Overheat from car chargerSupport

Last Updated:

1. abe.froman

abe.froman New Member This Topic's Starter

Before getting my Incredible, I had an LG Dare. Both phones use a micro USB cord for charging. While driving I needed to charge the Inc, but only had the Dare car charger available. When I got home, the Inc was extremely hot and shut itself down. After letting it cool down, it turned on, but the battery level was too low (right after charging with the car charger) and it shut back down. Charging with the Inc wall charger returned the phone to operating status with no apparent damage (haven't noticed a hit to the already short battery life).

Is there any difference between micro USB chargers that would cause this to happen? The Inc charger doesn't create any noticeable heat during charging.

Advertisement
  2. BetterMost

BetterMost Banned

I'm not an expert but there really should not be. I'm using a universal car charger I got at Wal-Mart and it seems to be working fine. However once when I plugged the phone in I did notice it heat up almost instantly like a heating element but it still charged and didn't ever shut off. Some chargers might have a proprietary chip in them for the phone it came with or the phone it was made for regardless of the plug type. I did read somewhere that the cell phone industry has agreed to make mini USB the industry standard by 2011 so all phones could share the same cords etc.

3. Liquoredolce

Liquoredolce Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting, I still have a few chargers from my Dare and have only used them once without issue, but after this I doubt I will be attempting that again.

4. jwinstonc

jwinstonc Well-Known Member

I have the same LG Dare chargers and have used them without issue several times with the Incredible. Verizon's website actually recommends the same universal Verizon micro-USB car charger for use with the Incredible as the Dare. If you're using the Verizon branded micro-USB car charger you should be fine. May be a problem with your phone.

5. kyler13

kyler13 Well-Known Member

Is it a brand name charger or just a generic one you were using with your Dare? Trickle chargers are a dime a dozen, but are slow (kinda like USB). Rapid/smart chargers actually provide high current initially and are supposed to taper off to a trickle as the capacity nears full. This is done via a chip, and maybe that has gone south in your charger. I'm using an aftermarket 1000mA USB smart/rapid charger that works just fine. I haven't noticed any overheating issues.

6. abe.froman

abe.froman New Member This Topic's Starter

My understanding was similar to BetterMost. I had no hesitation to use the Dare car charger because I thought all micro usb chargers were the same (I was actually excited that I already extra chargers).

The charger was actually a generic Verizon micro usb car charger and according to the website, it is in fact compatible with the Inc. Maybe I need to test this again (closely monitored).

7. ex-beantowner

ex-beantowner New Member

I had a similar experience except I ordered the Verizon AC power charger for my office. It is a generic device that said it was for the Inc. My brand new Inc heated up - back and the front screen. The light on the phone indicated it was charging. But when I pulled it off the charge wasn't there. I was in a meeting and within an hour the phone started beeping that it needed a charge. Before long it was dead. I put it on the original charge and all is fine (I think).

I am not crazy about the overall battery life. The suggestions about turning off all kinds of features, lower the brightness of the screen, limit the time you use it, etc to conserve the battery life are crazy! What's the point of having it??

8. Luvthedrew

Luvthedrew Well-Known Member

Same issue here, I have a "universal" charger that I used for my Storm. The Inc hasn't shut down and has held the charge as far as I can tell however the phone does get hot! I can't go without the car charger though since I only get about 5 hours out of a charge (with minimal use I might add).