OWA AccessGeneral

Last Updated:

1. smokey_vols

smokey_vols Active Member This Topic's Starter

I know this has been discussed before but my frustration is growing. I want to use the default mail client to access my OWA Account from work. When I had a DingleBerry I just put in the UserName and Pass and it worked. What am I doing wrong here? I put mail.company.com in but it fails. Someone PLEASE help!

Advertisement
  2. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

Default mail client to access OWA? Please rephrase that so that it makes sense?

3. SirSlayer

SirSlayer Well-Known Member

I am guessing he means Outlook Work Account?

4. SirSlayer

Did you put the domain in there? Is it an exchange server? Does the server require SSL? If it doesn't then you need to uncheck that option. Give us more info!! Oh and welcome to the forums (noticed that was your first post)

5. smokey_vols

Outlook Web Access. Exchange online basically.

6. SirSlayer

My company uses the same type of web access, but for the phone you still have to put in the domain and check or uncheck SSL depending on the server. So my guess would be do add the domain and try with and without SSL.

7. Slugdoc

Slugdoc Well-Known Member

I work for two corporations. One of them's Exchange works fine with the default mail client, the other simply does not.

I downloaded Touchdown (then bought it) and it configured and worked flawlessly on the troublesome account. Problem solved.

jhewit22 likes this.
  8. smokey_vols

It is an exchange server. When I type in the addy on the web it is https://mail.compeny.com
    I tried SSL and without to no avail.

9. smokey_vols

i keep hearing about Touchdown. I may have to check it out. Its just frustrating to pay 20 bucks when the BB worked flawlessly with just email and pass.

10. smokey_vols

cant type COMPANY :)

11. SirSlayer

Well showing me the address "https" solves the SSL issue. Its required. So now what you may need to do is verify the exchange address. I would goto your IT guy show him the Exchange settings on the phone and verify with him that its correct. Other then that I don't know what to tell ya.

12. smokey_vols

Thank you a BUNCH! I will talk to our Exchange guy tomorrow. I dloaded the test version of Touchdown and it is really nice. Works great.

13. Rubik76

Rubik76 Well-Known Member

Are you not able to get to the login page, or are you able to get to it but not able to log on? Those are two seperate issues, and your post seems to describe both.

If it's the first issue, try adding "/owa" to the end of the URL.

14. smokey_vols

it says cannot connect to exchange server.

EMAIL: me@mycompany.com
    SERVER ADDRESS: What should go here? The URL? https://mail.mycompany.com?
    DOMAIN: What should go here?
    PASWWORD: ****
    SERVER REQUIRES SSL: Checked

15. jhewit22

jhewit22 Well-Known Member

I was having problems getting my OWA set up through the default mail client also...so I went to my tech guru at work (even though she knows less than I do...) anyways...neither of us could get it to work right, even though we KNEW the settings were in correctly. I downloaded the trial of Touchdown and it worked amazingly easy..so I just sucked it up and paid the $20. Well worth it!

16. SirSlayer

smokey_vols likes this.
  17. smokey_vols

It says Authentication failed

18. Rubik76

Rubik76 Well-Known Member

Sorry, I misread your original post. I'd understood you were trying to access OWA via browser. I'm only familiar with OWA as a web front-end for Exchange.

In a typical mail setup, your mail server would just be mail.mycompany.com. Domain would be whatever domain your network is on. If you are on a Windows network, this would be domain you log into on your PC. For example, when I log into the web portal, I log in as domain\username. Not sure if that is of any help.

My settings in the default Eris client are:
    Email Address: me@company.com
    Server Name: mailsubdomain.domain.com
    Domain: WindowsDomain
    Username: WindowsDomainLogin
    Password: WindowsDomainPassword
    SSL: [checked]

19. SirSlayer

I am going to have to say check with your IT to verify the domain name. My companys name is ............. and we use mail............com and the domain name is ............... all lower case. But it could be that they use something else. You could try companyname.com

20. Mojorisen

Mojorisen Well-Known Member

Are you certain that your exchange uses OWA? Most exchanges I see use OMA - just another troubleshooting step. My company uses oma.<company>.com as the server address and the domain could honestly be called anything - check with your IT folks. If you use a Windows machine you could easily get the domain name when you log on to the computer...

Hope this helps a little more.

21. smokey_vols

It was a domain issue. I talked with our Exchange guy and I was missing the -inc part of the .com domain address. mycompany-inc.com but I did have mail.mycompany.com right. Thank you guys for all your replies. This place is great :) Now i REALLY love my Droid

22. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

Great, isn't it amazing how helpful everyone is here? So you downloaded Touchdown? It's a great app for Exchange mail access especially if you have only one account. Are you using the demo or did you buy it? Last question, are you on 1.5 or 2.1? Because if you are on 1.5 and then upgrade to 2.1 the application is different and you need to re-input all your settings. However, no new license key is needed, the same one works. I don't like using OWA on this small of a device, my eyes aren't what they used to be. Glad you got it all figured out.

smokey_vols likes this.
  23. tanders138

tanders138 New Member

Trying to setup my work OWA email and keep getting errors-after reading all these forum suggestions and still getting errors - help
    I set up my personal e-mail account (POP) and works fine. I'm adding my work e-mail which is OWA based and worked great on my BB. I entered my e-mail address and password then clicked on 'exchange account'. It defaulted '/username' in the Domain\Username, defaulted my password in the password field, and defaulted 'company.com' in the exchange server field. On my BB, and my laptop, you access my work e-mail via 'https://rcmail.company.com/owa'. What do I need to be entering in these fields to get the Droid to access my work e-mail? I am allowed access to my work e-mail via my cell or remote from my laptop. I used to be able to receive and respond to e-mails on my BB and need to get this feature working asap on my Droid. HELP!!!

24. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

I feel your pain. First, try to find out if Activesync is enabled on your Exchange server. Which version of Exchange are you on, I'm assuming it's EX2k7? Download Touchdown from the market and give it a try, it's free for 5 days. You might be able to use the built in Droid email app but it sucks. I'll be out for the day but will try to help out tomorrow if you don't get it going. Remember, OWA is very different from activesync. OWA uses a web page whereas activesync is more like the BB delivery system. Nothing beats the BB but you might be able to function just as well if... well, if a lot of things.

25. tanders138

tanders138 New Member

Call me stupid, but now that I have downloaded Touchdown, how do I configure my e-mail?