overclocking

Last Updated:

1. zachjen

zachjen Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am new to rooting. Lurking for months and pulled the trigger today. Need help on overclocking. I installed the ChevyNo1-1.0Ghz-ulowV-7slot-update.zip kernel. Now I installed SetCPU and need help with the settings. Min/Max, Scaling, Set to Boot, profiles??!!:confused: Any suggestions on how to set it up?

Advertisement
  2. digdug1

digdug1 Well-Known Member

keeping the min setting in set cpu to the minimum the kernal will allow will extend your battery life, but will give you a slow wake speed as it will take a second or so to ramp up to the max setting. i keep my minimum to 400 because of this. also keeping your main setcpu setting to "ondemand" will extend battery life. it is what 95% of users do.
    i only use two profiles: screen off- i keep this to the minimum the kernal will allow and also the temp profile- i turn the kernal speed down to around 800mhz when it gets to 50 degrees celcius. this is just my .02 hope it helps.

glitch32 and Robalo like this.
  3. zachjen

zachjen Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

It does help. That's exactly the kind of info I am looking for. 3 other questions. you mentioned the Temp profile. The Temp or CPU Temp? Also what about the priority for each profile. If I have one set to 100 and one set to 99 does that mean that the one set at 100 will supercede the 99 one? What is Set on Boot option? When checked does it mean no changes will take affect until the phone is rebooted? When unchecked changes take affect immediatly?

Robalo likes this.
  4. digdug1

digdug1 Well-Known Member

#1- both temp and cpu temp profiles.

#2since these profiles really addres, different issues i dont think the priority level matters all that much.

#3-yes the highest profile spercedes the lower one.

#4 set to boot option means that your settings will take effect every time you reboot your phone, so you shouldnt have to reset it every time. that said, i would check this after your first reboot to make sure.

#5yes changes will take effect imediately reguardless of if you check set on boot.

Robalo and zachjen like this.
  5. wags1992

wags1992 Well-Known Member

To clarify the priority level a little bit more. Say you set different speeds for different battery points. For example I have mine set at batt charge<100% then one at 50% and one at 30% Well if I have the 100% priority level high than the other two then when the battery level gets below 50% it will actually stay at the same setting as the <100% because the priority level. So the high the percentage of battery the lower the priority. I hope that makes sense.

Robalo likes this.
  6. Robalo

Robalo New Member

I am too new to Rooting, just got my Droid 1 on Thursday. Thank u all this is very informative!!

7. ihaveadroid

ihaveadroid Well-Known Member

so if i was using chevy no 1 ss 4.7 and his 1.2 ultra low voltage kernel, what settings should i put on for setcpu...sorry im a NEWB HERE

8. wags1992

wags1992 Well-Known Member

Just play around with it. But make sure that set on boot is unchecked this will allow you to play around with the settings and if it makes it reboot you can change the settings again when it boots up. Some phones don't like some speeds. For example if I set my phone to 1100 on the kernel I have now my phone will just keep rebooting, but its fine at 1000. If you guys have any other questions I respond better to PM's I will do my best to answer all your questions, but I m not an expert by any means. My advice is just play around with the setcpu until you like the settings and the phone operates well. here is a line of a post about the settings. read up on this and that should help you out

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid/135544-setcpu-settings.html

ihaveadroid likes this.