• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Overclocking on FroydVillain

Karum

Mar 28, 2010
So I'm running FroydVillain 1.2.1 and want to look into overclocking my Hero.

I've read the sticky Xyro posted on overclocking but am still a little unsure, not of how to follow the process but whether or not following it is correct for my setup.

What I mean is that I'm not sure what speed etc. the ROM I am running supports (if at all), couldn't really find the info on the Wiki page for FV.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

When you flashed the rom, did you flash a kernel afterwards? Speaking of which, Did you read the release notes?

Excerpt:"This ROM does NOT come with the optimal kernel installed. It comes with a safe one. You NEED to read the section "kernels" below for more information about these, and which to choose Then, once installed, open the app "CPUSpeed" and set up your CPU speeds. This ROM uses the interactive governor, which gives much better battery than other governors... So, set interactive as the main governor, then set your minimum and maximum."

So.....you need to flash an optimal kernel if you want to overclock. Look under Kernels in the first post:here

choose the one you want, then reboot into recovery, and flash it .then reboot.

Then look at 'cpuspeed' ,which is in your applications, and set your speeds.
Also, keep an eye out for some ota updates( via the villainrom updater,find in applications) which will most likely become available tomorrow.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
You're right, the Froyd overclocking process is a little different. I should add it to the guide.

But until then:

The speeds you can use are determined by the kernel. And like Stoney said, the rom comes with a default 'safe' kernel. So you must pick one of the overclocking kernels to install on your phone. But how do you know which one to use? Well, experimentation is the only real way. Like I said in my guide, the speeds heroes can handle varies. If you haven't had previous experience with overclocking you won't know which speeds your processor likes, so you're just going to have to try some out. The way villain have done this does make it much more inconvenient to try out speeds on your phone than before, since you have to flash new kernels every time.

But to narrow it down: Every phone seems capable of 690MHz, 720 and 760 will only work if you're one of the lucky ones. Same goes for the underclocking speed, everyone can do 350MHz, but not everyone's phone can go lower.

So 350 - 690MHz is a good choice if you don't want to mess around trying out kernels.

Then set it up as
Screen on: Min: 354 Max: 690
Screen off: Min: 354 Max: 354
Governor: Interactive

Obviously if you're using a more extreme kernel you'll want to set your screen on max even higher and your screen off settings even lower.

And always do a dalvik-cache wipe when switching kernels :) And no, you wont permanently damage your phone by using a kernel that's too extreme.

I know in my guide I recommended having screen on min and max both at the highest value, but thanks to the interactive governor this isn't necessary any more.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones