• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Overwhelmed by the HTC Desire

I'm in the same (extremely pleased) boat as the OP. Having jumped from a pretty and capable normal phone, Nokia 6500 classic, to the Desire I'm....astounded. Like I've crossed a bridge and I know I can't go back to non-smartphones. One thing that just sashays into my life and blows my other gadgets out of the water.

And the best pleasures are the simple ones. On of my favourite apps on the phone is the FM radio. A feature previous phones I've owned have had but so easy to set up my favourite stations on the Desire that I've rediscovered the joy of mindless DJ chatter. :)

Upvote 0
The W810i was actually the best phone I ever had, relative to the technology available at the time (despite the odd flashing light bug). The HTC Desire is the only phone I've had since that has come close to topping it (I've had an N95 and a Samsung Omnia since)

Obviously the Desire is better in real terms, and specwise, but relative to the time it was released it was a belter.

Upvote 0
Sounds like you folks have had lots of phone in your time LOL When I left the employment of British Telecom after 20 years service I never really wanted to see another phone ever still got my Nokia 2110 still works just keeping it for sentimental reasons

But next week hopefully Tuesday my Desire will arrive hooray!! that will keep my little grey cells busy LOL

Upvote 0
The W810i was actually the best phone I ever had, relative to the technology available at the time (despite the odd flashing light bug). The HTC Desire is the only phone I've had since that has come close to topping it (I've had an N95 and a Samsung Omnia since)

Obviously the Desire is better in real terms, and specwise, but relative to the time it was released it was a belter.
I totally agree! I've got a W810 at the moment, I've been meaning to upgrade for aaaaaaaaages, I nearly got a Hero last year until I saw the threads on this forum about the SMS issues with that handset. The W810's been a great phone, and as you say, it was one of the best ones around at the time. Can't wait to get my desire now though :D Hopefully gonna buy one some time this week.

Upvote 0
I totally agree! I've got a W810 at the moment, I've been meaning to upgrade for aaaaaaaaages, I nearly got a Hero last year until I saw the threads on this forum about the SMS issues with that handset. The W810's been a great phone, and as you say, it was one of the best ones around at the time. Can't wait to get my desire now though :D Hopefully gonna buy one some time this week.

I'm glad it's not just me! I actually still have mine, and it's still operational! I have a cheap Virgin Pay as you go SIM card in it, and I use it as a "Text in" number for my radio show.

You obviously have similar tastes to me, and I really like the HTC Desire so you should like it too when it comes!!

Upvote 0
Sounds like you folks have had lots of phone in your time LOL

This is really sad, but here is my full list of every phone I've ever had from age 18:

Philips Diga - Still got, boxed
Nokia 3210 - Still got, boxed
Nokia 3410 - Still got, boxed
Nokia 6100 - Gave to my mum
Sony Ericsson T610 - Sold on Ebay
Sony Ericsson K700 - Still got, boxed
Samsung D500 - Sold
Sony Ericsson W810i - In use now
Nokia N95 - Recycled (in the freepoooost envelooooope!)
Samsung Omnia - Still got, boxed
HTC Desire - In use now

Upvote 0
This is really sad, but here is my full list of every phone I've ever had from age 18:

Philips Diga - Still got, boxed
Nokia 3210 - Still got, boxed
Nokia 3410 - Still got, boxed
Nokia 6100 - Gave to my mum
Sony Ericsson T610 - Sold on Ebay
Sony Ericsson K700 - Still got, boxed
Samsung D500 - Sold
Sony Ericsson W810i - In use now
Nokia N95 - Recycled (in the freepoooost envelooooope!)
Samsung Omnia - Still got, boxed
HTC Desire - In use now
Between the ages of 13 and 19, I've had a Nokia 3510i and an O2 Ice - I'm now about to get my third phone, the Desire - all I can say is they were awesome phones :D

Upvote 0
Can not wait to get mine. Been stuck with a 5 year old Samsung D600 for awhile so imagine the improvement :D

Jack I have made this very jump. You will quickly forget about the D600 as solid as that handset is. The desire is lightyears ahead. Do I miss anything about the D600? Only the dual speakers. Can I live without them. Damn straight I can.

Upvote 0
Oh dear....these are just MY phones, not even including one's I've had for work:

Mercury/One2One M300
Ericsson (before Sony!) GA628
Panasonic G600
Siemens S35i
Motorola T720
Sony Ericsson T610
Palm Treo 600
Nokia 6260
Orange SPV C500
T-Mobile MDA Compact
T-Mobile MDA Vario
3 x Imate pre-production phones (I worked in telecoms)
LG Chocolate
Nokia 6300
Nokia N73
Nokia N95
Samsung U600
Blackberry 8800
Blackberry 8100
Blackberry 8310
Palm 500V
Sony Ericsson M600
Blackberry 8900
HTC Hero (T-Mobile G2)

Desire is on it's way soon as T-Mobile have stock.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones