owning two android devices

Last Updated:

1. CarsnGadgets

CarsnGadgets Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

If I was to buy and android tablet, could I use the same google account as the one which I use on my Desire?

by this, I mean the account tied to my apps/the app market, and my googlemail account and contacts?

I know apps bought are tied to the account, not the device, so if you have to wipe the phone for example you can download bought apps again from the download list in market., but I'm unsure how that applies if you have 2 or more devices?

eg. If I buy an app on the desire, can I also install that app on my tablet for free?

And Googlemail/contacts, If I access my mail on the tablet, and delete a mail or add/edit a contact is that then reflected on the Desire?

is any of that possible, or would I need a completely separate Google account for the tablet?

cheers.

Advertisement
  2. craggybuk

craggybuk Well-Known Member

Can't help you with the apps part of the question but with the email, if you read an email on one device it will be marked as read on any other method you have of accessing googlemail. You can test this out by reading a new google mail on your Desire and then going into google mail (gmail) on your PC. You will see that the message is already marked as being read. Alternatively, when you read a mail on your PC, it will be marked as read on your Desire. Contacts work in the same way, add them once, view them anywhere.

3. moe3754

moe3754 Well-Known Member

I have the Galaxy tab and yes you can, I have the same on my tab as on my Desire, I only have one paid app that I use for both because I find that the free versions work just fine for what I want and I find that if I am going to read E-mail I prefer the tab because the larger screen is so much better than the Desire, the best part is the wifi hot spots on my Desire work absolutely fantastic with my tab, I did not get any service with my tab because if I am not near a wifi hot spot I just create my own and only have to use my $15.00 unlimited rather than the higher priced package that they are pushing for the tab!!!!

SUroot likes this.
  4. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

I was wondering about tab with hotspot. so thanks.

5. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

I have a Desire and a few days ago, my new Desire HD arrived.
    Now my SIM card is in the new DHD and the old Desire runs only over WiFi (home network).
    Both phone have the same Google account.

As I read your post I looked at the old Desire to my market downloads.
    There was a app I bought and installed on the new DHD. The app was marked as "Paid".
    It was no problem to download and install this app on the old Desire :) (without the SIM card).

So I can use paid apps on both phones.

Although I have not tried it, but I think I can buy apps with the old Desire, too (without the SIM card).

Harry

6. CarsnGadgets

Thanks, with regards to tethering and wifi hotspot, I rang O2 today and was told that tethering would not work at all on O2 unless they activate the service first, and to do that I would have to use their

7. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Well-Known Member

8. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

I can tether on o2. havent got that bolt on.

9. Guamguy

Guamguy Well-Known Member

YES.

You will download all paid apps on your next Android device for free. And the the next, and the next, and the next...ad infinitum.

Yes, assuming the tablet has the Android Market, e.g. Samsung Galaxy Tab, Dell Streak...

Yes.

Yes, its all possible and no you don't need a separate Google account for the tablet.

Assuming you have Android Market in said tablet since many don't.

CarsnGadgets likes this.
  10. CarsnGadgets

Thank you very much, that's great.

11. CarsnGadgets

And it didn't effect your bill at all?

12. moe3754

moe3754 Well-Known Member

Your welcome sir!!

13. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

's funny, I tried it for the first time in the pub the other night when my mate ran out of credit on his PAYG Android; worked fine.

Eep. Time will tell, next time I get my bill. I'll let you know.