• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Overclocking vs battery usage

nedamdam

Android Enthusiast
Feb 21, 2010
Slovakia
Soo running the froydvillain 1.4.4 tried different kernels. Would ask this on their IRC channel but I think they would lynch me :p

The max stable I get is 748 was running it for like 10 mins :p (768 wont boot)

Was running mostly 691 and now 614 . But dont know what will the difference in power consumption be. For example when playing with the phone and it will have to go to the 691 will it hold a lot less? Or its just a minor difference?

Thanks for any answer.

I don't exactly have a yes or no answer here, sorry :p

The conventional wisdom used to be that you could overclock when the screen was on, underclock when it was off and the phone is sleeping. With that setup you'd usually end up with a longer lasting battery than someone who didn't do either.

But, as you may have noticed, the Villain team removed the option for underclocking when the screen is off. Their reasoning being that their overclocking set up was good enough that underclocking wasn't necessary. And to their credit, I haven't noticed a drop in battery life since then.

I have mine set up for 125-690 using the interactive governor (that's the key, apparently. When the screen's on it is usually at 690, so I presume it spends a lot of time at lower speeds when the screen is off.

Short answer: Just give it a try, see how it goes :D

Upvote 0
Interactive? Me using the ondemand one it goes down to the 123 if not needed.

Their forums dont work properly and cant kinda search fine. As I mentionend setcpu on the IRC :p i got a big lecture :p Am now afraid of asking about the difference :p and had to reset the battery too :D

Tried if I see any difference in games (raging thunder 2) and between the 614 and 691 no difference. Between the speeds of the launcher also nothing

I noticed a nice speed increase in the home when using 748 but as I wanted to download the game it rebooted before I got it. Have problems with market :(

Btw is your app drawer lagging strangely too? I had to use the 3D drawer option to fix that. Dunno why normally on scrolling it lags...

Upvote 0
Performance and ondemand are governors that have always been there, interactive is one that Villain created/brought in on one of their froyd releases. It supposedly works much better than ondemand because it can react instantly to increased demand, where as the ondemand one can't (ironically). It does seem to work, as I can set my settings to 124-690 without noticing any lag when the processor jumps between speeds, which I couldn't do with ondemand.

Which overclocking app are you using? The interactive one may only be available in the CPUSpeed app they built into froyd.

Reactions: nedamdam
Upvote 0
Which overclocking app are you using? The interactive one may only be available in the CPUSpeed app they built into froyd.

They made me to unistall setcpu :( so only cpuspeed . btw even setcpu had it the interactive one I guess. But I got almost always on this kernel the violet screen when waking up so I had to get rid of setcpu.

Man, if I knew what can froyd doo sooner, 20 € would be saved on useless or redundant apps...

Didnt know what interactive means thats why I asked :) . Soo will use it :D

Uf after 20 mins 3 percent down of battery... (was on demand) will try the interactive and thanks for the tip.

Btw the appdrawer lags still. Well not lagging, but strangely cutting... dunno how to explain it better. In 3D its ok

One thing though. It kinda feels colder on 691 as on 614. Maybe am imaging it :)

Upvote 0
Launcher Pro can do it's own backup/restore of settings, which is pretty handy for switching between the frequent updates of froyd.

It might only be in the donate version of LPro though, I'm not sure.

But yeah, nandroid backups are always useful. You can mess around without fear of buggering it up :D (Which I have done quite a few times).

Upvote 0
I have the plus (donate) version from day one since I used it :) on the stock 2.1 .

And why didnt I save it like that :p see I am getting used too much to nandroid.

Btw flashing between the kernels I wont have any garbage on the android right? Since I didnt go back to my nandroid backup I always flashed one kernel over the other.

To laucherpro, I always have a "force close" and "wait" on boot (wait helps)

And I have it set to 5 columns in the app drawer. When set to 4 the cutting lagging or whatever it is, its not so much to see but still there...

Reseting settings didnt help :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones