Overclocking i7500 on GAOSP? SetCPU

Last Updated:

1. grcd

grcd Member This Topic's Starter

More questions coming from the new n00b in town.... thank you in advance for your help.

I am not a newbie in general, as I have been on the modding scene since 1996. But I am a complete beginner with Android and especially so with the i7500.

I have some experience with rooted kernels and preconfigured ROMs + SetCPU. I also have noticed that i7500 seems to share the same CPU with Huawei U8220 / T-Mobile Pulse. Here comes my question:

On U8220/Pulse, we can safely OC to 692 MHz and have a perfectly stable CPU under any stress test. Also most devices can go to around 710MHz without any problems either. Past that point, the system usually becomes unstable or fails stress tests.

Is the i7500 similarly capable of going up to 690-710 range without problems, or is another speed recommended (despite the same architecture and stock speed)?

I take it that SetCPU works on GAOSP -- but is the kernel OCd, or do we need to do this manually? If it is not OC'd, then can anyone post instructions on how to overclock above the stock/rated speed?

Advertisement
  2. weasel

weasel Well-Known Member

You can adjust the cpu right in GAOSP to either 614 or 710. Some have experienced stability issues @ 710. Set CPU also works just fine. I haven't tried it yet, but others have and seem to enjoy it. For quite a while ( even when I was on Galaxo ) I have been running at 614 with no problems.

3. Bomberman

Bomberman Well-Known Member

Mine ran lovely at 710 for months. I've knocked it back to 614 in an attempt to eke out more battery life.

4. grcd

grcd Member This Topic's Starter

Was it smooth with GAOSP at 710? I consider smooth anything that runs fine with minor to none slowdowns on changing pages/panels and exiting programs. A small delay opening programs is to be expected.

5. Bomberman

Bomberman Well-Known Member

Despite the amazing work by Drakaz, there's no ROM (official or not) that I would call 'smooth' o/ced or not. 80% of the time GAOSP is amazing, but the phone simply doesn't have the memory to keep it up. Usually it's fine, but periodically it'll just grind to a halt :(
    Still, utter butters compared to the officials :)

6. iwanman

iwanman Member

Can you help me! I have Samsung i7500 and i update it on 2.2.1.
    How to overclock it on 710MHz? What to do?

7. Lelouch

Lelouch Well-Known Member

Just tap on the letter which says max CPU frequency. Of course in GAOSP configuration 2.

8. iwanman

iwanman Member

thank you, I did it but I don't have on 614 I have on 624 and 720 (not 710).

9. Samtung

Samtung Member

710 with prior nightly was very stable

new nightly doesnt have that option you go with 720 (unstable) or 614 (no probblems very stable)

mflps 4.85

10. chronodekar

chronodekar Well-Known Member

I use setcpu and push it upto 710. Looks fine so far. (almost a week with GAOSP beta3)

-chronodekar

11. Lelouch

Lelouch Well-Known Member

You can go over 710 MHz just check on "Interactive cpufreq governor" ON.
    I'm on 672 MHz and I'm fine with it.

12. rickgauden

rickgauden New Member

What are the problems of doing overclock? Can it reduce the battery and processor life's?

13. weasel

weasel Well-Known Member

Every processor I have ever heard of generates more heat the faster it runs. If you don't get rid of the heat, it starts to act up. They can fail. The question is how long is it going to take ? No one knows for sure. My guess is you'll be wanting a new phone long before it fails. Overclock it until it starts misbehaving, then back it down a few notches and you'll be fine. I have been running at over 600mhz for about 6 months now and there are no signs of any problems.