Overclocking question

Last Updated:

1. xene97

xene97 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I finally bit the bullet and rooted my phone yesterday. Installed SetCPU and configured the normal setting for 710/528.

Now my question is, is there any way to change the settings on the fly (or switch to a different profile)? If I'm doing something like reading an e-book which definitely isn't processor intensive is there a quick way to lower the settings to save on battery or do I just manually change the settings myself?

Advertisement
  2. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

xene97,

I actually use an older version of setCPU, so I don't know if the newer one supports multiple profile "personalities" (I like that idea, by the way).

You can, of course, change things on-the-fly, but it would be cool to have ways to switch between overclocking "themes" or profile-sets. Try looking and/or posting in this thread, its where we direct a lot of folks with overclocking questions:

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/98457-overclocking-hmm.html?highlight=overclocking+hmm

Cheers!

3. gospodinwizard

gospodinwizard Well-Known Member

I have a newer version of setCPU and yes it syupports multiple profiles. It's just that the profiles are on a different tab of the app's layout. As to multiple sets of profile I don't think so but you can assign priorities to given profiles.

scary alien likes this.
  4. xene97

Thanks for the quick reply scary alien & gospodinwizard.

I did read that thread - that's where I got my settings from. I setup different profiles for when the phone is asleep, failsafe, etc. but I can't seem to find how to switch to one of those profiles.

5. gospodinwizard

gospodinwizard Well-Known Member

OK here's the deal. After you "Enable Profiles", setCPU is intended to automatically switch to a profile based on the parameters you assign such as "Battery > 50 degrees" or "Charging" or "Battery<15%". The addition of the ability to add priority allow the app to chose which profile is more important if two profiles had their parameters met. For example, it is certainly possible that "Battery > 50 degrees" and "Battery<15%" could both be true statements at the same time.

6. xene97

So in other words I can't just switch to one of those other profiles since they are triggered by certain conditions?

Looks like I'll just slide the slider for those times I read a book.

7. scary alien

xene97,

One thing to keep in mind, if you are using "On-demand" (which most folks other than gamers use), having o/c enabled at a high speed won't be too much of an issue since it should really only ramp the CPU up when it sees its CPU bound (i.e., more CPU cycles are needed (hence, "on-demand")).

Reading a book (Kindle app, etc.) should not tax the CPU much anyway, so you probably don't have a need to switch to a "reading profile" even if you could. Its probably more effort than is warranted / necessary.

At least that's how I envision how things work...:)

8. xene97

Do you think I could change the min setting of 528 to something lower? I remember reading somewhere that there should not be too large a spread between the max & min settings. Lowering the min to around 480 would be nice.

9. scary alien

Sure, in fact, if you read Zanfur's thread about his o/c patch:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=679102 -- (this is a very interesting thread)

he talks exactly about setting to 480MHz since its actually uses a lower voltage (and saves more battery). Here's Zanfur's settings (at the time he wrote them, of course):

A number of people have asked what my SetCPU profiles look like. They look like this:

Default: 480/768 (I have it clock down to 480 instead of 528 because 480 actually uses a lower voltage.)
    Standby: 160/245 (I like battery life. It takes a while to show me who's calling, though, when it rings while in standby.)
    Failsafe: 40C/245/245 (40 degrees is probably too hot. I want to stop it before it melts, which would be around 50 degrees.)

I've also heard the thing about the "jump" / difference. There's stuff in the thread about jumps of more than 256MHz causing the phone to actually not overclock (and possibly become unstable), but I'll let you read and make up your own mind. ;)

xene97 likes this.
  10. xene97

Thanks for the info. I'll play around with my settings.