overclocking makine phone run hot all of a sudden...

Last Updated:

1. JoeProcopio

JoeProcopio Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

i was fine running 7.1, then i updated that rom to 7.3, and since then any beast rom has made my battery temp run in the 104 range...going back to a beauty rom, it settles back down under 97and lower....what's that all about?

Advertisement
  2. Fadelight

Fadelight Well-Known Member

97 to 104 really isn't that much of a jump. Have you checked your settings in SetCPU to see what has changed?

3. JoeProcopio

it is definitely noticeable to the touch....no changes in setcpu, i installed beauty v8.4 that i had installed evilboot900 on last week or so, and it looks like battery temp is stable at 100.4....which isn't bad....i'm thinking of going back to beauty 8.7 and put on evil800 and see what happpens. i'm noticing a big battery drain when i'm OC'd, even if I set my settings low when idle (i listen to my music player almost 2 hours on the morning on my commute and with OC'ing, i get to work and i'm around 50-60% batt life, when not OC'ing, i'm at 80%, that's huge...the difference between making it through the day, and having to charge it at work resulting in 2 charges a day compared to 1 overnight...)

4. JoeProcopio

BTW, 8.4 with 900 OC is now down to 98 when idle which is good...

5. Fadelight

Fadelight Well-Known Member

Ok, well that one is fairly simple... you don't have to change your rom or core to fix it. Just lower the settings in SetCPU down to 800.

6. JoeProcopio

thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to update from 8.6 to 8.6, since beauty roms have been much more stable for me, beast FCs everything....then i'll throw one of the evilboots on there and see if that works....i like the snappiness i get with the OC...if i can find a middle compromise between speed and battery life...(aren't we all looking for that, lol)

7. meekrab

meekrab Well-Known Member

With SetCPU runnning between 800 and 1000, I've noticed, if anything, a change for the better in my battery life. SetCPU throttles the processor up and down really well.

8. emdmao

emdmao Well-Known Member

My battery life has also gotten better with setcpu. what are your settings?

9. brocja01

brocja01 Well-Known Member

I installed the newest version of Beast on my Droid yesterday after the release. I had been running Beauty 8.6 with no problems, but really wanted to try Beast @800. I booted up for the first time, got google account created, and my two exchange accounts and the phone was already hot to the touch. Towards the top of the battery door (which I would assume is where the CPU is?) No one had really mentioned that much of a temp difference, so I thought, what the hell, but it was hot enough that I didn't want to hold onto my phone. Any ideas?

FYI: I went back to my Back up of my 8.6 rom, which I love, was just hoping to have it OC'd.

10. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

Uh, your phone was hot because it was pulling all your data off the servers. If you were to do a factory reset, even at 550, your phone would heat up in the same situation.

Anyways, I'm not calling anybody a liar, but overclocking your CPU to 800MHz will not result in any significant heat production over 550.

People just don't seem to take into consideration the OTHER components in the device that also produce heat (more so than the CPU, in fact).

11. brocja01

brocja01 Well-Known Member

Fair enough, was just wondering, hence the question.. I might try and do it again at some point. I have been doing the Nandroid updates with Beauty that last 3 releases, and never had that kind of heat. But, I might just try and beast again.

12. JoeProcopio

mine was averaging 104 when it normally averaged below 97 with other beast roms...this was after it was sitting a few minutes, not right upon boot...and NON of the other beast builds i used acted that way prior to the last upgrade i did, restoring beauty cooled the phone down IMMEDIATELY...without shutting the phone down except for the time it took to restore....

my solution was to go with Beauty 8.7 from an update from 8.6, install evilboot800 via nandroid BU (boot only), and temp is around 100 while browsing with screen at 25%, never got anywhere near 104, and as low as 86 while not in use...then i installed wireless tethering, so i'm almost beast-like, lol.

not to mention battery life is significantly better at 800 than at 900 while on my commute, saving 10% on my almost 2hours of straight music listening and browsing on the train...speed wise, i don't see much difference between 800 and 900, at least it's not noticeable in real world use.

I know everyone's phone is different, this is my experience YMMV

13. xliderider

xliderider Well-Known Member

AdamZ's Smoked Glass 4.1 runs cooler, for me, than BB. I run Smoked Glass at 950mhz at the same or lower temps than BB runs at 800mhz. The only time smoked glass runs over 100F at 950mhz on my Droid is when I am browsing graphic rich websites and am scrolling around a lot (lots of graphics processing) and or I am charging the battery and web surfing. I have knocked my charging profile down to 800mhz/250mhz for this reason.

14. edge

edge Well-Known Member

At what temp does it start to damage hardware? And are their fail safes. Example... Intel chips throttle down if they get to hot. AMD chips shut off... Is there anything in these roms to do that?

15. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

Your battery shouldn't go above 60C. As for the CPU itself, Tas found the TI spec sheet that said over 100C, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

SetCPU has a failsafe for battery temp that can be used to downclock if you want.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

16. iamloco724

iamloco724 Well-Known Member

is it ok to keep the charging profile on 800 because i use the phone while its charging at night..but i know even without root and overclockign the phone tends to get hot when charging and being used..so whats the recommendation on this

keep it at stock speed while charging no matter what or i can put at 800 for use while charging

17. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

I have mine at 550 when charging but you could try 800 and just watch the temps. To thhe guy who was having a temp change from 104-97 from one ROM to the other, something is wrong with that and it isn't the OC. Unless your phone's CPU is just way WAY weaker then most everyone elses you shouldn't see that sort of difference. My temp is barely any higher at 1ghz then it was at 550mhz, and now with SetCPU and profiles setup I get better battery life then I did with stock. I stream Pandora for just over 3 hours every day of the week along with gtalk, texting, gmail, browsing, a lot of calls over bluetooth and some other miscellaneous usage, my battery is at 10-20% by 9PM (I take it off the charger at 5:30AM). When your streaming do you keep the screen on? What is your brightness set to or do you have auto brightness? Those things will have a huge effect on your battery and temp. I rarely get above 45C, and that requires heavy usage (streaming Pandora over bluetooth in my car AND using Navigation all at once).

18. JoeProcopio

Can't explain it...but beauty with taz's 1.1ghz kernel runs great...beast not so much...go figure. Only issue aside from some FCs sometimes is the lag in the milestone browser in text fields...temp isn't a problem with this setup.

19. SpraynardKrueger

SpraynardKrueger Member

Running at only 800 and was in google maps for about 10 minutes, probably a little less, and when i exited i noticed my temp was at 109F. Does that sound normal? Using the sholes rom and running the 2.1 feature set maybe that's the answer.

20. jackburnt

jackburnt Well-Known Member

What temp checker are you all using? Is there one with an alarm? I just rooted/installed Bugless Beast and want to keep an eye on it at first.

My battery is at 35c and I'm downloading/installing all my apps. So that seems fairly solid.

21. JoeProcopio

tempmonitor.....have to have a kernel that allows proc temp readings, if not, it only reads temp on battery.

beauty with taz's 1.1ghz kernel works great. i don't know why the beast roms were scorching my droid, maybe updates were messing things up, went to the beauty nandroid BUs, and added the OC kernel, seems to be not going over 100ish when using phone, music/browsing...screen on 25-50% depending on surroundings