overclocking max

Last Updated:

1. VanDums

VanDums Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

When it comes to overclocking is it strictly a hardware thing with these phones? I see a lot of threads where people are clocked at 768 or up to 806 with no issues. I can't go over 710 without issues. Even at 729 I start to get random force closes and at 748 it completely craps out. I'm fine with 710 if that is how far I can go, but I was wondering if this is a normal thing? I know some hardware is better than others, I am a hardware technician, but that much better?

Advertisement
  2. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

It appears that way; some people get that fast, rare people's phones are unstable even at 710. I've never pushed the envelope, actually; I'm fine with 710, and really with 608.

3. IzelTokatl

IzelTokatl Well-Known Member

710 is the stable zone for the eris CPU, all cpu's have an average safe zone (highest clock setting). This is why manufacturers clock all CPU's to a set number, but hackers and tweakers can always push up the speed to variable settings. Depending on where the chip came out on the waffer gives you its ability (super basic) to push its limits. This gives some chips the strength to go well beyond the safe zone (on the eris 710 the limit is in the 800's) each phone will be subtly different. I can go 729, anything beyond that and mine locks up. Someone else will say 860 will be there lockup point etc.

The max for this chip set anyone has gotten to is 864,000 beyond that no eris chip has been able to hit higher. unless someone else has seen it.

4. crandroid

crandroid Well-Known Member

I think it should also be mentioned that there is a "safety" issue when clocking to high frequencies. 710 is stable in that there don't seem to be many problems that are normally associated with high OCing (random reboots, lockups, etc), but it also seems to be better for the life of your phone. I've heard a couple stories of people who fried their CPUs when running at 800+, and even 768, for a long time - even when these frequencies were stable during normal use.

5. VanDums

VanDums Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I got my first high temperature waring yesterday while I was using the Youtube app. Never came close before that, but Youtube really makes it work I guess. I'm at 710 so if it was any higher it probably would have fried. I need to turn on the audible warning I guess because Youtube takes up the whole screen so I didn't even know it was getting so hot until I shut down the app.

6. copestag

copestag Well-Known Member

although its possible to fry your CPU..... anything is possible........ but the probability is that a unicorn would steal your phone first.........

the reason I say this is because of the temperature ratings............. you will fry your battery LONG before you could ever get hot enough to fry your CPU

however, as mentioned above, prolonged use at a higher freq will shorten the lifespan of the CPU....... as this is how any electronic device works..... so instead of your CPU lasting 5 years........ its likely it will only last 4 if overclocked too high

bottom line....... unless you were hoping to retire with this phone......... its most likely ok to run at whatever speed is stable for you

hamsterhonda likes this.
  7. Nabraham

Nabraham Well-Known Member

Apparently i'm doing something wrong. When i go into SetCPU the slider max is only 528mhz. Am i not doing something right?

8. WormDoes

WormDoes Well-Known Member

Are you rooted? Did you the 1 click and root but not choose a custom ROM? If you are rooted but NOT using a custom ROM you'll have to d/l and flash an OC kernel. Zanfur is a popular one but there are also new ones you could try. I would suggest d/ling Zanfur kernel. Go to xda or search this site for "Zanfur OC Kernel" then place it on the root of your SD card, flash it and reboot. Once you've done this you can go to the market and D/L setCPU or overclocking widget and OC to desired speed. setCPU isn't a free app but if you do some searching (the same way you did for the OC Kernel) you can find a free version ;)

Hope this has helped, if it hasn't, feel free to ask any more questions you may still have. Good luck

9. copestag

hit Menu > Device Selection > scroll down and click Autodetect

10. Outlaw.99

Outlaw.99 Well-Known Member

Not sure why I found this so amusing first thing in the morning... heh...Anyways, mine seems stable at 710 and I mostly just text and wanted speed between screens...

11. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

jrzDroid fried his phone in something like one week. I believe he was running at 806.

The thermal design requirements for cell phones are fairly severe, as air flow cooling techniques cannot be used. Moreover, the thermal path between the processor and battery is quite poor in phones with removable batteries because there is an air gap.

If the battery is hot, the CPU (or radio or RF PA) is hella-hot.

12. greenmunky

greenmunky Well-Known Member

After running my phone at 768 max 528 min while awake for 3 months I started experiencing a LOT of random reboots at really annoying times (and even while it was in my pocket/holster). I'm now clocked 710 max 245 min and so far so good.

13. tr11

tr11 Well-Known Member

What are everybody's profile settings set to in SetCPU? Just want to know what the best one's seem to be.

14. golfbiz

golfbiz Well-Known Member

710/245...working great..

15. harmor

harmor Active Member

604/245.
    Why 604? Because that's good enough for me.
    Sometimes I bump it up to to 710 to play emulators if they are sluggish.

16. ErisDroid?

ErisDroid? Well-Known Member

I used to run my phone at 768, but found little difference between that and 710, so I left it in the Dev's hands. If there ROM is OC'd at 710, I leave it. I do run SetCPU just to watch my temp, but rarely go and adjust the speed beyond that.

17. mykevin81

mykevin81 Member

For me! im running at 768 and it is actually extremely stable!!!
    but it just crash when i go 800+!!!
    wonder if there is anyway to get over that!!
    anyway! i dont think frying the cpu will be that easy!! :-D

18. copestag

no frying the CPU on one of these phones is not easy.... in fact its nearly impossible...... since the battery will fry long before the cpu will...... however.... running at extremely high temps constantly, as with any electronic device, will shorten the lifespan of the CPU by a little