1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Overkill beta - looking for feedback

Last Updated:

1. vladimir_sas

vladimir_sas Member This Topic's Starter

Hi guys,

I would very much appreciate if you let me know what you think about the game we're currently working on. It's a side-scrolling shoot 'em up with lots of enemies and fast-paced gameplay which we thought was missing from the Android Market. tl;dr you can see what it's all about in the following video:
    Trailer
    A few screenshots:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The game is in beta stage now, and it will be another 2-4 weeks before we release it. We've been playtesting it day and night, but an outside opinion would help a great deal. If you feel that this is your type of game, PM me or post in this thread, and I'll send you the build ASAP. DISREGARD THAT, the game is RELEASED =)

Vladimir
    Lead Developer
    Creative Mobile, Inc

Advertisement
    azrhei, c4v3man and chaz_uk like this.
  2. Ducky1974

Ducky1974 Member

I'd be interested to give it a try; it reminds me of silk-worm and R-type.

3. Dan Fury

Dan Fury Well-Known Member

4. merg

merg Active Member

I'd love to give it a shot.

5. uoY_redruM

uoY_redruM Well-Known Member

Ditto!

Reminds me of R-Type. Think it'd be a BLAST.

6. Lars1

Lars1 Well-Known Member

Me likey!!

I want to play!

7. ogrenator

ogrenator Well-Known Member

ill give it a few hours of playtime sign me up chief! ive been playing skyforce for quite a while now...moved from skyforce on winmo to skyforce on android :)

8. mrmojoz

mrmojoz Well-Known Member

Frames rates holding steady in the upper teens/low twenties on a Moment (sound/music off). Even if there was a dip in FPS I didn't notice any graphics lag or lack of responsiveness in the controls. Impressive, I've played games with weaker graphics on this phone that have performed much worse. I'll do some more testing when I'm not at work.

vladimir_sas likes this.
  9. vladimir_sas

Sent the links/emails to everyone who posted here or PM-ed me.

I suggest you disable texture filtering in the options, it may be a huge performance hit. With the lowest detail settings and all other tasks killed it manages 25-40 fps on our Dream aka G1, dropping to around 15-20 a few times per level (I hope to improve this as well), I think Moment can do much better.

10. mrmojoz

mrmojoz Well-Known Member

That was with Texture Filtering off, it stays around 10 fps with it on. I'll clear any other running tasks and play with it some more. The game is plenty playable at 20fps though, tilt controls are tight as well.

11. ogrenator

ogrenator Well-Known Member

just played it for about 30 mins maxed out all the settings and watched the framerate at the heaviest parts of the first three levels and it never dipped bellow 27...it mainly stayed at 31 thanks to HTC and the fps cap on the EVO...so far the game is a great deal of fun....on the second level the game kept going after i killed everything im guessing something didnt trigger but when i restarted it the level completed ok.. so far the features in it are great and the controls are really good and responsive...the only thing is that at first the controls were very flaky until i calibrated them...if possible maybe have the game do an auto calibration before the start of every level in case the positioning of the person changes...kind of like in home run battle 3d how the acceleromiter recalibrates every time..just a thought :)

keep up the great work!

vladimir_sas likes this.
  12. bais

bais Member

I'm interested in trying this, have a lot of spare time and using Acer Liquid.

13. weeedin

weeedin New Member

I'd love to test this for you. I've always loved this type of game and it seems like you have put together a pretty solid game here.

I'm using a nexus one btw

14. jim2point0

jim2point0 Well-Known Member

I have an HTC EVO running CM6 (AOSP FROYO). The frame-rate limit has been removed and with Froyo, it runs MUCH faster. I'd like to see how this game performs :)

Feel free to toss me it and I'll let you know what I think here.

15. Ducky1974

Ducky1974 Member

Quick play of the first three levels, stock settings and no performance issues (Desire), controls are crisp too, will there be anything like powerups in the game or is it just a case of collect the money?

vladimir_sas likes this.
  16. chaz_uk

chaz_uk Well-Known Member

Can I give it a go?

I can test it on my Nexus One, Archos 5 IT and Dell Streak.

Thanks!

vladimir_sas likes this.
  17. tmaxey1

tmaxey1 Well-Known Member

I'll try it out and email you back the feedback. I usually enjoy this type of game. I am using the Htc EVO.

Thanks,

Screens look good.
    What resolution does the game run?

vladimir_sas likes this.
  18. andy-roid

andy-roid Well-Known Member

i would like to have a play

19. c4v3man

c4v3man Well-Known Member

On my Droid X I'm getting 60-70FPS with texture filtering, 32bit textures, and high detail enabled. I do have the sound off, due to personal preference. Vibration is on and works well.

Regarding what you actually want to hear, yes I like the game. Not quite something I'd normally play but now that I've played it I want to see the finished product. I dislike how the game area goes below where the buttons/HUD are, so it's easy to run your ship into mines down there. Also, the game seems to calibrate it's tilt orientation each time you enter the game (after switching apps).

I would like to see a little storyline in there, but it sounds like you're adding that in. Obviously it's not going to be Shakespeare, but I'd like something cheesy to laugh at and to give a reference point to discuss where you're at with friends.

vladimir_sas likes this.
  20. dakiato

dakiato Member

Sounds like an awesome game. Love to try it out :)

21. Rob_A

Rob_A Well-Known Member

Looks good. Looking forward to playing it.

22. vladimir_sas

Whoa, didn't expect so much attention :) thanks guys. Everyone should get links or emails by now. If you posted here and haven't received the game yet, let me know.

In fact it does calibrate while loading the level, but it's a makeshift solution. There's a better approach in the works, but I'll take a look at the game you mentioned to see how they went about this problem.
    I hope we'll be able to implement a few classic powerups like reduced weapon cooldown. We also have a bunch of original ideas, but these require more time and will probably be added with future updates.
    Noted. Regarding the storyline, yes, we're adding it in.
    It runs the phone's native resolution, but the assets are prepared for 480x320. With linear filtering that should be good enough for screens up to at least 4.0", probably 4.3" as well. I'm a little worried about 5.0" devices though.

23. chaz_uk

chaz_uk Well-Known Member

Plays perfectly with Accelerometer controls on my Archos 5 IT, Dell Streak and Nexus One.
    I'm getting around 40-55 fps on the Archos and N1 but as I suspected earlier, the streak seems to be limited to 30fps but it has no degradation on the games performance.

The graphics do look a little blurry on the Streak and my A5IT but perhaps (it is less noticeable on the N1's smaller screen) there is potential for a "HD" version in future depending on how well this does (or a sequel!)?

I think this type of game would be fun to try on Google TV too when it comes out using an Android handset as a controller. Overall it's fun and as a fan of 2d shooters like R-Type, I welcome these types of games!

24. c4v3man

c4v3man Well-Known Member

Wow, that would be pretty sweet. Honestly the game seems to be heading in a direction where it'd be good enough to be pre-loaded on some devices, or at least a demo. Get on the phone with Logitech!

Also, the game seems to be approachable by n00bs like me as well so keep the lower difficulty settings where they are. Look forward to playing it more and cranking up the difficulty.

25. andy-roid

andy-roid Well-Known Member

thanks its a good game works well on my galaxy portal 2.1 installed