overseas usageSupport

Last Updated:

1. deadsoccer

deadsoccer Member This Topic's Starter

Going overseas in a few weeks mainly for sightseeing. I'm not worried about using my phone (I know it won't work on the networks there) but was wondering if the Moment would be good device to take for checking email and internet in those spots I can get a wifi connection?

Will it even work? or should i take my laptop?

Advertisement
  2. SlyFerret

SlyFerret Well-Known Member

You should be able to get wifi, but I'm not sure if there is a way to turn off the cellular radio. Airplane mode will turn off wifi as well.

If you leave the cellular radio on without service, the phone will run your battery down pretty fast constantly looking for a tower that isn't there.

-SF

3. ABH

ABH Well-Known Member

I was wondering about this the other day (turning off the cell radio, but leaving on the wifi radio). Is that a Sprint setting? Android 1.x setting? General Android setting? Samsung setting?

Ideas?

4. momentoid

momentoid Well-Known Member

Have not used Moment overseas yet, WiFi should work. "Airplane Mode Wi-fi Tool" app claims to leave only WiFi on. Let us know how it works out. Have a good trip.

5. ABH

ABH Well-Known Member

That program works great on my moment for using wifi with the cell radio off. Nice find momentoid.

6. kencrudup

kencrudup Well-Known Member

Yeah, "Airplane Mode WiFi Tool" is also great for when you're on a plane that's got WiFi; if you just try and surf with the CDMA on too as you pass over cell towers at 40,000 ft your phone sees a bunch of 'em and it tries to associate with them, 'causing the connection to try and work via CDMA instead of WiFi.

7. momentoid

momentoid Well-Known Member

:D