up-in my experience it causes even more lag-which is why i dont use it.

Upvote 0
What are you guys using for your min/max? I'm not hip to this stuff, is it wise to leave the min/max the same number? how far between the two do you go?

I will keep the min and max within 250mhz of each other if possible. I can OC up to 806mhz and be stable all day long however I don't really see the need current max and min:

729 max and 480min and I adjust both up accordingly.

Upvote 0
The min/max thing is interesting. I've seen posts at XDA bragging about 768/768 and then some saying they have to have 710/248 or they'll get crashes.. all on the Eris.

What andrizoid said up there about hardware specific maximums seems quite telling and reminds me of the one big factor I noticed wrt various common bugs reported in the forums: quality control at the manufacturing and assembly plants must be lacking for there to be such variation in device behavior on the very same model of phone.

And now we're seeing that variation show up in CPU tweaks.

Of course, the differences are minute when we look at 710 or 787 vs 806 or 864 (about 10%?), but we're talking micro-technology, which is an industry, not a guessing game.

Upvote 0
There was a thread on xda about the step in frequency between min and Max it said that the smaller the step the better performance you will get out of oc'ing, they said to keep it under a 250 MHz step for stability reasons. I've tested this with lynpack and I found it to be true, just like your mflops will always be higher on performance because there is no step.

Upvote 0
There was a thread on xda about the step in frequency between min and Max it said that the smaller the step the better performance you will get out of oc'ing, they said to keep it under a 250 MHz step for stability reasons. I've tested this with lynpack and I found it to be true, just like your mflops will always be higher on performance because there is no step.

I'm trying to understand what you mean. "..smaller the step the better performance.." meaning, say 710/648 would work better than 710/248?

Upvote 0
Personally I don't find the need to clock over 710. althought I can go up 806 no problems. Ivans on 614/710 seems to be the perfect combo. 160/245 sleep. Easily get 2-4 days out of a charge.

I haven't messed with the sleep settings.

Monitoring battery life..

That 614/710 is interesting; first time I've seen the max less than the min.. wondering if it's a typo.

Upvote 0
Personally I don't find the need to clock over 710. althought I can go up 806 no problems. Ivans on 614/710 seems to be the perfect combo. 160/245 sleep. Easily get 2-4 days out of a charge.

I used to run my phone up to 245 when sleep, but it seemed like it lagged like hell when you take it out of sleep. So i bumped it to 480/480 and haven't noticed any battery drain problems, and it wakes up nice and smooth.

Upvote 0
I used to run my phone up to 245 when sleep, but it seemed like it lagged like hell when you take it out of sleep. So i bumped it to 480/480 and haven't noticed any battery drain problems, and it wakes up nice and smooth.

I think I'm going to try bumping it up since you say no battery drain. Thanks for that. I do notice a little lag, but it didn't seem any different than before O/C. I just never opted to change it because I get such good battery life. I'm def gunna try that setting!

Edit: wow I just clocked it up to 480/480, and I def notice that there was a lag before, I guess I just got used to waiting a sec after coming out of sleep, to account for the change of 245/245 sleep to 710/614 normal, but if using the knowledge of what was said above, the closer the settings the better performance, it makes sense, as the clock is only going from my 480 sleep setting to 614/710 normal.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones