Overclocking ?? Hmm.?

Last Updated:

1. pacedrum69

pacedrum69 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have Evil Eris 3.0....and I have downloaded SetCPU....question is....how do I overclock my phone ( make it faster??)

What do i do once in Set CPU?:confused:

Advertisement
  2. cableguynoe

cableguynoe Well-Known Member

A safe setting is 710 max, 528 min.

Then do some research about setting profiles. I dont recommend trying to go too high. You can send your phone into a boot cycle.

headup221 likes this.
  3. pacedrum69

pacedrum69 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

How do I set it higher??

4. cableguynoe

Just slide it...
    oh... is 528 your max?

5. cableguynoe

6. chuck2530

chuck2530 Active Member

I'm newly rooted and was wondering how much difference does overclocking make

7. cableguynoe

You know.. I would probably compare it to, if you have an HDTV, changing out the component cables for HDMI.
    You might not actually notice a huge difference(in some cases), but you just know it's better.

If you're rooted, you must OC:D

chuck2530 likes this.
  8. droidkevlar

droidkevlar Well-Known Member

I beg to differ. You notice it when you run multiple apps. When I use BT, wifi and radio before OC, phone would lag like no other. After I OC'd to 806 (dont try this as most ppl phones cant handle this) I run those 3 plus RunKeeper and text and it slows down just a lil bit.

To each is their own but I can see the diff in speed. And my batt life is actually better too since I have it set to 480/240 in sleep mode.

chuck2530 likes this.
  9. cableguynoe

I agree with you :D

However, i meant it more towards the average user, possibly like Chuck wo was asking if it's necessary.

Most would just think their phone is running fine... but not actually notice a difference like us nerds who actually realize how much faster it is.

Kind of like when i added some mods to my car, new Magnaflow exhaust system, new intake, etc... and my wife says the car feels the same:eek:
    - sigh:(

10. LexusBrian400

LexusBrian400 Well-Known Member

The MOST IMPORTANT and yet, often overlooked part of SetCPU is the Failsafe Temperature setting. In Profiles, set it to 245/480 and temp to around 43 degrees C. It will prevent you from damaging your phone/cpu/battery. Make sure profiles are ON!! and set your "sleep" profile also, otherwise your cpu could stay running at full speed even whiles its asleep. I use 245/245 or 245/480 for my sleep profile.

CallsThunder and chuck2530 like this.
  11. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

LexusBrian400 (Brian?), I'm running Ivan's Eris Official 1.0 and its base setting is at 710 MHz / 19 Mhz.

I'm thinking that I want to / should set the failsafe temperature setting like you advised, but I'm happy with the ROM's default overclocking settings (i.e., I don't think I need to crank it up any higher, but I'm all for being safe).

Should I only enable/set the Failsafe profile? and maybe the sleep profile (will it save more battery than my default settings)? Not sure that 19 MHz is really what the phone sleeps at...can that be right?

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

12. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

open setcpu

main screen

set top slider to 710ish
    set bottom slider to 528ish

make sure "set on boot" checkbox is NOT ticked until you get everything set and after a few reboots.

"on demand" should be your daily settings, use "performance" from the dropdown when you are setting up your setcpu.

ondemand = if you dont need it it will automatically knock your cpu down to help battery and temp, when needed it cranks it to your top setting

performance = it is pegged at top setting

click profiles

tick the top profiles on box

enable sleep/stanby
    click modify
    set to 245/245

if you phone lags waking up then you can turn this up a bit to remedy that.

enable failsafe profile
    set temp to around 40-45c and set the cpu to 245/245

this is so you dont toast your phone....very important.

now that that is all set, if your ROM can overclock more then 710, slowly crank up the OC'ing (on main setcpu screen) and test your phone to see how high you can go without forcecloses/reboots/issues etc. once you find that point set it down a notch and you are good to go.

slane, danglen, paleodust and 5 others like this.
  13. chuck2530

chuck2530 Active Member

Lol at the wife comment I know how you feel

14. chuck2530

chuck2530 Active Member

Lol at the wife comment I know how you feel

15. scary alien

Caddyman, thanks for the info! Okay, so I enabled profiles, enabled sleep/standby at 245/245, enabled failsafe at 41-degrees and 245/245.

Doesn't look like Ivan's ROM goes higher than 710 (okay w/me for now), but I didn't change the minimum on the main screen from 19 MHz (i.e., to 528-ish).

Last question: so, not setting "set on boot" simply keeps these settings between boot cycles? Set-on-boot would be to keep me from having to reset the above values after each reboot?

Thanks again! Not quite as scary / fun as the initial root process, but a small thrill nonetheless :D Appreciate everyone's help!

16. cableguynoe

Scary is your middle name:D

scary alien likes this.
  17. droidkevlar

droidkevlar Well-Known Member

Correct on set on boot. And I would change main and any profiles that have min set to 19MHz. Can cause lock ups. just remember the lower you go, the slower the proc will go to. Some things may then lock up the phone in that MHz since it cannot handle it. I recommend 480 min for in use and 245 min for when in sleep.

But to each is their own. But those min's dont make my phone lag when waking up from sleep or any other use.

For sleep stand by, I would do 480/245. 245/245 I noticed will make phone lag when trying to answer calls or waking up.

18. scary alien

Thanks for the suggestions droidkevlar. I adjusted my 19 MHz main minimum to 245 Mhz (and I juiced-up my sleep to 480/245), although I have never seen an issue with this (its default 19 MHz) since I rooted in early May. :confused:

I did read the zanfur's overclocking page over at xda--wow! that guy is crazy smart!--in which he discussed the issues related to using/setting 19 MHz. This was part of the reason why I never thought that Ivan's ROM came with overclocking enabled--I didn't think that the settings (710/19) would actually work without modifying them.

I'll watch how everything feels (response time, battery life) since making the suggestions from LexusBrian400, Caddyman, and you, kind Sir! :D

Thanks again to everyone! We all appreciate and benefit from your feedback.

19. namu1107

namu1107 Well-Known Member

So apparently I can't use SetCPU... when ever I move the min bar or the max bar, the program freezes up on me... and I just bought it... errrr... Anyways, do you guys know of a fix, and if not, what other program can I use?

20. cableguynoe

Think you have to be rooted to use it.

Return it.... if it's within 24 hours....

21. JrzDroid

JrzDroid Well-Known Member

i have it set to 768 with the latest OC kernel, works quite smooth. I know most of the roms that people are running are using the last OC kernel. If you think your running the last kernel, chekc into upgrading. Make sure you NAND backup first, just download and flash on your current rom. Then jump into SetCPU and have at it.
    I did have my Eris running at 806 on WW3.2, the phone was damn fast

22. cableguynoe

He's on 2.1 OTA...
    Wont work.... right?

23. JrzDroid

who's on 2.1?
    it says Evil Eris 2.1

24. cableguynoe

NM... maybe we're taking about different peeps:rolleyes:

Thought you were talking to the latest post NAMU1107, his device say he's OTA....

25. JrzDroid

nope, the OP