Overheating on chargeGeneral

1. joela85

joela85 Member

My HOX overheats whenever I use it and it's plugged in. I get the flashing green and red light, this mainly happens when i'm in the car with navigation and music playing. Othertimes when using the phone for general use while on charge. Phone gets hot really quickly.

Have sorted it when in the car by making a mount to fit in front of the air vents and has air conditioning keeping it cool. Less than ideal but for now its ok.

Anyone else having same problem? Is my phone worse than others?
    what should I do?

I understand why it happens, but surely it prooves that it's a crap design!
    Is there something I can do so this doesn't happen? I know about reducing screen brightness, but still doesn't help much.
    thanks

Advertisement
  2. GuitarG20

GuitarG20 Clueless Senior Member Contributor

this used to happen to me all the time when i would use my HOX in the car to navigate or play music (while charging)...do you have a case on your phone? I found that a case aggravated the issue. Also make sure you're all the way up to date; my phone has been running marginally cooler since the latest update (android 4.0.4 and sense 4.0 update for AT&T)
    joela85 likes this.
  3. joela85

joela85 Member

No I don't have a case, I thought that would agrevate the issue as well. Haven't had the update yet as I'm on Orange branded. wish I rooted weeks ago! oh well, hopefully soon and hope that makes a difference, as you say it's only marginally better.

thanks
  4. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! VIP Member

What does your charger pump out? 1Amp or 500mA?
  5. joela85

joela85 Member

I know the one in the car is 500mA at the mo, thought that would be less likely to make the battery overheat as it is doing less work than the 1A, but still overheats when I use the phone and it is plugged in to the mains charger as well in the house.
  6. El Presidente

There's probably not enough charge going to the phone with that charger if you're using GPS and listening to music. Does it charge or does the battery level remain constant or drop? If either of the latter, that is really bad for the battery.

Try with a 1mA charger, see if that makes a difference.
  7. gibbs1984

gibbs1984 Well-Known Member

Using it in the car dock will obviously make it hot especially if you're in a hot country with the sun beaming through the windscreen.

Although charging it should be a little hotter it shouldn't be massively hotter, do you notice it getting really hot when playing games?

Have you downloaded a temperature app from the Play Store to see how hot it is getting as if it's really hot then it can do damage to the phone.

Since 4.0.4 I've found my phone rarely gets hot.
  8. GuitarG20

see i never had the issue while playing games, which is what led me to believe it was mostly because the phone was in my car.
  9. GuitarG20

I just use the battery temperature measuring part of the battery app:
    (google play) but this only measures the battery temperature. I am also interested in an app to measure all of the temperature sensors in the phone
  10. El Presidente

There's an app called System tuner which I use for CPU temp but you might need root to get that to work properly.

It needs root for some functions, I'm not sure if showing CPU temp is one of them.