Own applications on own phone?

Last Updated:

1. mgillespie

mgillespie Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi, I just ordered myself a HTC Hero (well a T-Mobile G2 Touch). I couldn't resist the lure anymore (and the TMobile deal was too good to refuse).

Will I be able to develop my own apps and run them on my phone? Does it only run signed applications from the store?

If I want want run/test my own apps, Is the only way to develop the and test them in the emulator, submit them to the store and then download them via the store? Will I have to sign my apps and pay for a SSL signing key or can I self sign them and run them OK on my G2?

I'm pretty keen to start, I played with a Hero instore and I was VERY impressed....

Advertisement
  2. mrmojoz

mrmojoz Well-Known Member

This isn't an Apple product. ;)

You can develope directly on the phone without using the emulator at all if you wanted to and you can self-sign your programs.

Signing Your Applications | Android Developers

3. mgillespie

mgillespie Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the reply. Been playing with the SDK and the emulator. I was hoping to try out the marketplace in the Emulator, but it does not seem to work. Is it possible? I also wanted to see how Opera Mini worked (until Opera Mobile arrives for Android), but it also refuses to install.

4. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

There's no account login on the emulator, so everything that requires an identity does not work -- the market, mail and calendar, etc. :eek: