Overclocking, autokiller and still laggy

Last Updated:

1. Faqade

Faqade Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hi, I've been fiddling around with my Hero for a while and tried a few different things including Autokiller which is an alright program but didn't provide much noticable difference to the performance of my phone. I've just been fiddling around with overclocking aswell. The reason I decided to try overclocking was because I bought Snesoid and the games were really laggy even with the sound disabled, even on more basic games like super mario. I've tried overclocking to roughly 650, the 690 then 710 with not a lot of difference when using snesoid and with the phone in general tbh. I'm wondering if it's something else causing the phone to be laggy even after trying numerous things, could it be sense?

I've got systempanel lite aswell and it mainly shows these as the active apps:

HTC Sense 23.2M
    Messages - 8.2M
    People - 10.6M
    Swype 11.6M

And these as Inactive (Cached) Apps:

My Uploads - 7.9M
    Settings - 8.1M

Anyone got any ideas why it's still a bit laggy and very laggy with snesoid, I'm running VillainRom12 aswell btw.

Advertisement
  2. bluenova

bluenova OK Computer VIP Member

I can't comment about snesdroid but you said you noticed no difference in general when changing the max cpu speed. You should feel a noticeable difference between the default 528 and using 690 or even 652. Are you sure the settings are applied?

3. Faqade

I was using OverclockWidget but changed to SetCPU now and seems much better, not sure whether it was a problem with the program or something.

What is a good temperature for the CPU to be running at for it not to cause too much damage to the chip? At 528MHz the average temp. is 27 degrees and upping the speed to around 650MHz it's running at an average of 31 degrees, is this a fairly healthy temp.?

Ran Snesoid again and it seems to run better with the sound turned off and with SetCPU :)

4. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

That seems fine. 25-35 degrees is my normal temperature but I only turn it off at about 40 degrees (you can add a profile to setcpu that will turn it off at a certain temperature).

I once tried to teather the phone, whilst it was charging via USB, in a warm room. I won't be doing that again soon :p

5. Faqade

I installed Quadrant last night and looking in the system information on it, it says the following:

ARMv6-compatible processor rev 2 (v6I)
    Max freq.: 748.8MHz
    Min freq.: 19.2MHz

Are these max/min frequencies unique to each processor or are they the same for each CPU, and does this mean I could run around 720ish safely? Oh and for some reason it says I'm running VillainRom 9.0.0 :s It says I'm running VillainRom 9.0.0 in 'about phone' aswell, 100% sure I installed 12?

Thought I'd ask in here instead of making another thread.

6. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Those are the min/max frequencies recognised by the kernel, so are common to all devices running this ROM.

Perhaps.... or not. Only way to find out is try it. Mine will clock happily to 748Mhz but I haven't run it for any length of time at that. Otoh it exhibits problems coming out of standby at anything below 245Mhz.

The firmware is identified as VillainROM 9.0, a throwback to the dev's versioning I think, but it's definitely v12.

Faqade likes this.
  7. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

It's because it's the 9th ROM to use the VillainROM updater. For some reason they didn't/can't change that number when they skipped to villain 10.

The ROM/kernel can have a lot of influence on your max speed too, it would seem. Usually, even though the kernel allows up to 750ish my phone can only do 710. But then you get the odd ROM, like Froyd, that works with my phone on 730.