Overclocking question

Last Updated:

1. ChotoBoy

ChotoBoy Active Member This Topic's Starter

Ok so the droid can be overclocked over twice the factory settings to 1.3 ghz. I was wondering why the nexus one cannot be overclocked to 2 ghz. Im sure there is some technical explination for this but I have no clue. I would think that it could at least go to 1.5 ghz, but the highest ive seen is 1.1 which is lower than the droid why is that guys?

Advertisement
  2. droidpcguru

droidpcguru Well-Known Member

There is no "easy" explanation for this. The Omap 3430 processor in the Droid is simply more robust than the Snapdragon. The same falls true for many PC processors.. some can be pushed more than others, some not at all. Most likely, the manufacturing specifications for the Omap are "stricter" than those for the Snapdragon. There is also the fact that the processors are similar in size, and only so many silicon transistors can be packed into such a space, so since the transistors in the Snapdragon are smaller(though more numerous), they cannot be pushed as hard as the larger ones in the Omap.

EDIT: The Omap in our Droids is also spec'd to run at faster clock speeds than 550MHz, actually 600MHz by TI, but is set to 550MHz by Motorola for better battery life for the most part. TI also states that the Omap 3430 can be pushed higher with efficiency loss. The Snapdragon is most likely running at near it's top capacity right out of the box, resulting in less ability to "overclock".

I could have worded this better I'm sure, but hopefully it gets the point across:)

3. ChotoBoy

ChotoBoy Active Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks. Yea makes sense. So the droid is simply a bad ass phone for rooters. Thats what i got out of that explanation.

4. Rodeojones

Rodeojones Well-Known Member

Couldn't have said it better myself. :D

5. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

My respect for the Snapdragon platform has decreased immensely.

I had my buddy download the 'Benchmark' app from the market. I pitted the Droid against his Incredible at 1GHz each, and beat him handily in every category, the most lopsided being CPU.

I then ran it again at 1.2GHz to rub it in.

If only the Droid had 512MB of RAM, it would be unstoppable.

6. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

How much would that help us though? I don't think most of us use what we have already.

7. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

Most of the lag on the Droid stems from lack of RAM. That's why live wallpapers don't run very well, and Motorola took out the 3D launcher and extra homescreens.

With more RAM, they would run much more smoothly, even at stock clockspeeds.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk