Paid $200 see it for $50 still in warranty question.

Last Updated:

1. el98464

el98464 New Member This Topic's Starter

First I want to say that I love this phone and had no plans on returning it within the 30 day period. But I'm seeing deals to get the same phone for $50 and I paid $200 plus tax at AT&T. I'm not cheap and I'm not rich but $150 dollars is a $150 dollars.

Since I'm still within the 30 day period is it possible to take my phone back to AT&T for a refund and just purchase the phone from one of those places that have the deals going on? I've scoured the forum but didn't really find a direct answer and if it was answered somewhere I apologize in advance.

I purchased the phone through an upgrade and I kept my unlimited data plan FYI.

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. skinien

skinien Well-Known Member

The same thing happened to me and I was pleased with the outcome.

I walked into an AT&T store and spoke with a manager. I told him that wal-mart is offering the phone for $99 with a 2-year contract renewal. I told him that I don't really want to return the phone, I just wanted him to refund me the difference MINUS the restocking fee. He credited my account $65 that same day.

It's a win-win - I don't have to deal with setting up a new phone the way I like it and he doesn't have to deal with a return.

If you try this and the manager is a dick, then just return the phone and get it somewhere else.

KEEP IN MIND: I've been hearing that if you renew your contract outside of AT&T (wal-mart, amazon.com) you'll lose your unlimited data plan. That was another reason why I wanted to just get a refund of the price difference - keep an eye on that.

el98464 likes this.
  3. speedfreak32

speedfreak32 Well-Known Member

I would call customer service first they may credit your account they may not. Remind them that you are still within you 30 days and even with a restocking fee you will still come out ahead. They may issue you a $100 credit. The att store matched lets talk and gave me my wifes for $99

el98464 likes this.
  4. Frenzy2223

Frenzy2223 Well-Known Member

If you are referring to the Captivate being $49.99 at wirefly.com, it's only for new activations. I went to order it as an upgrade and it was $99

el98464 likes this.
  5. el98464

Thanks for the replies guys. After work I'm going to put your suggestions to good use. @Frenzy - I didn't look into all the details but even if that was the case i'll still like my $100 or $65 (minus restocking fee) back.

6. jas2k9

jas2k9 Well-Known Member

Just remember, you can return it (stating that the GPS does not work) and not pay that restocking fee, so at least in theory, you should be able to get the full C-note.

el98464 likes this.
  7. el98464

Thanks for the tip Jas, if they're playing hard ball I might just do that. I have to look into the data plans with the other deals because I really don't want to lose my unlimited plan (I plan to tether this baby pretty soon).

8. jas2k9

jas2k9 Well-Known Member

They really can't you are free to return the phone within 30 days if you don't like it, and, if it has a problem you can exchange it or return it without paying anything but your usage time.

If I were you, and elected to keep the Captivate, I would go in and offer that, this phone has a defective GPS, I am willing to try another, but only on the following conditions: 1) I can return the phone again if the GPS continues to not work and 2) you match the price that I can the phone for at this place (then produce a screen shot or printout of the place you are referring to).

Other than this, I'd just return it and get it elsewhere - even if that means another ATT or ATT authorized store.

I returned mine because I just am not presently comfortable with where the OS and hardware are in relation to where I hope they are in the next year or so.

There were a host of issues with my phone - ATT took it back and I obtained an iphone (there is both good and bad with it too), at the same time - there was never any mention of a restock fee.