• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Overheating issues since ICS update?

StaggerLee

May 10, 2010
CA
Anyone else's Rezound overheating since the update? Never had a problem before and now I'm reaching 105-110 degrees after a 10 minutes of normal use.
I had a Mugen Power battery in yesterday and thought that might be it so I did a factory reset and swapped with the stock battery. Having same issue with stock. Anyone else?
How hot is too hot? I don't recall ever exceeding 100 degrees before the update or it ever feeling hot. Now, it's hot to the touch after a few minutes of use.

Agreed. I hardly got any sleep last night after setting my phone back to the way it was...lo and behold this morning it was still getting hot.
I didn't pay much attention to the temp in the past as it never felt hot, but it has been warmer than usual since the update. It only gets hot when I'm using it for a while, so it doesn't seem to be something running in the background (at least I don't think so, but I'm no expert) It cools pretty quickly once I put it down (which, as you know, is almost impossible after getting a new operating system...my production at work as taken a serious.dive since I received ICS)...

Upvote 0
Ok, so I have has this phone, but am quickly realizing I'm lost. I finally got the ics update this past week (whoo hoo) and am havin some issues. Mainly the battery. It drains a lot quicker and gets a lot hotter. Used to easily last a day, now I'm charging it in the morning and again during the day. I have read on other places that it is also happening to other people so they r being told to factory reset or something. Since I have never done this (I kno what it is tho, so I don't need caught up on any of the advantages/cons of it) I do have a couple questions. A) I do have my.contacts backed up, but is there a way to backup my music and pictures? I just backed them up on my computer, but was wondering if there was an easier way. B) is there a way.to backup my a? Iant to have to redownload every one :/ basically is there a way to backup everything on my phone, if not, what will b lost? Lastly, I'm an idiot and I can't even figure.out how to do the reset. Lol holding the power button just gives me restart and shut down. Help is greatly appreciated! I am loving ics by the way! Only problem is this dam battery!! Also, could it b because I have the extended battery? Doubtful because I have been using it fine before the update, but again, I do not kno :/ think it just needs a factory reboot.

Upvote 0
This is just a hunch on my part, I had heat for a couple of days after installing a custom ICS rom over GB.

The first thing I did was wipe the phone's battery stats (I personally did this through the amon ra custom recovery.) The battery stats are basically Android's record of how long it takes the battery to charge, what rate the battery should be charged at, etc.

Then I followed advice I read somewhere to do a battery cycle. Basically, charge your phone to 100 percent, then use your phone until the battery dies. Leave phone off, recharge to 100 percent (takes about an hour or so), and then turn back on. Repeat this a couple of times to train Android about your phone's battery.

My phone no longer gets hot and my phone is lasting 13-14 hours on full charge; hopefully this will help you.

EDIT: The apps you can use to check if you have an app running wild are Task Manager (an HTC app that comes with phone), the Manage Applications->Running Apps tab in preferences, Battery (MacroPinch) app from store, and SystemPanelLite task manager.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I've also heard the new latest kernel/radios helps with cooling, but have not tried it myself.
I have tried it all! I just got a factory refurb Rezound yesterday to replace my broken ThunderBolt. Booted it up, connected to internet, made a call...no problems! Then I plugged it in to charge it up and noticed that it was pretty warm, but was not too concerned as it was just charged, etc. I noticed it ran a Verizon update, but did not notice what it was, so I checked to see if ICS had updated. It had not, so I checked via the Software Update. It found one, and I installed the ICS update. I again noticed that the phone was running hot, but chalked it up to the update process. A little while later I noticed it was REALLY hot, so I installed Battery HD to check it out and saw that it was pushing 130 degrees and the Battery Health was listed as overheating. I then figured I should turn it off and charge and then start fresh.

After a few hours charging while off I checked, still hot. Booted up and it was running around 120, so I started to do some research and finally ended up here. I tried the factory reset first. It did not change anything. Starts out around 85-90, then quickly rises to around 105 while doing nothing but leaving the screen on (no apps running, no push email, no locators turned on). Nothing installed but Battery HD to monitor. After a few reboots and charges, I decided to try the 4.3.605.2 install (via the link above) this morning around 8am. Update worked fine, but did not seem to help. Battery was close to dead by noon and it is still running around 105-110 on average, with nothing but the screen on. If I run an app or surf the web, it goes up to 125.

I tried fully charging while off, and then turning it on and leaving it on all afternoon with just the screen on (no activity at all). It stayed around 105-110 all day and then went up to around 120 right before the battery died approx 4 hours later. What do you all think. Bad phone? What to try next...Thanks for the advice!!! :)

Upvote 0
My phone has been using battery up faster than before the update. It is also getting very warm. I have tried uninstall apps to no avail. I hope they come up with a solution for this soon.
Factory Reset, if that doesn't work you can install the 4.3.605.2 RUU Global Mode ROM, many users have noted increased battery life and improved temperatures. Or you can just wait until VZW releases it OTA, expected mid to late September.

Upvote 0
I have tried it all! I just got a factory refurb Rezound yesterday to replace my broken ThunderBolt. Booted it up, connected to internet, made a call...no problems! Then I plugged it in to charge it up and noticed that it was pretty warm, but was not too concerned as it was just charged, etc. I noticed it ran a Verizon update, but did not notice what it was, so I checked to see if ICS had updated. It had not, so I checked via the Software Update. It found one, and I installed the ICS update. I again noticed that the phone was running hot, but chalked it up to the update process. A little while later I noticed it was REALLY hot, so I installed Battery HD to check it out and saw that it was pushing 130 degrees and the Battery Health was listed as overheating. I then figured I should turn it off and charge and then start fresh.

After a few hours charging while off I checked, still hot. Booted up and it was running around 120, so I started to do some research and finally ended up here. I tried the factory reset first. It did not change anything. Starts out around 85-90, then quickly rises to around 105 while doing nothing but leaving the screen on (no apps running, no push email, no locators turned on). Nothing installed but Battery HD to monitor. After a few reboots and charges, I decided to try the 4.3.605.2 install (via the link above) this morning around 8am. Update worked fine, but did not seem to help. Battery was close to dead by noon and it is still running around 105-110 on average, with nothing but the screen on. If I run an app or surf the web, it goes up to 125.

I tried fully charging while off, and then turning it on and leaving it on all afternoon with just the screen on (no activity at all). It stayed around 105-110 all day and then went up to around 120 right before the battery died approx 4 hours later. What do you all think. Bad phone? What to try next...Thanks for the advice!!! :)

points for being thorough

since it is so new I would tell them to send you a new one, keep exchanging till they get it right...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones