overclocking = no battery!

Last Updated:

1. DroidJnkie

DroidJnkie Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I unplugged my phone from the wall charger at 6:30 am this morning. It is now 1:00pm and my battery is at 20%!!!

It says that the display has used 33% and the android system has used 24%.

For some reason it says that the calendar has used 14%, and I barely looked at it today.

I installed bugless beast 7.5 last night, set the overclock to 800, and charged it up.

Today, when my battery dipped to 40%, I went to setCPU and set the speed back down to 550. Still, now it's at 20%.

What the fudge, man?! :mad:

Advertisement
  2. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

Are you using profiles? You should set your phone to low clock speeds in sleep/standby, where it spends the majority of its time.

With that feature, many users are actually seeing an increase in battery life, even at 1GHz.

elvis_marmaduke likes this.
  3. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

That's odd. You don't have it at max speed all the time, do you?

I second the above post. My battery life actually feels better since I installed BB and used the profiles.

4. meekrab

meekrab Well-Known Member

Likewise. What are your profile settings/cpu governor setting?

A good way to monitor running clock speed easily is overclock widget, you can set it to update at a lot of different time intervals and it works pretty well.

5. DroidJnkie

thanks guys. I only had the failsafe profile switched on, to where it slows down to 550 if temps get above 38 degrees.

I did the modifications to go back down to 550 during sleep, 250 during charge, 800 during power up.

Hopefully it will help.

Thanks again! :)

6. DroidJnkie

that's weird. When I made the modifications, I rebooted and now my battery has gone up to 40% from 20%. Green again, and no longer yellow.

Strange!

7. meekrab

meekrab Well-Known Member

I've noticed some inconsistency with the battery charge reading after rebooting in the past. Mine sometimes lands at 50% after being around 30 or 40.

Good luck, I hope those profiles work for you

8. darrin2520

darrin2520 Well-Known Member

With properly set profiles you should actually be able to get more out of your battery in most cases. However, keep in mind that if you use your phone a lot, that it is having to draw that much more power under full load. One thing I have noted is that games will heat the unit up pretty quickly as well as draw heavily on the battery because they run at max. cpu frequency.